1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Nydus Worms - Theories, Conjecture, Guesswork

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Shockfrost, Jun 3, 2007.

The Nydus Worms - Theories, Conjecture, Guesswork

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Shockfrost, Jun 3, 2007.

1. burkid

burkid New Member

pix, it might not make sense with water, but imagine on a space platform, i dont think that nydus worms can fly through open space.

2. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Mutalisks as well as all the other air units can, so I don't see why Nydus Wyrms wouldn't be able to.

3. burkid

burkid New Member

maybe because its a ground unit that moves by tunneling. you cant exactly tunnel with no ground to tunnel in.

and if it were to move in open space, it wouldn't be cloaked due to the lack of ground to hide it.

4. Meee

Meee New Member

Poland
    I assume platforms will have a thick layer of ground under them

5. burkid

burkid New Member

except for the parts where you can clearly see a planet in the backround...???

6. Meee

Meee New Member

Poland
    Well, that's a problem just like with the rivers, zerg will need something else to cross these

7. burkid

burkid New Member

i know, thats what i was saying...

8. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    Zerg need the overlords transport abbility back, but i can see the imbalance:
    1. Drop 4 worms with an overlord
    2. Send you whole army trought.

9. burkid

burkid New Member

i dont think worms would fit in an overlord.
    but i agree that they need an air trasport back, they have no way of transportation on island maps currently.

10. ekulio

ekulio New Member

Where does it say air transport was removed? I didn't see that in any of the Q&As. It all says the overlords still serve the same purpose.

And nydus canals could cross space gaps in the original. We're already defying the laws of physics so why not?

11. burkid

burkid New Member

in the current build, the overlord does not have the ability to transport units, only the nydus worm does.

12. Pix

Pix New Member

Yeah, what burkid said.
    Also, "And nydus canals could cross space gaps in the original. We're already defying the laws of physics so why not?".
    Nydus Canals were built at one location, then placed in another. That's not how Nydus Worms work. They burrow into the ground and have to move to the location they want to put out troops. They can't move across water. This provides a problem when you're trying to get across water with the Zerg - you need air transport. Even if you don't need to get across water, "cliff-jumping" will be ridiculously slow for the Zerg if you have to deploy and re-deploy your Nydus Worms for every level of terrain.
    ~Pix~

13. Meee

Meee New Member

Poland
    How is that different from how canal worked? The only difference is that canal was stationary structure and worm is moving unit (also worm is probably one-way only, but that's beside the point). Nydus canal isn't some sort of magical portal that teleports units from one spot to another (that would be protoss, now wouldn't it?), it's burried underground like the worm. Things like water and space platforms just weren't taken into account before, because it wasn't unit so no need to question how exactly are the points connected.

14. Pix

Pix New Member

You're missing the point... it's very different because the Nydus Canal could cross water - it didn't matter what was in between the two canal points so long as there was creep either side to place buildings. However, the Nydus Worm "cannot cross water". Therefore, this presets a problem in that terrain now restricts the use of the worm and forces the need for an air-based transport unit. See?
    ~Pix~

15. burkid

burkid New Member

@ meee, pix is completely right.
    with the nydus canal, the only thing that mattered is it brought your units from point a to point b. it didnt matter how.
    with the worm though, you have to manually move it to where you want it to come up, and since its a ground unit, it can only go through terrain that ground units can cross.

my question though is this:
    Is the nydus worm two-way like the nydus canal, or is it only one way?

16. Meee

Meee New Member

Poland
    Yeah sorry for that, I was thinking of it lore-wise, where I believe that both worm and cannal are underground tunnels and canal could originally cross water/platforms simply because it'd be inconvinient from gameplay point of view if it didn't.

I do agree that Zerg lacking means of crossing islands is serious issue, but I take it for granted that Blizzard will remedy it and there's nothing to worry about here yet. They just wanted to (finally) show how are zerg going to work in general in sc2.
    imo there's no way Blizzard could overlook something as vital as that

17. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    Perhaps they should make overlords transportable, but they cant transport worms?
    That would fit lorewise, because the worms should be bigger than an ultralisk shouldn't they? Or perhaps they cant take the vacuum in the overlords sacks?

18. Spacechick

Spacechick New Member

The nydus worm can cross the river.Why doest it go under the river?I doesnt need to swim across,just go underground

19. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    Link?
    It hasnt been mentioned that it can cross rivers + cliffs, and if it could, someone would scream OP right?

20. Meee

Meee New Member

Poland
    Actually Jon did mention something about worm crossing cliffs