1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Zerg Roach

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by ShoGun, Mar 11, 2008.

The Zerg Roach

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by ShoGun, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Overling

Overling New Member

Yeah, what's messed up is that I clearly stated that interceptors do low damage and sometimes take a while to return. Focus-fire is useful for dealing a large amount of time in a small amount of time. But Interceptors, although hitting in sequence, don't hit all at the same time and hit very low. The regen-rate, if fast enough, could make it up for most of the damage done by one carrier. So, in order to kill a roach, one would need to focus several carriers in it, but there are always many roaches and if they move fast and a carrier doesn't, I can see these roaches getting away with it and not being stopped by these carriers before doing what they have to do.

To put it simply: I'm not saying Carrier focus-fire doesn't kill roaches, I'm saying it shouldn't be very effective because of their low damage per interceptor and long cooldown.

2. Gforce

Gforce New Member

Unless the carries have more intercepters this time.

3. Overling

Overling New Member

Oh yeah, that's a possibility... thanks for bringing that up! :eek:

4. Gforce

Gforce New Member

Hooray for simple ideas!

5. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    Focus fire by Zealots and Stalkers should do the job.

6. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    Having an observer with your army would be helpful too. If they burrow you are screwed. By the way, even more interceptors at the carrier? Look at them those things pooring out the carriers at the official website. If there would be even more of them, then the whole screen is going to be filled with them when they attack...

7. Gforce

Gforce New Member

You saw so many becuase there was three. They probably have eight per carrier again, but an upgrade for more would be nice.

8. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    He didnt say he saw many, but how terrible many would look Gforce!

9. Gforce

Gforce New Member

Its not going to be any different from SC1 carrier attack and how could it look terrible? If you have a good enough graphics card you should be fine.

10. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    How terrible if there were +8

11. Gforce

Gforce New Member

if there was an upgrade for them, they would only add two interceptors. So just 80 of them, not so bad. The same thing can be said about the zerg rush, there's going to be alot more of them then interceptors.

12. ekulio

ekulio New Member

To get back on topic...
    I like the new roach but I think the name is silly, and also as people have said it's hard to tell apart from the lurker.

I don't think it's overpowered. it's like the reverse of the immortal. Tanks will probably still destroy it really quickly, and I doubt the regeneration rate is so insane that it could take out most mid or high tier units 1v1. It will be really useful early game.

13. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    But really, zerg isnt about taking units out 1vs1, but 10000vs1.

14. Gforce

Gforce New Member

yep, Just like the Imperial Guard saying "When in doubt, throw more men at it."

15. ekulio

ekulio New Member

Yeah but you know what I mean.

16. Gforce

Gforce New Member

Change the roaches look and its golden.

17. L89

L89 New Member

Let me ask something first:
    Who doesn't focus fire when using ranged units anyway? I know I do...especially with marines, since they have relatively low hp and thus must take out as many units as possible while they are still alive. I do this against pretty much any unit when using marines - it guarantees that the enemy will be able to dish out a smaller attack value per second.

So logically speaking, I think that the high-regen aspect of the roach - while a very interesting mechanic - is not overbalance, except perhaps when your only base is already half destroyed...in which case you deserved to be roached. Plus you would have gg'd anyways in SC1 :D.

18. Overling

Overling New Member

Yeah, the roach is fine, it is the Zerg way of countering melee units or slow firing units. They might even do well against Siege-tanks if the Siege doesn't kill them in the first hit. Splash damage surely won't matter to them, and they are said to be pretty fast moving. What I wonder is does anyone know since when can the Zerg burrow? If it was available at the start then it would be a great asset, specially for roaches.

19. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    No you still have to research burrow like in SC1. Remember that ALL Zerg ground units can burrow this time.

20. i2new@aol.com

i2new@aol.com New Member

personaly looking at the current zerg build i would never throw a roach at protoss. the zealot alone is scary and i'm sure a zealot that can tear down hydras and zerglings, wont have a problem with a roach. sad part thats just the zealot. DTs would no dout 2 shot this unit just like a hydra.

terrans on the other hand have a minor problem. there all ranged and i dont know if u noticed but roach + dark swarm = anal penatration. the terrans dont have a unit to counter this currectly. and is the roach melee or ranged cause i seen a pic of it shooting air but read from battle.net that was an error. i'm confused on the roaches attacking method and would like some clearty on this.

besides that protoss are overall the best at stomping a roach imo. Unless the roach regenerates faster then i hope it dose (and blizzard would not be THAT dumb)

on a final note, why are all u guys hating on the colossus new attack. they made it splash ot pick up for the unit it replaced (reaver) and i just wanna add the old attack for the colossus was not effective, reason being. If the old colossus got stuck on a heavy armored unit it would have to wait while till its dont to hit a new target. the units are good but some times hit the wrong target. Lets say the old colossus targets a ultralisk first when theres a million zerglings that should be hit first, it failed its job and waisted your money. but enough about the colossus.

the zerg roach is an amazing unit and personaly i agree with the name. Kerrigan was a human and any good human knows getting rid of roachers is a pain in the ass and i bet the zerg couldnt get rid of roaches either so if u cant beatem join'em. :)