1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Nydus Worms - Theories, Conjecture, Guesswork

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Shockfrost, Jun 3, 2007.

The Nydus Worms - Theories, Conjecture, Guesswork

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Shockfrost, Jun 3, 2007.

1. burkid

burkid New Member

haha, if you watch the nydus worm die in the gameplay vid, the worms carcass slides down the hole, then the hole just seals itself. i laughed when i saw it.

2. GuiMontag

GuiMontag New Member

its been reported by 'blue report' from blizzcon that "the Nydus worm can pop up anywhere.. it doesn’t have to be on creep. But it works like the ghost nuke, you place a beacon and a few seconds later it pops up"

3. Star-Crap

Star-Crap Guest

really? how does the whole becon thing work? Do u need a unit to launch it?

4. Eye_Carumba

Eye_Carumba New Member

I hope it works like a Nydus Canal that can be moved from spot to spot with a certain cooldown. It would be nice if we could use it as an entrance/escape route of the enemy base. Only the rear end (entrance) of the worm would be fixed in creep, while the rest can pop-up anywhere, leaving an altered terrain on the spot she used to be.

I think that by it's appearing animation alone, it's going to be a very fun zerg resource to use. Very anxious to use it. :)

5. Star-Crap

Star-Crap Guest

so escape from an enemy base would mean the worm would have to shit you out.

poor worm would have to poop out ultralisks. ouch

6. opm

opm New Member

NYC
    that's fantastic news. I can't wait to try it out. I hope that istead of saying nuclear launch detected, you just hear tremors coming from the ground. brilliant!

speaking of tremors, it was a good movie and the concepts should be used in SC2 imo

7. Eye_Carumba

Eye_Carumba New Member

If that really is what you said without any misinterpretation, it reminds me of that movie Dune, in which the "worms", which were giant eye-less creatures, would appear from the ground, to a beacon placed on the sand. Only the chosen one (like Kerrigan? lol) could control the "worms". I bet this is where they got the idea from.

I'm still thinking if it doesn't actually work like the drop-pod, and the worm actually "spawns" zerglings upon appearing. However, we would see a new type of zerg unit capable of placing a beacon unseen, as in the Nydus-worm's first appearance, we didn't see anything nearby to do so. Could it be a camouflaged zerg? lol

8. slugonice

slugonice New Member

I think NYDUS WORMS move when they are burrowed then when they resurface, they get stunned or something. look at the video, when the Protoss started attacking the worms, why didnt they just DIG again?

9. Protosscommander

Protosscommander New Member

I Think the nyndus worm has the ability to detect invisible units and it has also other ability i hope well that is my theories

10. c0nnick

c0nnick New Member

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum, this site seems really cool thanks...

Anyways, you guys are all funny and crazy, First, just cuz they didn't unburrow doesnt mean they cant, for example, in the video the stalkers could have easlily ran away and up the ramp, but they chose to let them die so they could bring out the collosi right? So maybe they can burrow again. Second, it probably is the same idea as the nydus canal, atleast thats what all the evidence points to, I bet you make a base, choose a spot to deploy, wait... and poof a worm. And third, I know that only zerglings banelings and mutas have been revealed so there are no other units to use, but MAYBE for balance issues the worm can only spit out zerglings, I mean its mouth is pretty tiny, and then the game would remain balanced due to the fact that you would have to wait for the worm to deploy, and could only run zerglings into enemy bases.

Maybe?

11. Nikzad

Nikzad New Member

Welcome to the Forums! Have a :powerup:\

I agree with what you said, except for the nydus worm + zerglings part. That would really defeat the purpose of nydus worms, as late game, you would just be sending scores of zerglings to the slaughter.

On a separate note, does anyone know who the spotter will be for the Nydus worm? I'm guessing it's gonna be overlords, unless Blizzard comes up with a spec-ops hydralisk

12. Dxun

Dxun New Member

Well I think the nydus worms will ONLY spit out zerglings, think of it like the droppod, you place the beacon and afew seconds later 6-8 (dont remember) marines jump out.

Nydus worms would only spit out lings but more of them say 16 or so if i recall.

But maybe blizzard will make the nydus worm more flexible and allow you to choose the units that pop out.

Say you "built" your nydus worm in a building, then you load your units into the building
    (imagine it like loading units into an overlord)
    and then when you place your beacon the worm burrows off and drops the units off, maybe it could even reload the units and return to the building.

That would be pretty interesting load it full of zerglings/hydras/lurkers and put a (caster with darkswarm here) into the worm and you got yourself a nice attack force anywhere on the map practically.

And there was that Zerg caster the sccumbi or something like that in one of those magazines articles,

its supposed to be an infested ghost or something right? so maybe it'll be our nyduns worm spotter.

13. Star-Crap

Star-Crap Guest

Just to make sure is this wut we all know about the Nydus Worm to date? Has anyone gotten any new info?

- nydus worms work more or less like the nydus canals in bw
    - you can pop them up anywhere on the explored part of the map
    - enemy can see a marker (more or less like the nuke one) where they're going to pop up

14. DontHate

DontHate New Member

dxun... that's a good idea, but it'd kinda suck if it were only zerglings. maybe they can pump out other units such as hydras, it just takes longer time i guess. also, the idea of the succubi launching them is neat. and, the marker should be the ground tumbling or something. that'd be cool.

15. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    Succubus was a rumor, a false on at that. There is no such unit.

16. Itsmyship

Itsmyship New Member

Where only cool people live... So Cal!
    Time to ressurect this from the ashes of forgetfulness!

Now that we know that the Nydus Worm will be the Zerg's form of cliff jumper, how early do you think it'll be able to be built at?

Since we now know that it needs a spotter, would it still be able to pop from under enemy units or such?

17. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    If the Ovie still has transportation not until mid-game. But it didn't say anywhere the Ovie still transports so if not, early-mid game.

18. ShdwyTemplar

ShdwyTemplar New Member

Tacoma, Washington
    I think they have done a great thing for Zerg with this. Instead of just cliff jumping we can infiltrate bases with cliffs now with ease. Bring our full force around an enemy defense. Definitly good for Zerg.

19. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    I don't see why they've said that the Nydus Wyrm is the Zerg form of cliff jumping. Each team has four modes of transport. Using a transport unit, cliff jumping, and with the aid of another unit, teleporting. There are also a few units that can use an ability to.
    Protoss have their Phase Prism to transport units, Colossi are their cliff 'jumpers', and with the aid of a Phase Prism they can Warp In. They also have the Stalker with Blink.
    Terran have Dropships to transport, they have Reapers as cliff jumpers and with the aid of a Ghost can Drop Pod units in. They also have the Viking with air and ground mode.
    The Zerg have Overlords to transport, no cliff jumpers, and with the aid of any unit offering vision they can spawn a Nydus Wyrm. We don't know about their abilities yet.
    The Nydus Wurm isn't the equivalent of the Zerg cliff jumper, it's the equivalent of Warp In or Drop Pods. They should get a cliff jumper as well.

20. Pix

Pix New Member

I'm a little worried that it's been said that a Nydus Worm can't travel beneath water parts of the map... and that the Overlord no longer has transport abilities. How will Zerg get troops around in island maps?
    ~Pix~