1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Zerg Roach

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by ShoGun, Mar 11, 2008.

The Zerg Roach

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by ShoGun, Mar 11, 2008.

1. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    Overling if the roach had an air attack, wouldnt it just be a Hydralisk with fast regen? And even thought we had a GtA (hydra) in Starcraft 1, it wasnt used in ZvZ (Ill not go longer into this one, because 3 sites more with SC1 is just to much :D)...

2. Overling

Overling New Member

This should answer your doubt. ;)

EDIT: I would also like to propose the exchange of the name Zerg Roach for Zerg Gorgonlisk. Gorgon is a mythological monster, just like the Hydra. And they're somewhat similar. I think Gorgonlisk would be very much fitting, as gorgons were said to have healing properties in their blood. Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gorgon

3. WuHT

WuHT New Member

not to be picky, but the transistion to the suffix "lisk" should end with a vowel .. such as mutA, ultrA, hydrA...easier to say. Obviously Gorgolisk sounds silly, so i can't suggest anything right now.

It'll be difficult to find a spot for the roach imo, because the returning zerg ground forces already cover so much.

And furrer -
    I mean you keep saying you're worried about hydras being slightly slower to come into play , but all that is speculation on how effective corsairs (if they return) are. You're over-reacting right now.

4. i2new@aol.com

i2new@aol.com New Member

any one noticed the hydralisk coast more now? 100m-50g

thats kinda messed up... poor zerg. there first 4 units can't fend off air. I guess i know what i'm aiming for agenst zerg. :)

5. marcusrodrigues

marcusrodrigues New Member

Brazil

Hmmmmmm, using Mythological beings for naming is a Terran trait, not Zerg... Thor, Goliath, Viking, Valkirye, etc.. ;-)

6. perfey

perfey New Member

The Zerg doesnt have Wikipedia:)

7. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    Its the Terran who name them after all. But really Gorgons, wasnt that Medusa and her 2 sisters?

8. ZeR[g]LiNg

ZeR[g]LiNg New Member

Goliath isn't mythology -.-

Yeah, but it's the Terran who name them. The Zerg don't need names for themselves. Even if they did need names, they wouldn't call each other by the racial names. Just like we don't say to each other "DO that, human" or "Hey, human," or "hey Asian"

Lol

But the teran are named after norse figures. I wonder if the Zerg will be Greek Mythology and Protoss will be Egyptian mythology? Lol.

I love the roach

9. SubTachyon

SubTachyon Guest

Arent you starting to diverge from the topic too much?
    Lets whine about hydras vs roaches again! That was fun!

10. i2new@aol.com

i2new@aol.com New Member

lol, i'm upset the roach has take the nice coast of the former hydralisk and pushed it away. Personaly looking at it now i kinda feel fast air can hurt zerg since drops, zerglings, roachs, and a queen can't attack air.

11. SubTachyon

SubTachyon Guest

12. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Apart from, as SubTachyon said, Creep Tumours being able to attack Air targets, the Zerg don't need any Tier 1 Anti-air units, because no team has any Tier 1 Air attackers. They only need Anti-Air attackers when the enemy can get Air units, which is at Tier 2. By Tier 2 Zerg players can have both Mutalisks and Hydralisks.

13. ZeR[g]LiNg

ZeR[g]LiNg New Member

Okay, what I'm getting is that Hydralisks are considered Tier Three since you have to go Spawning Pool-Lair-Hydralisk Den. So you have to build three buildings. But, then, in SC, it was the same for Mutas, except it's the spire.... Were mutalisks considered Tier three? Then, that means Zerg had and have no Tier two units.... Now I'm confused D=

And are there any Tier Two air attackers? For terran, vikings are tier three, aren't they? They're made from starport... and Pheonixes need Gateway-Cybernetics Core (Or whatever it is, I don't care about buildings)-Stargate. So what seems to be the problem?

But what's to say that SC's and the queen can't take care of them? Why is everybody complaining so much? Dang... Lol, unless I'm on drugs right now and not thinking straightly, why does no one want to think properly instead of blurting(Posting) whatever comes to their mind?

BTW, what tier is the roach on? Does the Roach den require the lair? Is it Tier Three or One?

14. i2new@aol.com

i2new@aol.com New Member

from what i can tell the tier 2 unit for zerg is the roach witch i have not seen used in any of the game play matches from the asin build.

as for the zerg having no air attacks, i'm not 100% sure but how fast can terrans reach an air unit. how fast can the viking get its air mode?

15. Spacechick

Spacechick New Member

Um....... the viking always has it air mode,no need to upgrade or require anything if my memories is right
    Doesn't roach have a air attack?

16. i2new@aol.com

i2new@aol.com New Member

i think i rember some where on a video where u had to upgrade the air form for the viking, but even then can you use the viking to do effective air raids on zerg with them lacking mobile AA units? I think the zerg defence is good at keeping them a away for a while but they wont last, and ucan bet your sox it hes getting vikings then banshees will be showing up soon. (this cant be said for protoss sence the phoenix no longer hits ground. but a warpray if its even possible to get bofore the enemy has the right counter would be nice too. altho i still see terrans being better at this since the can swap add-ons and get high units a bit faster.

17. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    I'm not exactly sure about what classifies what Tier, but all that really needs to be said is this;
    By the time your opponent can attack air, you should be able to attack air, and vice versa. Basically, Mutalisks are gotten at the same time as Vikings which are gotten at the same time as Phoenixes (I think). There is no need for the Hydralisk to be moved so it's acquirable earlier in the game, nor does the Roach need to have an Anti-Air attack, because there are no Air units to defend against at that stage of the game. By the time your enemy has Air units, you can have air units, and seeing as Hydralisks are able to be acquired at the same stage as Mutalisks, they too will still be able to be used as early Anti-Air attackers/defenders.

18. SubTachyon

SubTachyon Guest

I read somewhere that hydra is tier 2 now but so far it was like this:
    Tier one: Queen, zerlings.
    Tier two: Roach
    Tier three: Mutalisks and hydralisks (mabye something else irrelevant)

However, the Roach does not have GtA attack. So the first GtA unit appart from queen is hydralisk. However at the same tier you can get mutalisks which isnt much more expensive than hydralisk which leads me to conclusion that so far hydras will be build for lurkers. Ofcourse it may be used for air in ground raids but I dont like the fact that you have to build very inefficient. expensive unit in order to get atleast some GtA, compared to the marines or stalkers.

19. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    I thought that, overall, there were three Tiers. For Zerg, the Hatchery is basically Tier 1, the Lair is basically Tier 2 and the Hive is basically Tier 3. Going by what you've said, the Ultralisk would have to be Tier 4, and it might just be that I've never heard of it before, but I didn't think there was a Tier 4.
    It really doesn't matter what Tier what unit is though, because all teams get Air units at the same stage (barring the Overlord) so Air units will always be able to be countered.

20. SubTachyon

SubTachyon Guest