1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Zerg Roach

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by ShoGun, Mar 11, 2008.

The Zerg Roach

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by ShoGun, Mar 11, 2008.

1. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    ItzaHexGor not because I want the discussen with the Air units again... but ultralisks arent tier 4, they are Tier 3.5 (hive + cavern)!

2. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Read the post. I said that going by what SubTachyon said, it would mean that Ultralisks have to be Tier 4, and that I didn't think that there was one.

3. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    Oh sorry, I was reading wrong...
    I can see you are sick of all those people not knowing the tiers too :D

4. Overling

Overling New Member

Ever heard of Terran Marines?! lol And I already mentioned the possible use of Roaches in Overlord Harassment, a thing that Hydras wouldn't do as they aren't as fast moving as the Roach.

On mythological names: and what the hell do you guys take an Hydra for?! There are Hydras as a marine creature, but I'm guessing that the one to spit poison and to spread like a plague is the mythological one. Being snake-like, both Gorgons and Hydras are somewhat similar, just like the units. The difference is that Hydras have snake-like bodies, while Gorgons have snakes in their heads. Remember the "blades" everyone took as Roaches' melee way of attacking? I think these units share a resemblance that would fit perfectly the name correlation.

And Vikings aren't mythical, btw! lol The closest terran names are the Thor and Bashee, and these are humanoids, not monstrous, which to me can place them in a different category.

But putting that aside, I was thinking if the Roach couldn't have a slowing effect on the enemy when shooting. Zergs lost that ability as of now, and it would be nice to see the slowing-goo make a come-back in a more interesting way. This way Roaches and Hydras could be further differentiated and they could in turn make the Roach's attacks even weaker to make it up for its slowing effect. It would suit them well as hit-and-run attackers, imo. Would allow them to properly escape, regen, and return.

5. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Urrr, dude... Marines are Ground units, not Air units.
    Also giving Zerg a bonus for countering Overlords pretty much cancels itself out because both teams get the advantage.

6. ZeR[g]LiNg

ZeR[g]LiNg New Member

I don't understand, though. If Mutalisks are Tier Three and Hydras are Tier Three, then nothing is Tier two for Zerg. And going by that thinking, Ultralisks are Tier 5 because you have to go Spawning Pool-Liar-Queen's nest(Or whatever you need in order to get hive)-Hive-Ultralisk Cavern.... 5 buildings...

7. [LightMare]

[LightMare] New Member

no:p he said marines are ground anti-air units.

8. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    ZeR[g]LiNg
    Zerglings are Tier 1
    Roaches are Tier 1.5
    Hydralisks are Tier 2 (Lair)
    Mutalisks are Tier 2 (Lair)
    Ultralisks are Tier 3 (Hive)
    Its a bit more complicated, but this is the most easy way to show it!

9. Overling

Overling New Member

O_O Man, I swear I've read "air-attackers" in the sense of "attackers of air", not "from air"! xDDDD I couldn't believe when I read, and even tried re-reading when I did! xD Ok, deepest apologies, I totally confused myself this time! *still laughing about it* But I still don't get what does Roaches got to do with it, since they would be GtA attackers (which is why I confused all this, btw).

And what about giving them the slowing goo! I thought this was a pretty interesting idea...

10. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    Roaches, arent they GtG?

11. SubTachyon

SubTachyon Guest

Why do people keep asking the same questions. Roaches, CURRENTLY, are GtG only. End of discussion.

12. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    I know ST. My questions wasnt really a question...
    If you read the post before you would see:

13. SubTachyon

SubTachyon Guest

Sorry its hard to see sarcasm in a single sentence. Besides, in Soviet Russia we have no such thing as Sarcasm.

14. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    I know I know!
    You liked the name ST? (siege tank, Sub Tachyon)!

(whole russia is sarcasm)
    ^That was sarcasm
    ^That was sarcasm
    ^That was sarcasm

Ok I should stop spamming now, after all this isnt Spam Land!

I must say, Im beginning to see how the roach could fit the race! But I dont like that we get so man, Micro-intensive units. Especially not, if Blizzard is making the game even faster...

15. Overling

Overling New Member

Where did you ever read that Roaches were GtG? I think Jon stated that the difference between Roaches and Hydras were that Hydras shoot faster and with different bonuses. I've never read it was or wasn't: this was a previous discussion on should the Roach have or not GtA (because mainly, we haven't seen this info anywhere yet). Earlier people were asking even if it was melee... xD

16. Tankman131

Tankman131 Guest

Ha Ha you collapsed on yourself

The roach seems like it resembles the lurker WAY to much and it seems like the perfect early mass units, so the other races shuld be abl;e ot get an early game reaction to the units.
    EVen if the roach was GTA, and its not, it would be way overpowered having such an easy GTA masser

17. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    As i already wrote to Jon, Blizzard made a mistake in their tool-tip of the Zerg.
    I cant find a trustworthy link right now (Im in a hurry), but my words and this site should be enought:
    http://www.starcraft-source.com/forums/index.php?act=Print&client=printer&f=8&t=2613

Lead Designer - Starcraft II | Blizzard Entertainment "

More info
    "The Roach shooting air was an error in the tooltip. It doesn't currently shoot air so I don't think it has too much overlap with the Hydralisk.

18. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Roach ranged ability?
    by wr3k
    11 Mar 2008, 07:27
    http://www.starcraft2.com/screenshot.xml?s=71

Notice the green ooze on the left that looks like its flying at the stalkers on the cliff, there are several more of these green blotches, all of them have a roach facing in the direction of the potential projectile and have a toss unit in the same direction. Any ideas? Wild speculations?
    Re: Roach ranged ability?
    by Cavez
    11 Mar 2008, 17:37
    The Roach shooting air was an error in the tooltip. It doesn't currently shoot air so I don't think it has too much overlap with the Hydralisk.

19. SubTachyon

SubTachyon Guest

Psionicz: Perhaps they still retained their range attack but only against ground, like vulture.
    Also rememebr that everything has been changed atleast 5 times so the screenshot might be from previous build.

20. ZeR[g]LiNg

ZeR[g]LiNg New Member

But, the thing is, it's not just building the lair to get Hydralisks. Okay, let me give you an example.

Marines-Tier one, 1 buildings need.(Barracks)
    Zerglings-Tier One, 1 building needed(Spawning Pool)

Vikings-Tier Three, 3 buildings needed(Barracks, Factory, Starport)
    Hydralisks-Tier Three, 3 buildings needed(Spawning Pool, Lair, Hydralisk den)

And going with that,

Ultralisks-Tier Five, 5 buildings needed(Spawning Pool, Lair, The building requirement for Hives, Hive, Ultralisk Cavern)

Of course, the above way of thinking is illogical, or else, there'd be no Tier two or Four. So, tihnking logically, Hydralisks are Tier Two because the upgrade from hatchery to liar counts only as half of a Tier, and the hydralisk den completes the tier.

So if any units could be made by just upgrading to the lair, it'd be Tier 1.5, and any unit that needs a building after upgrading to lair but before the hive is counted as Tier Two. Get what I'm saying? I was just pointing out the flaw of Hydralisks being Tier Three now, but in the form of a question with my above post.

But why would the roach be Tier 1.5?

So the roach really doesn't have anything to do with the Hydralisk except they're both part of the Zerg.

I'm thinking that the roach will be the main harasser unit; I can't think of any other roles, except to lead troops and divert fire from the main army. But then, that'll be taken by the ultralisk later. I want a definite rolse, though. It'd be awesome if Roaches could move underground. Attack a group of units, burrow and keep following them, then suddenly jump up after healing. =D. Or maybe be able to climb up cliffs and glide.