1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The New Lurker!

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Prodigal, Mar 10, 2008.

The New Lurker!

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Prodigal, Mar 10, 2008.

1. WuHT

WuHT New Member

Now there is no guarantee's that the lurker is a mutation of the hydralisk in starcraft 2.

I however, do agree i liked the simliarity between the zerg ground forces. To me, they all shared simliar head/crest shapes, but had wildy different body shapes to do different things. This would make sense since they all mutate from the same larvae.

Zerglings was the wolf-version
    Hydraliks : upright snake version
    Ultralisk : elephant version
    Lurker : Spider version
    --while the head/jaws/skull was generally the same IMO.

Right now the lurker is tough to distingush against the roach, but perhaps the movement "undulation of the arms" would make it easy to differentiate.
    -------

Anyone else think that the lurker's head unit (the part you see when it's buried) should be more centered in it's body ? Right now it looks like the hand in adam's family running around backwards.

2. gtx75

gtx75 New Member

the hydralisk is bare-able but the lurker, it doesn't resemble the hydralisk one bit, especially its head, its even different from its original design. The point of having a lurker evolved from the hydralisk is that it will still resemble the previous unit, not a completely different unit. Its like having a monkey giving birth and all of a sudden a human baby comes out...

if it looks that different, you'd rather have a completely different unit, or have it morph from larva instead.

3. Ayzee

Ayzee New Member

Sweden
    Mutalisk --> Guardian --> Devourer

Yeah.. you can totally spot the similarities =)

4. WuHT

WuHT New Member

yeah someone was going to try to critic me : ) hence i mean the GROUND assault units .. to those who'll bring up drones

5. Laz

Laz New Member

Ok first off i think the hydralisk looks fine. The only thing i would change on it is its attack. You can barely see the spikes going through the air which i understand but they should make the impact visible. About the lurker, i admit its a complete reck. I could easily imagine a 3D version of the lurker in SC1 so why did they turn it in to a caterpiller with a giant head? And the roach is like the lurkers head with out its body. That could be changed to. But all and all i think the zerg look great.

6. gtx75

gtx75 New Member

agreed... and yea, the lurker looks nothing like the hydralisk and there has almost never been a case where you haven't seen someone for a long time and they look nothing like they were when you last saw them, there has to be something similar. the head... was its marker, its now gone and i even consider it a whole separate unit with no ties to the hydralisk

7. Chax424

Chax424 New Member

A
    You don't have to include the whole quote ;)

Lots of the Zerg concept came right out of left field and took us all bu surprise. Not sure why...a new team clearly...but thats no excuse...

8. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    In StarCraft1 the Lurker didn't look like the Hydralisk. The Hydralisk was a mid-sized, big-crested, smooth-ish serpentine creature with scythe arms and the Lurker was a large, multi-limbed arachnid with vestigial arms and mandibles. They aren't similar units.
    [img width=127 height=56]http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee72/itzahexgor/hydralurker.jpg[/img]
    Just because it's an evolution, it doesn't mean they should look similar. Apart from the Hydralisk, there are the Zerglings mutating into Banelings, and Mutalisks that mutated into Guardians or Devourers. No mutations/evolutions looked similar, so why should it in StarCraft2?
    Again, if either unit is changed, it should be the Hydralisk. It doesn't sit well with the rest of Zerg at the moment, and isn't the classic Zerg icon that it used to be.

9. Ych

Ych New Member

The Lurker doesn't look like anything fearful for the ingame screenshots. They look like squids forgodsake. Especially when they are burrowed underground.

Overall, I don't really mind about the Lurkers look. I'm sure Blizzard will polish the units as time goes by as seeing by the changes of the Marine shields.

10. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    I don't really care much for the model, but like Ych pointed out, it'll most likely change. At first I didn't know it was a lurker until I saw them burrow and attack. :p I think the Hydra looks pretty good too. It looks closer to what they originally intended and more intimidating than before.

11. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    As most of you have probably heard before, I'm not a fan of what the StarCraft2 Hydralisk looks like. It's arms look too breakable, the eyes look like headlights, the crest and skin is too busy, the mandibles don't fit the face and its claws look too cumbersome.
    Am I the only one who sees this?

12. AcE_01

AcE_01 Active Member

Australia
    ^
    i rkn the hydra is alright,....though...i think they put TOO much detail to it.
    in sc1..it was hard to see the hydras face, cuz his scythes was hiding it...but now u can see it and you see his eyes and teeth and 2ns way at the outseide near the teeth and etc...

but i dno, i like the hydra...but i dont like the hydra..so i guess, what im saying is...i dont mind if they change the hydra or not.

13. Star-Crap

Star-Crap Guest

naw homes the hydra looks fearsome. if anything, add some of that green slime to the attack animation that it had is sc1.

The lurker looks too bulky. fix the lurker head blizzard

and wuts this visible when burrowed? that just takes the purpose away from them.
    (hope thats just a sick rumor)

14. Meee

Meee New Member

Poland
    they are visible to the player who controls them so you know exactly what is burrowed where
    sort of like the big sign marking nuke location

15. Star-Crap

Star-Crap Guest

yeh thats wut i thought. its just i keep hear the other rumor.

thnx for the clarity have a power up :powerup:

16. AcE_01

AcE_01 Active Member

Australia
    ^
    hey i havent seen u in ages...good to see you again starcrap =]

yeah i actually totally agree with you all. in sc1 the lurkers head was not visibal. but now in sc2 it is and it does look.......ghey...lol.
    i think they should put the nead lower. like a spider or something...

17. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    You could definitely see the Lurker's head in StarCraft1, it's just that the graphics were worse so it's harder to make out. I guess it could be made smaller, or they could just space out the legs more to give it more support at the front, so it won't look top heavy.
    Unless you meant while Burrowed, in which case the Hydralisk looks much, much worse.

18. AcE_01

AcE_01 Active Member

Australia
    ^
    oh no i mean the lurkers head in general..when its walking around.
    i think the hydras head is about too big too....so tahts y it looks so dopey when it burrows...lol

19. WuHT

WuHT New Member

actually if the "head" you are referring to could be just the carapace (like a crab shell...the head is actually only at the tip". The odd purple dots of the top are NOT the eyes..but does look like a dopey face.

Again i agree that the carapace structure is too anterior, which makes it seem like it's going to tip forward.

20. Laz

Laz New Member

Have they made a poll stating whether or not you like the hydralisks new look? Because if they havent then someone should make one. By the sounds of this topic it would be a popular pole.