1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thor

Discussion in 'Terran' started by ShoGun, Jul 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Thor

Discussion in 'Terran' started by ShoGun, Jul 17, 2007.

1. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    Which it wouldn't be with the thor.

Which has even less chance of happening than the rest of the absurd paranoia.

2. NateSMZ

NateSMZ New Member

Liftoff Tech is the best option... I hope Blizzard puts it in the game and the paranoid will settle down after they see it in-game.

Salvaging units just feels silly.

3. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Is it paranoia or is it people who are resistant to change bullshitting to get their way?

4. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    Ummm... the two sounds like they are one and the same. Is this a trick question BoP?

5. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    No. Paranoia would be if they are genuinely scared of something for no reason. Bullshitting is that they are just pretending to be wary of something in order to spark discussion and gum up the works eventually getting your way

6. ShdwyTemplar

ShdwyTemplar New Member

Tacoma, Washington
    I think what we are experiencing is a mixture of both. I also fully agree with Remy as his points make the most sense. Besides its a Thor... nuff said.

7. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    The Thor is the Battlecruiser of the ground if you see a few you are going "OH shit" but if you keep your cool you can survive. In fact I think the BC is more dangerous and possibly lower on the tech tree

8. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    I was kidding BoP. And kind of making a point at the same time. People can't never tell when I'm not serious for some reason. Even in real life...

9. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Sorry, Sarcasm is one of the things hard to pick up from print.

10. hillzagold

hillzagold New Member

i still haven't heard any damned proof that bombardment uses mp

11. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    That's the problem. We haven't heard much of anything besides the fact it has bombardment

12. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    My response to that was "as far as I know." I really gives a damn if it is a energy costing ability or not. It doesn't effect the liftoff idea one damn bit. Stop coming up with more damn crap without any real logical arguments.

13. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    I have yet to see an argument that made any sense as to why the liftoff ability is going to make the Thor OP. Any of the situations you may find yourself in with a floating Thor could just as easily be replicated with an SCV that simply builds the damn thing in that position. I think it's pretty obvious that whether its reliant on energy or cooldown, the AS ability isn't going to be used continually, so you should be rather safe even from ranged attacks from a Thor at a distance without support units.

But in any case, a Thor at any distance preparing to attack your defenses shouldn't be ignored. And if at Tier 3 you don't have the ability to counter it, the game was over before the Thor even appeared.

14. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

at the moment bc only requires barracks -> factory -> starport -> techlab addon -> deep space relay
    the tech lab can be prebuilt so it only need one more building after starport.

the thor need barracks -> factory -> armory -> munitions depot
    so the requirement is similar

15. hillzagold

hillzagold New Member

"as far as i know"? you mean 'i would imagine', becuase you have nothing at all to base it on. but i'll drop it.

anyways, you guys have been saying that it would be easy to defend against if it lifted off. well yes, but not easy enough. it would still be able to do some damage after landing. all the more so if you have another attack somewhere else. you say that the thor would be more useful in said other attack, but the thing is that it could be at both.

16. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    Any unit could be at any attack at any point of the game. The point is that you're supposed to counter it. If there's no obvious and/or practical way to counter an ability or unit, that would be considered overpowered. It's not when it's difficult to do something.

Considering that there are hundreds of reasons why a player should be able to kill the Thor before it has a chance to land, I wouldn't categorize this ability as overpowered. Saying it is, to me, is just saying it for fun...

Also, I don't care how much HP you have, the thing wouldn't survive a base attack like that when drawing concentrated fire. Might a player be able to land it with the support of other units? Yes. But in that case it's pretty balanced since it requires a force simply to cover it while it lands, etc.

17. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    If you can't keep a Thor from landing in your base you are screed anyway since the way to stop a Thor landing would be lots of AA. if you don't have that then whats to stop your enemy from shredding your marines with banshees and hitting your base with battlecruisers. If you can't counter a flying Thor which would be relatively weak in that state you should just give up because that means you can't defend against any sort of island hopping strategies.

18. NateSMZ

NateSMZ New Member

^ good point... If you can't stop a building attack... how would you ever stop actual aerial units - designed with air to ground capability - from attacking?

you can't stop a thor from getting close? well then you can't stop battlecruisers either - and they move a lot quicker and can unleash their firepower a lot more suddenly

19. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    Actually, any unit can only be at one place at any given time. A thor that's thrown away for free target practice for the enemy on the Mission Impossible: Snail Landing, is a thor that is not knocking on the enemy's front door. It can't be at both places. Can you have more than one thor and have thors at both places? Yes. Would that make the thors wasted on the stupid landing strat somehow count as being at both places? No.

It would be stupid to waste your resources on thor(s) just to have some to send on a suicide mission. The same resources can be better spent on just about anything else. Tanks being siege units would actually be suitable for that job, for instance. Just because something can be done, doesn't mean it's viable. Don't argue imbalance with an extremely forced scenario. It is entirely possible to fly factories onto an enemy's wall and pump tanks to siege their base. And oh yes you can have tanks going in from the front at the same time too. Factory needs its liftoff stripped and be made salvageable.

20. hillzagold

hillzagold New Member

i was unaware that the siege tank build time was so short.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.