1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Zerg Roach

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by ShoGun, Mar 11, 2008.

The Zerg Roach

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by ShoGun, Mar 11, 2008.

1. darkone

darkone Moderator

Mississippi
    There would be less reason to expand then, if you didn't have to upgrade. Also someone expanding wouldn't have the advantage of having more powerful troops.

2. Nickalisk

Nickalisk New Member

Roach sounds kinda weird, like it doesn't really fit within the other more fierce zerg swarms.

3. i2new@aol.com

i2new@aol.com New Member

Roaches vs stalkers: ( on paper) should be a win for the stalker. You guys should check armor types cause roaches are consisdered heavy and stalkers do +8 dmg to heavy armored units also the roach only has a range of 4 while the stalker is a range of 6.

Zerglings vs Stalkers: this is a zergling win. Unless the blink puts your men somewhere where they cant be hit or takes longer for the zerglings to reach them theres little hope for a win agenst zerglings and there countless numbers. And blinking and shooting wont save you either cause you have to stop to shoot and if you stop the zergling will be right on you.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2008
  4. Darktemplar_L

Darktemplar_L New Member

Bay Area
    Roach Invasion

I don't know if this is a duplicate topic but, let's say we massed about fifty Zerg Roaches. The regeneration rate of the Roaches would be too high, even if it was concentrated fire the player could just micro the Roaches and move them to the back of the pack. In about six seconds you could bring them back. Overpowered?

Anyways, what other strategies can you come up with for Roaches?

5. lurkers_lurk

lurkers_lurk New Member

Red Bluff, CA
    i can counter the roaches with tanks and kill them, one tank shot kills one roach( do to me being corrected on the armor of the roaches)

but i think roaches will donamate(sp) the early game for sure, the marine needs to be stim just to give out the same damage as the roach regenerates, but there will be more marines than roaches, so i dont know, but they will be a cure for zealots.

6. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Mass Roach alone?
    Counter with Immortals and hardened shields, Zerglings, lots of Marines and Medivac, Well placed siege tanks, Psi Storm, Dark Templars, more Roaches lol, Lurkers, and Banshee.

7. Darktemplar_L

Darktemplar_L New Member

Bay Area
    Didn't the latest Q&A Batch say that Roaches regenerate to full health in about six seconds? That's way faster than Psi Storm. The Immortals' hardened shields won't activate with the low damage. Siege Tanks maybe.

8. lurkers_lurk

lurkers_lurk New Member

Red Bluff, CA
    I found this, right from Karune.

The Roach at 90 hit points and 15 hp/sec regeneration excels at small number skirmishes, but at large encounters, they are not extremely hard to fight.

1vs1 a Roach will beat a Stalker. 5vs5 a Stalker group which focus fires and a little micromanagement can beat the Roaches with little to no losses.

Roaches are the best at countering units that attack a bit slower and do not do huge amounts of damage with a single attack, such as the Zealot.

source: http://www.battle.net/forums/thread.aspx?fn=sc2-general&t=1059767&s=blizzard&tmp=1#blizzard

9. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    First off, this is a duplicate topic. There's already a thread about the Roach and this should be raised there. Secondly, not only will focused fire be able to take them out before they can react, not to mention that they'd have to find their way back through a pack of Roaches, but even if there are some Roaches that are fleeing, there are countless ways to catch them before they escape. Zealots can Charge, Stalkers can Blink, Colossi can walk over everything, Marauders can slow their retreat, Marines can use Stim Packs, Vikings can fly over the top, Reapers can bypass terrain, etc.

The Roaches aren't likely to deal enough to activate the Hardened Shields, and if they do, it won't be reduced by much. It will be harder to counter with Zerglings as they wouldn't be able to swarm around each Roach, they'd be blocked by a wall of Roaches forcing them to disperse their fire, unless pathing has changed drastically or something. I doubt Psionic Storm would be nerfed so much that it's useless against Roaches. I think the best bet would be any Air-to-Ground units, purely because the Roaches cannot fight back, Dark Templar because Zerg do not have a distinguished on-site Detector, they do have Overseers but that's not much when compared to Scanner Sweep and Observers. Colossi will also be good counters, massed Stalkers, Banshees as well, but the best counter will be Siege Tanks, bar none.

10. freedom23

freedom23 New Member

banshee bombardment... "never know what hit'em"

11. Darktemplar_L

Darktemplar_L New Member

Bay Area
    ItzaHexGor, that's why I said I don't know if this is a duplicate topic...

Anyways, Lurkers, I guess you are right since the stalkers can beat 'em.

12. lurkers_lurk

lurkers_lurk New Member

Red Bluff, CA
    oh and i did found something else that Karune said:

"If you had a single Roach vs another Roach, the game would not end :) If you have groups of them, focus firing them will still do the trick."

source: http://www.sc2armory.com/

13. freedom23

freedom23 New Member

how bout just calling the nearest pest control unit??? lolz, i still think the terran nomad doesnt compete with the vessel regarding its versatility coz d nomads current skills a bit more defensively oriented unlike the vessels multi-race purpose skill set... if the vessels where back wouldnt the irradiate be suitful to counter mass of them.. (roachbuster!!)

14. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    First off, the Nomads abilities are both offensive and defensive. Auto-Turrets can be placed both on the offence and defence because it's built instantly so your opponent cannot take advantage of it when it's being built. Mine Drones are generally more defensive but can still be placed aggressively rather than defensively, much like Spider Mines in StarCraft1. Both Nano-Repair and Defensive Matrix can also be cast on the offence to practically nullify the defence's damage. Anyway, apart from all that, Terran still have methods of countering Roaches. They don't need Irradiate as they've got the best counter out of all the teams so far, being the Siege Tank. Besides, I wouldn't classify Irradiate as a 'roachbuster' type spell. Not only are regular roaches able to survive relatively high levels of radiation, and yes I'm aware that they aren't actually cockroaches and in-game I'm sure that they'd still be affected by it but it goes completely against the name lore-wise, but also Irradiate only dealt about ten or so damage per second. Sure, it would help to nullify the regeneration of the Roaches in that area but why worry about that when you can instantly fry them with Siege Tanks?

15. freedom23

freedom23 New Member

well one cant easily make nomads as fast as roaches anyway coz their in a different tier so ill give you that... ^_^

back on discussing roaches what would u want to call a hero unit for this type?? (mines PaPa) lolz

16. CannonFodder

CannonFodder New Member

Somewhere near you
    big roach...jk
    I have no idea, why do you want to know as there are no heroes in SC2?

17. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    There were hero units in SC1. Even Zerg heroes. It's just that only Kerrigan, Overmind and Cerebrates had special models. Raynor was a teal Marine (but also a Vulture and BC) for instance. :p

18. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Was there a Kukulza Devourer? and was there a Scourge hero?

19. Kimera757

Kimera757 New Member

None of the BW-only units have heroes. (Except Dark Templar, depending on your point of view.)

A Scourge hero would be pretty pointless, I think.

20. freedom23

freedom23 New Member

hahaha i wouldnt think it'd be pointless for a suicidal hero coz to some.. 911 terrorist were heroes =(

im not making anysense no more.. but anyway a papa roach is a cooler name