1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The New Lurker!

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Prodigal, Mar 10, 2008.

The New Lurker!

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Prodigal, Mar 10, 2008.

1. AcE_01

AcE_01 Active Member

Australia
    ^ ah ic...

well i still think the enemy can see the lurks now. look how fast they burrowed to the ground.

i wanna see a proper shooting animation for the hydralisk

2. Prodigal

Prodigal New Member

Actually after inspecting other videos and pictures you can actually see the tops of unit heads of any burrowed Zerg unit. IMO, this probably means that they actually ARE fully underground in the actual game, its just a graphical touch that allows the player to see what unit is burrowed. In the original a burrowed Zergling looks just like a Hydralisk, or a Defiler or a drone!

3. afterburner

afterburner New Member

I don't know what all the negative responses regarding the Lurker are all about. I think its great! I will agree, however, that it does look a little too similar to the Roach. Aside from that, its amazing, the attack animation, the burrow, how they walk etc. is just great.

I also think that they WILL be unseen to the other player, without detection...it just doesn't make sense to have a visible burrowed unit. Therefore, I think that the fact that you can see its head while its burrowed is just for looks...just like the hydra on Blizzards site.

4. i2new@aol.com

i2new@aol.com New Member

First i just wanna say the new lurker looks ugly as heck. I liked when the lurker looked like the hydralisk. Also from what i hear around the net lurkers are attackable while underground.

5. Prodigal

Prodigal New Member

The Lurkers in SC BroodWar were attackable underground.

6. i2new@aol.com

i2new@aol.com New Member

In SC broodwar u need a detector to attack them. not in SC2 from what i keep reading from the other websites

7. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    No. They're still invisible when underground. Only the player who controls them can see them peeping out the hole.

8. i2new@aol.com

i2new@aol.com New Member

then why is every other website saying u can see them??

9. JudicatorPrime

JudicatorPrime New Member

Wow, it looks... weird. Maybe I'm not used to it's awesome SC2-ified version. As long as it still 'lurks' in the SC1 sense, then I'm fine. In the video posted a while ago though, it's attack seems pretty weak. As in, the spikes don't go very high, and at the menacing speed like they used too, but... whatever. Hopefully it will by release, or maybe I'm just seeing things.

Cool nonetheless.

10. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    The Lurker in StarCraft1 didn't actually look that much like the Hydralisk. The portrait might have, but the model itself looked completely different. The Hydralisk was a mid-sized, big-crested, smooth-ish serpentine creature with scythe arms and the Lurker was a large, multi-limbed arachnid with vestigial arms and mandibles.
    [img width=127 height=56]http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee72/itzahexgor/hydralurker.jpg[/img]
    I love the new Lurker, but I what they've done to the Hydralisk. If either of them has to be changed to look like each other, it'd have to be the Hydralisk.

11. DE.50

DE.50 New Member

Washington
    First off, I think that the new lurker has much too bulky of a head. It just looks way too top heavy to move around.
    Second, it is too smooth. The zerg are all about a tough, organic exterior (look at how the hydralisk is completely covered in spikes), and I feel that neither of these things are conveyed in the current model of the lurker.
    Third, I do think that the luker is still invisible while burrowed. I think in the zerg in motion video there is a part where the lurkers burrow and they can't be seen anymore. Whether or not they would be useless if they were visible while burrowed, I'm sure Blizz would make sure that they were, but personally I think that that would make them identical to siege tanks, and Blizz won't do that.
    Fourth,
    if there is going to be a change in modeling in the lurker or hydralisk it has to be the lurker. The hydralisk has been around a lot longer, is considered the icon of the zerg race, and the lurker evolves from the hydralisk making it illogical for the hydralisk to change its looks.

12. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    It does look a bit top heavy, but we haven't seen the underside of its head yet. There might actually be a sixth leg under there to support it.
    The Hydralisk's spikes look way to flimsy and cumbersome. The Lurker has thick sturdy thorns and I don't think it looks smooth at all. I feel that it looks tough and robust.
    At the moment, these are all concepts. It's not as though the Zerg have actually evolved into this yet, meaning that units at the bottom of the evolutionary sequence are still up for change. Also, the Hydralisk doesn't have to be changed beyond recognition, just so that it shares a bit of a resemblance with the Lurker. Also, the Hydralisk didn't actually look that much like a Lurker in StarCraft1, so why would it have to now? Also, Mutalisks never looked like Guardians or Devourors, Zerglings don't look like Banelings and Larvae don't look like anything. I'm not saying that either should be changed to look like the other, but some people have commented about that. I'm just saying that I'd prefer the Hydralisk to be changed than the Lurker.

13. DE.50

DE.50 New Member

Washington
    That's a good point about the mutalisks, guardians, ect,.
    I don't know about you, but I would much rather meet a lurker in a back alley than a hydralisk, those things look way scarier. I am going to stick with my original assessment: the lurker is to smooth looking, needs some sort of texture added to it.

14. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Hehe, you wouldn't know that you've met a Lurker until too late... :p
    I'm not saying that the Hydralisk would be less scary to meet in a dark alley, I'm saying that as a unit, it looks like it would work and doesn't 100% fit in, not like the old Hydralisk. The multiple scythes look as though they'd be cumbersome and get in the way of each other, the arms look way too thin and the eyes are like headlights, not to mention what they look like when burrowed.
    I definitely want the Hydralisk to stay in the game, but it needs to be visually tweaked first.

15. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    I agree the Hydralisk doesn't match up to expectations, but so far its ok. The Lurker model is obviously not finished, but they need to make it look like the Sc1 Lurker, big, spikey, dark and robust. Its attack sucks the most IMO, they looklike little shark fins coming from the ground. Its probably just a placeholder animation but the attack seems to lack the power and that ''OH SHIT LURKERS'' effect that they had in Sc1.

16. DE.50

DE.50 New Member

Washington
    I can't say that I am in love with the new hydralisk model, I think the face is kind of ugly/unfitting, and there are too many colors on it. Cumbersome scythes, yah, especially since they don't even use them to attack, but damn they look intimidating. I think both units need some tweaks, and I'm sure that there will be plenty before the game is released.

17. EonMaster

EonMaster Eeveelution Master

Black City, Unova
    That was mostly because of the sound effect of the spikes, that earth shattering sound. I like the animation shown in the vid, it look smoother than the old one and would have had the same effect if we could hear what its sound effect would be.

18. God of War

God of War New Member

I really love using the lurker in SC and love that they have the abillity to burrow its a must imo.
    I use this unit every singel time i play Zerg in the right hands they can be devastating :thumbup:, sad if they can been seen it would ruin the unit ...

Though more Hp and attack range wouldnt help 4sure, their pretty vulnarable when there not burried.. :powerup:

19. Smokiehunter

Smokiehunter New Member

I think they should move the lurker back to looking like a mutated muta instead of what it looks like now. It looks like a completely different unit. Hopefully they will put a couple of tweaks on the model before release.

20. Chax424

Chax424 New Member

A
    Cheers. I love the Zerg so far but the Lurkers model IMHO needs a re-vamp. Like DE.50 pointed out, it looks nothing like the Hyrdalisk, which I think it ought to since, A) it used to, B) its an evolution.
    Lots of the Zerg units seem to colourful for my taste. Well mostly the Lurker and Infestor.
    Excuse me, this will be a bit the off top: