1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Overlord; Would anyone change it?

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by MrFrancko, Jun 24, 2007.

The Overlord; Would anyone change it?

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by MrFrancko, Jun 24, 2007.

1. burkid

burkid New Member

well protoss have phase prisms and warp in, so i dont see why not.

2. paragon

paragon Guest

why not have overlords as transports or why not have just the nydus worms as transports?

3. burkid

burkid New Member

why not have both overlords and nydus worms

4. paragon

paragon Guest

because they both serve the same function as transport which would lead to one not being used (possibly the worm because you have overlords anyways. unless the worm is just so incredibly awesome at transporting which i assume it would be. CAUSE IT DIGS THE TUNNELS

5. WaterGolem

WaterGolem New Member

Does the nydus worm attack units on the ground at its point of exit, like swallow them up or whatever? Or is it just for creating tunnels? Cause if it could eliminate a small portion of an army, then units come piling out, there's a strategic advantage for the worm over the overlord. But then there might be some terrain that the worm can't get through, so only the overlord can fly over to transport units. They'll probably have both I reckon

6. burkid

burkid New Member

it might cost resources to build a worm, and once its built its there till it dies, whereas overlords would be reuseable.

7. paragon

paragon Guest

I think the nydus worm will be more versatile then some one use thing.

8. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    I think the overlord and nydus worms will both be transports.

I believe the nydus worm will be mainly used for cloaked movement, if it even turns out be a transport at all. While you'll still use overlords for its superior movement(over impassible terrain like water or mineral patches) and cheap cost, also for island maps.

9. paragon

paragon Guest

The nydus worms were appearing right next to a cliff edge that was looking out over space. Unless it was just something for the demo, I doubt nydus worm movement would be restricted that much if any. And I doubt it would be that effective at making a beachhead if you first had to land it on the beach somewhere and move it underground to where you wanted it. If that were the case, they would not be used and overlords would be used instead.

10. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    In the part right after the nydus worms first appeared, where you see a mass of zerglings unburrow, you see that there is yet more terrain extending southward. So it's hard to speculate that nydus worms(clearly ground units if not building) can move past impassible terrain just from being near a cliff edge on one side.

I didn't understand the part about landing them. But that's what I was saying, you would just use ovies over nydus worms in island maps. Traditionally, there has never been a ground based cloaked assault strat against island bases not invloving air transports anyway.

At this point, I'm inclined to think that nydus worms won't even be able to move to high ground without using "ramps" due to balance reasons. It's either that or nydus worms move HELLA slow.

11. paragon

paragon Guest

If that's the case I couldn't see nydus worms as being that useful.

12. burkid

burkid New Member

they would be in certain situations. such as cutting off retreating foes.

13. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    Zerg has never had the capability to move any unit under cloak effect, if my speculations are correct, nydus worms are it.

Just the idea of a cloaked unit transport already sound pretty sweet to me.

14. paragon

paragon Guest

sure but i don't really want my cloaked unit-transports to have some super restricted movement.
    When I put something in a transport it's because I want it there fast. If an overlord gets it there faster then overlord it is.

15. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    Not if you find a bunch of marines/goliaths/stalkers/phoenix/hydras on watch.

But anyway, what I've said is all based on the premise that my assumptions about the nydus worm are true. It could have vulture speed and traverse all terrain for all we know. Or heck, not even a transport at all.

16. paragon

paragon Guest

But zerglings come out of it... they had to come from somewhere. And they dug the nydus tunnels.

17. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    I personally believe that nydus worms are unit transports. But there is still the slim possibility that they are just all terrain nydus canals, highly unlikely though.

But anyway, my point was that I believe both nydus worms and ovies will be unit transports and that it won't be redundant.

18. paragon

paragon Guest

if they are nydus has to do something pretty special to make me choose them over overlords.

19. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    Sending an unlimited number of ground units anywhere instantly without transport time is pretty special for me.

20. shanodin

shanodin New Member

The Overlord is very exposed to enemy air attacks, and without the reasearch a quite slow moving unit. What improvement I would like to see is to increase Overlord's HP by a small amount, or adding one more useful ability. Maybe make them able to carry buildings with their long tentacles in addition to unit transportation (trough research ofcourse). Don't know if this would make the zerg too Terranish :p They would also have the ability to produce creep.

In my opinion what makes the Nydus worm superior compared to Overlord (as a transport), is the element of surprise.

+ They are cute. :)