1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Terran Good, Bad & Ugly...

Discussion in 'Terran' started by NateSMZ, Nov 9, 2007.

The Terran Good, Bad & Ugly...

Discussion in 'Terran' started by NateSMZ, Nov 9, 2007.

1. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

i think that reapers are fine the way they are right now.

The idea of drop pods coming down in a prison is cool, but you need balance, more specifically to have them being available at certain times.

Merc Haven for reapers is because they arent exactly regular troops, they are exceptional prisoners put into a specific training programming, and the Merc Haven looks like a strip club to keep em there lol ;P

2. NateSMZ

NateSMZ New Member

hmm, good point Itza - it would be weird to just completely change the unit description... lemme get a lil more feedback on the mercenary vs. horrible criminal concepts and I'll alter the post accordingly

if ppl like the horrible criminal concept better, basically all that the game needs is to change the building design they come from... the unit wouldn't really need any tweaks itself

3. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    I personally prefer the hardened criminal background over the mercenary background. I feel that the Terran would have access to a lot more criminals than they would mercenaries.
    @ DKutrovsky. It wouldn't require any balancing, it would just be part of the Prison production animation. Instead of just building it straight up, like they do for Command Center, Barracks, etc, the SCV would build the Prison, then have the Reapers dropped into it. It wouldn't effect how the Reapers are purchased or anything, it would just be the animation of a Drop-Pod bringing in the Reapers. I guess the only part of my idea is that you could only have a certain amount of Reapers for each Prison. For example, one Prison would allow you to make 10 Reapers, and if you want to build more you make another one, which would increase the maximum number to 20, etc, etc.

EDIT: Fixed a typo. Careful when you're spelling the word "Reapers"!

4. NateSMZ

NateSMZ New Member

ouch - not much faith in humanity, ehh? =P (plenty of criminals around)

of course, even Raynor is a mercenary now... so there might be a good number of merc outfits operating since the central human government has gone thru so much turmoil, and the sector is still quite unsettled...

EDIT: and updated the original posts with a host of pictures =]

5. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

I mean that currently, the Merc Haven can have 4 reapers max for instant purchase.

After you buy those 4 reapers, 1 reaper will be available for purchase every 22 seconds, i guess you can have drop pods coming down every 22 seconds to drop off the criminals.

6. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    The Drop Pods wouldn't come down every 22 seconds. They would only be a part of the building animation, implying that the Reapers have to be transported with extreme care, because they are so aggressive. There would only ever be one Drop Pod that comes down per Prison built, and it would be part of the building animation. It wouldn't happen every time you can purchase a new Reaper. It would only be a part of the animation.

7. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

I dont see why they cant do it every 22 seconds?
    It would just be very cool :)

8. techlology

techlology New Member

I like the reaper prison idea, it would be very cool if you can see inside it, like when a drop pod comes down, you can get to see would be reapers disembarking.

9. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    It would be too much of a ripoff of Dawn of War, where every time you purchase a squad, a Drop Pod comes down to deliver them to the building that they're produced in. Besides, if Drop Pods come down every 22 seconds, then it make the idea of having to build more Prisons if you want more Reapers. It wouldn't really make sense to have 30 of the most hardened criminals ever on the map, but only enough space to detain four of them.

10. NateSMZ

NateSMZ New Member

Agreed... if we go with the hardened criminal model, there should be a max recruitment per building.

So initially you might be able to recruit say 6 reapers (all at once or in whatever amounts you wished), but if you wanted more reapers you'd either have to build another building or upgrade the current building. If you upgraded the 'Military Brig' to a 'Maximum Security Prison', you could then recruit another 12 reapers (either all at once, or in any increments you wished), and a final upgrade to an 'Isolation Tanks Installation' would allow you to recruit another 24 reapers, again either all at once or at whatever rate was wished.

