1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Nydus Worms - Theories, Conjecture, Guesswork

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Shockfrost, Jun 3, 2007.

The Nydus Worms - Theories, Conjecture, Guesswork

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Shockfrost, Jun 3, 2007.

1. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    Ok, i did not get that then. The only thing i got was that the worms were Zergs compensation for cliff-walkers.

2. epo

epo New Member

Heey Gusy! I don't know if this has been posted before in this topic, but here goes.

As stated by Thomas "T-Dawg" Wagner over at www.starcraft.org, here is a quote from the text regarding the Nydus Worms.

"THE NYDUS WORM. This bloated tremor of a creature has been the controversy since it was first leaked. Here is the rundown:

1. Build a Nydus Barrens (Which is also needed for a Hive).
    2. Build a Nydus Worm (which burrows ungrounded and is cloaked except to detectors).
    3. Load units into the Nydus Barrens.
    4. Unburrow in some location, transform to Nydus Canal and unload units from Nydus Barrens.

As you can tell – it is infinitely cooler than the Nydus Canal which relied on your opponent being Zerg and not paying attention. Now you can unburrow in anyone’s mineral patch and wreak havoc. How fun!"

Enjoy!

3. ced

ced New Member

Canada
    But how does it get off the island? (without getting voted off for being a bitch)

4. Spacechick

Spacechick New Member

as i said before,it goes UNDERGROUND!,under the river the lake the pond the bathtub the shower.If it cant do that so my has zerg a disadvantage in island map?

5. Meee

Meee New Member

Poland
    Jon said it can't cross rivers, so yes, they have serious disadvantage on island maps. At least they had in that build.

Lore-wise the ground under water may be too deep for it to dig through (hard rocks n' stuff)
    In-game: Notice that while there is indeed ground under water bodies in Real, in games usually land is placed on surface of water and there's no ground beneath it.

It's possible that they made this restriction so that worms don't unburrow and drop units on the surface of water (which would make for some fun time on conventions and meetings like Jon's in Irvine btw.) and later they will make worm able to move anywhere but it could only drop units in feasible places.
    That's unlikely tohugh, because it wouldn't work on space platforms that way

6. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    What if overlords could transport, but were unable to do it with worms? Wouldnt that balance it off?

7. Hunter

Hunter New Member

Hungary,Székesfehérvár
    Hm... I agree that the Nydus Worm is not enough. An an island map the Zerg couldn't expand! How would that look like... They would lose one of their advantages.. I think the overlord should have the transport ability, but when upgraded to overseer it would lose it. (if the overseer upgrade individual is) This way the Nydus worm could be good for ambushes, but the Overlord should also stay as a transporting unit between your bases.

8. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    I don't really understand why they don't make the worm work the same way as nydus canals to preserve (aerial) transportation for the Overlord or the Overseer. It could be balanced easily by not allowing it to surface in the fog of war, reducing its hitpoints, making it non-cloaked and if need be, delay the spawning of the units at the other end.

I don't see a future for treating it a unit because of the obvious barriers like its movement visuals.

ps it might have been posted before but does anyone know if the Overlords have to be mutated into Overseers individually like Battlecruisers or if it's a global evolution?

9. ced

ced New Member

Canada
    I liked the old "they work like drop-pods" idea.

• Fly an overlord over (Any flier will do.).
    • Spot and suitable area for unit deployment.
    • Select the Warren (or Worm?) and target the ground (Area can't be covered by Fog of War).
    • If they want to go for an all-out rip-off of Dune, they could even add a warning mechanic (Wormsign) so the opponent has a chance to prepare before it pops out.
    • Worm pops up (Possibly after a delay).

I liked this idea... since you have to have been there before with a visible unit. You can't just boot around the map underground (perma-cloaked) until you find the right spot to pop-up.

I don't really see the point in having it be a controllable unit if there are no units in it.. All the units are back home safe in the Warren; killing the worm doesn't destroy the units inside it like a regular dropship/shuttle.

I still love the Nydus Worm... my favorite addition to the Zerg by far. I just wish I knew how it worked. :p

10. Hunter

Hunter New Member

Hungary,Székesfehérvár
  11. burkid

burkid New Member

those 3 are: deploy creep, block resources, and upgrade to overseer.

12. ekulio

ekulio New Member

This may be a stretch, but perhaps when he said "except water" he meant it couldn't unburrow in water? I don't know.

Also I don't see why worms can't cross space if the queen can (with her underground teleport thing).

13. Overling

Overling New Member

Yep, but what about Abysses? How would a Worm cross an empty canyon??