1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The New(er) Hydralisk

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by gtx75, Mar 14, 2008.

?

What do you think of the new lisk ?

1. Love it.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Like it.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. So-So.

100.0%
  4. Dislike.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Hate it.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Tier 3 ? WTF?!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%

The New(er) Hydralisk

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by gtx75, Mar 14, 2008.

1. mutantmagnet

mutantmagnet New Member

Good luck telling Polar Bears, and certain sharks they are evolutionary failures at being predators. Good predators match their environment not the other way around. That said with the hydra's colors it would be decent in a desert and that's just about it.

2. darkone

darkone Moderator

Mississippi
    Polar Bears and Sharks aren't ambush predators.

Anyway, Hydras can just borrow into the ground.

3. gtx75

gtx75 New Member

all i know is that in game, i saw that the hydralisk does have spikes and a second jaw... i also notice that the hydralisk doesn't seem like its ferocious enough with all that color.

the tusk in its second row is too big, the original didn't really have one that sticks out a lot. This time, with more details in sc2, we should at least see the distinction of the second jaw without the oversized tusks

*other thoughts, the lurker does not look one bit like the hydralisk now...

4. darkone

darkone Moderator

Mississippi
    I never thought that lurkers looked like Hydras in the first place.

5. gtx75

gtx75 New Member

actually, if you looked at their heads in the concept arts or even the icon of the unit in game, you can see the resemblance.

6. VodkaChill

VodkaChill New Member

Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    Keep in mind that the Zerg as Evolved.

The hydra as more spikes and has tusk (sadly reassembling an Troll in WC3) but still can be an extension from the second jaw.

The lurker seems to be more armored than before. Looks like he has a huge scarab like shell.

As for the color you need to keep in mind that they are dealing with more colors now. In some old pictures you could see Pink Protoss, that made me laugh pretty hard but they need to make the color outstanding. Maybe it will not look cool, but I think that Blizzard as been pressed enough by the pro gamers and even us that says: ''It's OK to get good looking graphics, but we need to know which unit is mine and which is not'' and ''it seems to messy we don't see what's going on''

Personally, to have bright flashy colors is not a problem compared to ''is that Zergling Brown or Orange?, am I winning that fight or losing?''
    Like everything else ''the middle is key'', but finding that balance.. is something else.

7. darkone

darkone Moderator

Mississippi
    Whatever you say dude.

The tusks just look stupid IMO.

Woot 900 posts!

8. gtx75

gtx75 New Member

actually the color changes i don't mind, but if the units don't look right or its looks got degraded in the process or redecorating it, then that would just suck, the teeth actually looks like the teeths/face undead orcs from Ragnarok lol. either that or i must have forgot how they look

and congrates on your 900th post darkone

9. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Sorry, but WHAT?!

Polar bears are white to match the snow.
    Sharks are blueish/blue and white. The white under belly distorts their shape when viewed from underneath due to constrast with the shimering surface water.
    The blue top is so the shark blends in with the seemingly blue depths.
    Its not the initial colour of the Hydralisk, its those purple highlights/stripes and stuff. Also, the white claws look really off. The colour of the claws would match its initial colour like the cinematic model.

10. Gforce

Gforce New Member

Yeah color has nothing to do with it. Anyway the hydra's change is inevitible.

11. InSaNeCrAzY

InSaNeCrAzY New Member

I like the new one, because look at the teeth =O

They are bigger than Avril Lavignes kay-nines!!! =O

It can totally kill me easily

12. Gforce

Gforce New Member

I never noticed that, but your right.

13. evolved326

evolved326 New Member

on the spikes, more highly evolved does not ensure more spikes and tusks. after 4 billion years of evolution, what predatory animal on earth had spikes all over.

enough with the spikes already. why would the hydra evolve more spikes on its mouth and arms if it was a "ranged attack" creature?

14. Spacechick

Spacechick New Member

To defend them self again crary zergling that hungry for blood i guess

15. Overling

Overling New Member

And why do men have breasts? If the Zerg all evolve from the same larvae, then it's expected to see some strange formations in their anatomy, even though they might not make sense. Or you think men can breast-feed? lol

16. CannonFodder

CannonFodder New Member

Somewhere near you
    i hate the new hydra, those tusks should be chopped off by some frenzied surgeon. Also whats up with the colour? While I agree that different player's units need to stand out from one another, that pinks isn't really sending me the "I am about to kill you" message that the origanal Hydralisk did.

17. SubTachyon

SubTachyon Guest

I am not a great fan of the new Hydralisk. The look is very new to me and the colours dont seem to match up atleast form my point of view. Also the animation of their attack is just horrible and their sound - I wont even go into that. I hope that Blizzard will finish hydras animations and sound properly otherwise Ill have to take a bucket with me everytime while playing SC2.
    Oh and there is the whole new field of whining and flaming - hydras stats and the hydra vs roach issue but I wont go into that.

18. Gforce

Gforce New Member

It was inevitable comrade, but thankfuly their animation is going to change.

19. WuHT

WuHT New Member

Thats a terrible way to argue.
    1) Hydralisk are NOT from earth. They're supposed to be freaky aliens.
    2) Just because something has not evolved, doesn't mean that it's detrimental to the organism's fitness if it did
    3)Spikes are generally evolved as defense to predators here on earth, tusks have more usage (foraging, mating display..etc).

Because they were getting their asses beat down by zealots/enemy lings etc ?
    They definately look more fearsome with big tusks/spikes, but visually you dont' want to go overboard to the point that it looks silly.

20. [LightMare]

[LightMare] New Member

Naga=Hydralisk

anyone notice? the SC2 hydralisk has the same movements as the WC3 Naga. their snake-like tails move in the exact same fashion.

Naga:
    [img width=405 height=493]http://krakou57.free.fr/War3/Models/Units/Naga/NagaRoyalGuard/NagaRoyalGuard.jpg[/img]
    [img width=133 height=105]http://www.battle.net/war3/images/neutral/units/animations/seawitch.gif[/img]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxPwkVITMM8&feature=related (2:30)

Hydralisk:
    [img width=70 height=70]http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/4265/hydralisksc2by6.gif[/img]

don't you agree?