The building could not be salvaged unless all Reapers were dead. Reapers could not be replaced unless all current reapers were dead, in which case you'd see another Drop Pod descend to the building with fresh bodies.

thoughts?

11. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

So its basically builiding a drop pod for reapers?

Its not a bad idea, why not just have a building do that t hough?

You order the drop pod with prisoners, and when it arrives you can purchase them.

Building new buildings all the same is just too much of a hastle.

And about having 30 reapers and a prison that can hold only 4, i mean cmon now, you can just imagine it, you need to balance things out.

12. NateSMZ

NateSMZ New Member

it is a building - the drop pod is just an animation showing where the prisoners come from - shipped in from space, not your own colonists or whatever

and you need someplace to hold these super dangerous men, the drop pod is temporary transit, not permanent holding area...

and if you upgraded the building, then it would be capable of holding more reapers... you couldn't have more reapers than your equivalent number of prisons - 6 originally perhaps, then you visually upgrade the building to have more cells and you can hold a total of 18, visually upgraded again and you can hold 42 total.... if you don't have the prison buildings to hold them in, then you can't have the reapers

13. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

I dont have a great feeling about it.

Why not just have a prison building with drop pods bringing in new prisoners?

14. NateSMZ

NateSMZ New Member

lol... that's what I said ???

15. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    I like the idea of upgrading to a Maximum Security Prison, and the idea of them not being Salvageable until all Reapers are dead. I don't like the idea of making the Reapers not able to be replaced until they're all dead. It would effect game-play too much instead of just giving the idea that Reapers are untrustworthy criminals that have to be confined at all times during transportation.
    @ DKutrovsky. Dude, please just try to understand that this is only the Prison's building animation, to support the idea that Reapers are the worst of the worst of the criminals. Having units being Drop-Podded in every time you build them would be a direct copy of Dawn of War. The buildings will be upgraded so that you can hold about 20-40 Reapers in total, not 4. The Prison is just a normal building that receives a single Drop-Pod, to initially deliver the Reapers to your base.

16. NateSMZ

NateSMZ New Member

yeah, I didn't really like the idea of not being able to recruit new reapers until all are dead but maybe you can help flesh the concept out cause basically I was thinking - I liked the idea of criminals are dropped off and then you can recruit from the available pool

but if some of the recruited died, then where would you get new recruits from until another shipment of criminals came in? so I was thinking it would make most sense to have a new shipment come in once the old pool was all dead.... but actually, while typing this I decided it would be smoothest to just have another shipment come in the instant you exhaust the recruit pool... or maybe after a short delay.... then you could just have the new pool not be recruitable until the number of active reapers < the prison slots, should be easy to code...

I'm kinda feeling that concept now... I think I'll edit the posts accordingly

17. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    I think I get what you mean, but my idea was initially just to enforce that they are actually the worst of all criminals, the only real change I made to game-play was that you need more Prisons if you want more Reapers, bout you're right in that that wouldn't be a completed concept. It would be fine to have new Drop-Pods come down when some of your Reapers have died, but it shouldn't end up being like Dawn of War. They should come down in bulk, but you should always be able to recruit an additional one if one of your current Reapers died. If someone finds a way to do something like that, then they definitely deserve a powerup! It's just that otherwise you would just have Drop-Pods carrying one Reaper each, flying down to your Prison every time a Reaper died.

18. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

I like the reaper idea of building them in high tech prison facility etc. the merc haven bar idea is a JOKE.

and i like your tarantula unit. the name itself sounds really impresive.

and BRING BACK THE preadator or a new replacement for the predator.

19. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    There is obviously going to be a replacement for the Predator, Blizzard just hasn't announced it yet. The Merc Haven idea isn't stupid. Reapers are obviously a tough crowd, just like mercenaries are, so it is obvious that they would require something that would draw them to the battlefield for when they aren't fighting. The only reason I suggested the Prison was to further enforce the lore of them being criminals.

20. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

the viking is the predator replacement and the firebat the viking replacement