1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Ultralisk

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by iwasfrozen2, Apr 25, 2010.

The Ultralisk

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by iwasfrozen2, Apr 25, 2010.

1. Hodl pu

Hodl pu New Member

o_O
    Ultralisks have been in the game since Starcraft 1, and they look completely the same to me, just 3D.
    I guess its because youre new to SC, but there is no way the Ultralisk is getting a model change. Majority of people love the new model because it feels like an awesome upgrade from the original 2D model.

Gameplay wise, they are far superior than before. I really can't find anything worth changing really ATM.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2010
  2. asdf

asdf New Member

well then, i see the problem. your defintion of "insect" manages to include fleshy endoskeletal animals, with snake tails and bat wings. this seems to be an education problem.

My main problem with this post is that you claim to have the "feel" of the zerg before you've played the game... or even read the lore, from what i can tell. i haven't heard ANYONE who's played SC1 before think that the ultralisk doesn't fit or is ugly- in fact, it's just the opposite.

3. Glaurung

Glaurung New Member

Your base.
    The Ultralisk is my all time favorite unit I produce from my swarms. It's an original unit that needs if anything an ability to it. I hardly ever see it used in play. Every race has it's own tank like unit. The Protoss have the Colossus, The Terran have the Thor, and the Zerg have the Ultralisk. There is no way Blizzard is going to take this unit out of SC2. In terms of how it looks though, It looks the same from SC1 just in 3D and more realistic. Zerg are the ultimate race of Evolution.

4. iwasfrozen2

iwasfrozen2 New Member

I'm doing Higher Level Biology for my Leaving Cert so I am well aware of what Insects are.

First off I used to play SC 1, I just wasn't very good and didn't get into it.

Secondly the Ultralisk is a horrid model, and the only reason you can come up with to keep it as it is is because "it was like that in SC 1 !!".

5. Bthammer45

Bthammer45 New Member

Here is how you fix the ultra.

Make it really fast (no upgrade required) and take away its armored base making just bio/massive.

Something else I had in mind

Glanceing armor- when upgraded halfs all damage the ultra takes (this replaces the other armor bonus)

This would obviously require the ultra to have a bit less health but would allow it to survive better.

Also let other smaller units like zerglings be able to run under the ultra.

As for hive tech i really think it should be reworded and possibly have hive removed (its a useless building it doesn't do anything)

6. Glaurung

Glaurung New Member

Your base.
    I Approve.

7. SomePerson2314

SomePerson2314 New Member

Well if you have a problem with them just dont use them if you play the zerg, that simlple.. this thread isn't going anywhere but pissing people off, and im sure ur getting pretty pissy reading the comments about ur thoughts

i dont see a problem with the utras, i like them, just need to be buffed abit, and if your not into sc, why are u on the forums qqing and reading about it??

8. marinefreak

marinefreak New Member

Australia
    This the the description of all zerg units
    At least that what wikipedia says...don't think they've looked at any of the zerg units tbh

Ultralisks do need to be fixed (blizzard has stated they are working on it)...in base raids they are particularly bad since they are too big for the gaps between buildings which kinda makes the damage to buildings bonus a bit pointless unless your just raiding expansions...and who raids expansions with ultralisks...

Last edited: May 1, 2010
  9. Cabbage

Cabbage New Member

Well I hope it's going to be given a special attack, not those armor bonuses or anything. I mentioned before that giving it a "charge ability" before, but was kinda rejected by the majority. :(

Either that, or it was because I misspelled the ultralisk cavern...

http://www.starcraft2forum.org/forums/showthread.php?t=12838

You guys could go revive the thread tho...

10. Arc

Arc New Member

ultralisk is terribly, and sadly underused, because maybe it has lots of counters which then makes you cry for the wasted resources, plus the fact that most SC2 maps have choke points at base entrances and they block everyone, and the fact that they're sluggish makes things worse

yes they should be able to walk past smaller units because they are massive, incredibly massive if i may say

burrow is good, but IMO it did not, in any way, increase the ultralisk's game value, maybe they could also move while burrowed like roaches, it totally makes sense, coz they have mammoth-like kaiser blades which could easily brush off the soil

buff the damage for god's sake, those are freakin' kaiser(emperor) blades, and it only does 25+ damage with aoe? wtf? collosi do 40 aoe damage with their thermal lance and they're freakin ranged, make ultralisk's kaiser blades do at least 40-50 damage

armor upgrade should make ultralisks take 75% damage instead of giving it +2 armor, or if they're insisting on having it that way, then at least make it +4

Otherwise, they could just make it breathe fire -_- (which is a good idea by the way, instead of having it block everyone)

I love ultralisks, but broodlords are simply better in army clashes

Last edited: May 16, 2010
  11. Ragels

Ragels New Member

Portland, Or.
    The problem with Ultras is that they end up causing more harm then good.

They just end up blocking any units you have, are impossible to flood into the enemy base due to chokes, and really just die too fast with all the units that do bonus damage to armored units.

I don't know how to fix them without them being OP. Hopefully Blizzard figures it out. As they are, Ultras are only good at expansion raiding, which is already pretty easy to do...

12. Arc

Arc New Member

make it just breathe fire like in starship troopers damn it -_- really, they (blizz) say that there might be changes that they're gonna do that would just be some sort of an experiment, so why don't they just experiment with the ultralisks like what they are doing now with the roaches and the zerg per se

13. asdf

asdf New Member

well, the roach was the main reason ultras weren't being used. the ultra is supposed to be a giant damage sponge, but the roaches were doing it even better than the ultra, for the same cost and lower tier tech.

making them 2 supply automatically made the ultra one of the biggest damage sponges in the game, in HP/supply, at least.

14. Ragels

Ragels New Member

Portland, Or.
    Roaches are still better for cost, don't just impede your other units, and can stack upgrades with Hydras which are really high DPS. That and their low cost allows you to use a bunch of other units.

Ultra may be the best damage sponge if you just want to look for HP/Supply, but they fail at it in every other way.

15. Arc

Arc New Member

+ they're so big, they ruin everything in almost any map

16. Spardas

Spardas Guest

they did say that the next patch would come with some changes on the ultra....

17. asdf

asdf New Member

and marines should have a special ability to jump on its back, shoot a hole through its armor and throw a grenade inside.

18. Spardas

Spardas Guest

that too:laugh:

19. Arc

Arc New Member

Epic win!

20. Arterial

Arterial New Member

which lucky marine actually gets to carry a grenade? lol
    theyre all dirty convicts set loose to die