the Thor, a hypocritical goliath

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Ronin, Feb 24, 2009.

the Thor, a hypocritical goliath

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Ronin, Feb 24, 2009.

1. wodan46

wodan46 New Member

Let me try again:

Goliath is good against Light Air and Heavy Air, bad against Light Ground and Heavy Ground. It has bad HP for its cost.

Scout is good against Light Air and Heavy Air, bad against Light Ground and Heavy Ground. It has bad HP for its cost.

Thor is good against Light Air and Heavy ground, average against Heavy Air and Light Ground. It has good HP for its cost.

Carrier is good against Light Air and Heavy ground, average against Heavy Air and Light Ground. It has good HP/Range for its cost.

Now I ask you, do you think that a Carrier is just a big Scout? Because to me, saying that a Carrier is a big Scout is equivalent to saying that a Thor is a big Goliath.

2. Arvendragon

Arvendragon Member

Canada
    lol

Thor is smaller than the Terra-Tron, which makes it NOT the largest unit.

But the Thor is not a larger Goliath. The Goliath was meant for recon, patrol and guard duties, not for tanking and as a main combat vehicle. The Tank serves that purpose, and so does the Thor.

3. necromas

necromas New Member

Minneapolis, MN
    I think whether or not the Thor should be able to be transported by a dropship should hinge on whether or not it will end up being built at a factory or by SCVs, to balance out the advantages and disadvantages.

If built by SCV...
    + Builds faster (I'd say have it pretty slow with 1 SCV but faster with more SCVs working on it)
    + Deploy on the spot
    + Even 4 SCVs only take up half a dropship
    - Does not occupy your factories time
    - Vulnerable to attacks while building
    - The SCVs themselves are vulnerable
    - Occupies the SCVs time
    - Cannot be transported by dropship

If built by factory...
    + No need for SCVs
    + Relatively safe while building
    + Can be transported by a dropship (1 dropship should carry 1 thor, hopefully with a special carrying animation)
    - Can only build at bases
    - Production is limited by # of factories and whether they are building other units

4. Novacute

Novacute New Member

No.. it's not

Not necessarily........... you see the Viking was designed to be a goliath's replacement... so essentially that is your Goliath. The Thor however, was designed to be an Assault unit. It is equipped with 30 damage rail guns that do bonus damage to Armored Units. Goliaths however, were equipped with weak assault cannons which can't even compare to a marine on stimpack. Next, the Thor is designed to counter against weak swarms of enemy units, hence the AOE missle attack. Goliath in starcraft 1 was designed to be an exclusive Anti-Large air unit counter hence the explosive damage. Let's not forget about the differences in HP too, the Thor is better armored apparently, with over 400 HP, it can also perform 'Mechanical Rebirth' allowing the machine to repair itself. The goliath has a meager 125 Hp. Finally, Goliath's mobility wasn't really an issue in starcraft 1. It was a reasonably fast uni that is capable of chasing down quite a number of air units. It was one of the best Ground VS Air units in the game. THor however, while being capable of destroying swarms of weaker units and Armored ground units will have to take it's poor mobility into account. So really... the Thor is nowhere near a Goliath. They are both very different units, both serving instrumental roles against different types of units.

5. ekulio

ekulio New Member

Ok that is not true at all, especially now that the anti-air is disabled in assault mode. Really the viking is just a wraith that has to land to attack ground. The thor may be very different from the goliath but it still fills the same role.

6. bragesjo

bragesjo New Member

Sweden
    Now that it has been confirmed that Medivacs can transport Thors, do you think Medivacs can transport Vikings that are in ground mode?

7. lurkers_lurk

lurkers_lurk New Member

Red Bluff, CA
    I dont really see a need to do so, but I guess that is possible.

8. Gardian_Defender

Gardian_Defender New Member

Oregon_USA
    well you could do that but aren't they first built in the starport in their air mode?
    Therefore there wouldn't be any reason to transport them unless they were in ground mode witch would be stupid to load into a medivac. But it can probly still be done.

Last edited: May 27, 2009
  9. lurkers_lurk

lurkers_lurk New Member

Red Bluff, CA
    yes Vikings are built from the Starport, which only builds the Viking in flight mode, you can change the Viking into ground mode, and back again, after it has been built.

this is why I dont really see a need to put Vikings into the Dropships.

10. bragesjo

bragesjo New Member

Sweden
    Think of intersting tactics to hide that you have vikings. Think abotu tricking the ai that no vikings is found so they go mass carriers. O you unload som medivacs that has other ground troops, the enemy is sloopy and sends some Carriers to attack you and then you unload Vikings and put them in air mode.

Or if you want harras a base, you unload vikings using Medivacs ( it might actually go faster to unload them from dropships than to convert flying viking to grpund viking) to inusult your opponent.

11. needler

needler New Member

We need to get some new video of the Thor. Im really not sure do I like it. I was about to post that the thor is just a silly walking box but now I got a feeling that it maybe isn't that bad. I can't say because it has changed a bit.