1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thor poll

Discussion in 'Terran' started by -LT-, Oct 15, 2007.

?

What do you think? Should Thor:

1. Stay as it is

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Get modified and have another role

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Be kicked out of the game

0 vote(s)
    0.0%

Thor poll

Discussion in 'Terran' started by -LT-, Oct 15, 2007.

1. Seradin

Seradin New Member

Aiur
    please add another option "Only Available in campaign mode"

2. Trooper_Lozer

Trooper_Lozer New Member

meh, i like the thor how it is thank you very much. I like its bombard ability, really goes well with the terran, and i like how it has little mobility. Terran are meant to be slow moving guys, they siege and destroy little by little (hence the "siege" tank).

3. i2new@aol.com

i2new@aol.com New Member

I think the thor should have its normal attack do a soft splash and the cannon on its back should be like a yamoto blast requiering energy.

4. Hunter_wow

Hunter_wow New Member

The terran got the battlecruiser and that is enought. The Thor was a stupid idea form the start. It´s big, slow and powerful, but starcraft is all about speed and that´s why I hate slow units. Should not exist. Battlecruiser can at least fly.

5. CaptainPicard

CaptainPicard New Member

I'd be interested, as I wrote earlier, in seeing the Thor be able to carry some sort of very-long-range, slow-firing weapon like a cruise missile of sorts. A human-like Reaver. Each shot would be manufactured on board, and be fired from those cannon-like things (after some alterations) on its back. Thus, the Thor would serve to fire the opening salvo of a siege, and thereafter be able to defend tanks.

Which is why its role should be modified from a single, slow, mid-range weapon that it has for its standard attack into one that is more effective against air units.

6. IO

IO New Member

I don't think it should be removed but instead added as a mission only unit not buildable in mulitplayer which would add another plot device to the game which would make sense based on the "unit lore" stated about on the homepage.

Also: It might be a good idea to add a "Your own idea" option in the poll.

7. ShdwyTemplar

ShdwyTemplar New Member

Tacoma, Washington
    I say make it so the Thor is linked to a building built in a base. It must remain within the buildings radius and it will not be able to move beyond the perimeter of the buildings field. Makes it turn faster and have a small boost ability. Leave the rest of it alone and you have a Incredible Base Defender. Change complete.

Or

Make the Thor have a "Deploy" ability similar to the Siege Tank, that is a good deal stronger, but it is also restricted by the building movement as above.

8. Sagathox

Sagathox New Member

no, it should leave, they could create a new unit, cool enough to replace the thor, because i think it overlaps too much, so lets hope blizzard gets some cool ideas on new units

9. DE.50

DE.50 New Member

Washington
    What if they changed the normal attack to a laser gattling gun attack that drains energy as it shoots, but doesn't stop shooting while units are in range. The thor would lose it's artillery in the process, but this new attack would be highly effective against infantry as it would also have a slight splash to account for the inaccuracy of a gattling gun in addition to a very fast shot that does decent damage. Despite losing the artillery the thor would still be good at static defenses because of its high hp and armor lets it tank them while other units bring them down. Or it could still have the artillery, but only in story mode.

10. Themacman

Themacman New Member

I think that the artillery should be one of two upgrades. you should be able to decide between what i think it is, a heavy support, or being a unit with slow firing cannons with a long range. So when you have build it, then you decide what you need and upgrade it with Artillery cannons on its back or, long range slow firing, guns or lasers.

11. Overling

Overling New Member

I posted it on another thread, but to get a better response out of it and not waste a yet new topic on it, I'll post here too:

Make Thor artillery cost money, and have a fast building time, like Scarabs or interceptors. If every time you wanna fire you have to pay, it changes a lot. Firstly because it doesn't have to wait till its energy is full, making fast-build near an enemy base very lethal, if you've got enough money for both (fast-build a Thor, which must be expensive, and the bullets). Secondly, it is better to use Siege-tanks, as they fire for free, but don't do so much stacked damage, or are as resilient. Thirdly, it isn't a ground BC anymore, as it doesn't have to wait for energy recharge, and can't be countered by EMP shockwave.

Fourthly, its downside would be the enormous amount of cash spend on this attack, even if it is a very effective one. After all, Thor is slow and wouldn't get out while targeting the enemy. It stays alive as long as it can, repaired by the SCV(s) that built it, while protecting them with its Huge armor/HP/Size. The SCVs are unarmored, so a counter to Thors (armored) wouldn't hurt SCVs that much.

Simple, and yet makes a lot of difference. What you guys think?

12. Themacman

Themacman New Member

Nah, i think it would be to expensive. Like i hope that the interceptors for carriers will be free in SC2. I mean didn't we pay enough in the start !?! :p

13. Overling

Overling New Member

If they make it cost effective, I think it would be a good way to bring it up and down at same time: up for its more dynamic way of using; and down for its heavy burden of mineral spending. These would force the players to control their money better and to directly apply it in damaging the enemy.

In the middle of a battle, one could choose whether or not to spend money on building rounds. If the loaded Thor is killed, the money applied is lost. Nukes are already a spendable attack. Why not make a more dynamic, differently applied attack?

Ghosts are devastating attackers that are easily killed when found. With this, Thors would be less devastating attackers that are hard to kill and will shoot again if you don't take'em down. A totally different strategy.

14. Themacman

Themacman New Member

then why not make depots for the bullets that the thor uses, and before the battle starts you load the thor up. Then you have to decide how many bullets you want to create in your depots.

15. Overling

Overling New Member

Maybe lore-wise this could be the explanation for munition depots, but I think it would be better for each Thor build up rounds individually (in lore, they would be shopping from munitions depots and loading them). Just like each BC has its energy and choice of arms. If you put it into the Munitions depots, all Thors can load them, and it makes it too easy to use. A Thor spawn nearby your base would be born with countless pre-made bullets? Well, at least I think it would be exaggerated. But anything can be tweaked.

16. Chax424

Chax424 New Member

A
    I see no problem with the Thor, lets keep it.
    The Terrans we know can counter it.
    Im thinking a swarm of Zerglings along with some Mutalisks could take one on.
    and Warprays would be devastating against them.
    They seem balanced enough.

17. Overling

Overling New Member

But we're talking about role overlapping, not overpowering. As it is, it kind of is similar to BCs and Siege-tanks.

18. Tibalt[terranz]989

Tibalt[terranz]989 New Member

I really wish they would remove the Thor from the game. If they're just going for a impressive looking heavy firepower unit Im sure they could come up with something better and more Terran like that some huge cumbersom mech.

19. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

THOR is TERRAN.

just look at the marines. they look ike small armored MECHS. THOR will be the pinnacle of terran mobile vehicle not tanks etc.

THOR / MECHS / GUNDAMS / did i mention MECHS = PWNZ ANYTHING SCI FI!... in SCI FI MECHS OWNS not clones not x fighter not death stars not siege tanks. =p
    starcraft 2 is set in the year 2400+ its about time the TERRAN GET SOME MECH.

20. Heavyarms2050

Heavyarms2050 New Member

A unit can be badass all it wants, but if it has no strategical value, nobody will build it