1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thor vs Siege Tanks

Discussion in 'Terran' started by BirdofPrey, Sep 25, 2007.

Thor vs Siege Tanks

Discussion in 'Terran' started by BirdofPrey, Sep 25, 2007.

1. Vindicatormsc

Vindicatormsc New Member

surely,the Thor will be the unit that seperates the newbies from the pros.normally,a player with no experience may even try to mass Thors.that may very well be his doom.Thors will be very a very strategical unit,and i really like it.the siege tank is something of a no-brainer:you put some marines.Goliaths with it,deploy siege mode and you're done (of course this is VERY hipothetical,but i think you got my idea).With the Thors,the decision to use them may ensure your victory,or may cost you the match.i think that's why i liked the Thor ever since i saw him(and got to know his weakness):there are no "safe victory" strategies involving it.if you use Thors,you have to take a risk.

2. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    There should never be any safe victories no matter what units you have. You should always work towards a victory and if you don't have to try then there is a problem

3. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    The hardened shields reduce all damage to 10. So at the most, the Thor would do 20 damage, only if it's attacks are calculated as two strikes.

4. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    That's still better than the tank

Besides it reduces damage to 10 but what is the threshold? Is it any amount over 10 or is it something like the shield activates at 25+ damage?

5. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    It's any amount over 10.

6. WuHT

WuHT New Member

Tech tree wise.. Thor seems to replace or at least conflict with Battle cruisers as the proverbial "big gun" of the Terran forces.

The protoss had both a ground "mega" unit.. in the form of carrier and archon .. but the Thor seems immensely more powerful than the Archon (well its only a 4 food guy..but its up there)

7. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

if the enemy decides to zergling rush you, you will only have basic units, you certainly won't have a thor

8. Larvitar

Larvitar New Member

If the enemy zergling rushes you you put up supply depots. If Banelings come i suppose using thors and siege tanks would make more sense. If the enemy rushed hydralisk I suppose D8s could come in handy....

9. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

i hope lategame zergling rushes will rule again, so that the thor will kick ass

10. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

900hp, im just going to post this number untill you see how the thor is different than the siege tank

900/6 = 150

11. Unentschieden

Unentschieden New Member

I don´t understand that the Thor will need intensive support to stay alive. It is there to be shot at, also 900HP and 2 BASE armor are quite forgiving. Of course you will have to pay attention to it and it won´t be able to operate on it´s own.
    The 250mm cannons won´t oneshot Planetary Fortresses, but it is quite realistic to assume it will oneshot static defenses. The only other ability that comes close might be the Yamato gun but that one is a bit weaker and single target.
    I´d expect them to be front line units and "linebreakers" for base assaults.

12. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    They will probably see use similar to that of a superweapon form other games where you use them to punch a hole in the outer defenses of a base so you can kill the soft undefended inner buildings

13. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    The reason they can't go unsupported is that they only do 20 damage, and I'm assuming that even if it doesn't have all that slow of a cooldown for its regular attack, its speed will severely limit its ability to attack large masses of units.

Therefore it will require unit support at all times so as to avoid its death. Even with 900 health (pretty similar to a building) a large number of units swarming near it will certainly destroy it very quickly. It's not like it could just wade through a large number of units or just hope to take enough of them out to stay alive.

If attacked by 12-15 Zealots, I'm assuming it would be killed with 8-9 Zealots remaining.

14. Unentschieden

Unentschieden New Member

There is a small misunderstanding. The Thor need backup for damage reasons, not survivability. Very few units can operate on their own, but for different reasons. The Thor needs backup not because it is fragile but because it deals relativly less damage, not counting the 250mm.

15. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

1 tank (siege mode) = less enemy casualties.

1 thor (artillery mode) = more enemy casualties.

1 tank (tank mode) = less enemy casualties.

1 thor (normal attack mode) = more enemy casualties.

tank 200 mineral 125 gas.
    thor 300 minerals 300 gas.

thor = 3 tanks. if you know how to handle the thor. so its cheaper. one or more thor is better and practical rather than massing all tanks.

16. GuiMontag

GuiMontag New Member

Thor doesnt have 900hp, the gameplay trailer has outdated stats it is now 700.

17. JDMFanatic

JDMFanatic New Member

I would never have more than 2 Thors at once...
    I would probably send in 2 Thors to tank the attack, M&M, and Tanks... Maybe Vikings and Banshees too.

18. Unentschieden

Unentschieden New Member

Making the Thor a situational Siege Tank alternative might work... actually that would be quite interesting if they can balance it that they would not replace each other.

19. TerranGod

TerranGod New Member

what?!?!? thors only do 20 damage? WTF for a REALLY strong unit like that only does 20 damage?
    im outraged!

20. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    It may be 30. Also, TerranGod, please refrain from quoting unnecessarily.

The max attack that I've heard with its normal attack is 30, but I believe it's 20. And yes, it's a really strong unit that does hardly any damage relatively. It's a meat shield.