1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Marine Shield

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Singuris, May 23, 2007.

?

Do u think the marine shield looks cool or crappy?

1. i like it

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. i think it sux

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

The Marine Shield

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Singuris, May 23, 2007.

1. PrivateJoker

PrivateJoker New Member

Too be perfectly honest I think the Marines will use their shields like gnarly surfboards, rolling down cliffs and sliding over Zerglings, crushing them. The hip new "stylish shield" moves with the Terran marine will be plenty cool, allowing the Marines too jump off of drop ships, while drop kicking and bouncing off of mutas, doing cool flips on their surf shields, which interestingly will also shield them from ground fire while they drop. However if the shield gets hit way to frequently it will over-heat and get bright red, burning the marines gloved hands. The marine will then yell "Damnit that was hot as hell, and now you have burned my hands you damn *insert name of unit that over-heated their shield*)

:good: ;D :good:

2. capthavic

capthavic New Member

Your limiting mobility argument might be valid for units like ghosts that rely on speed and stealth but thats not how the marines work. They don't roll or flip around; they take the enemy head on. And if the shield is attached to the forearm then they still have use of their hand. Their power suits augment their strength so it shouldn't weigh them down either.

I don't know about you but the more metal between me and a rampaging zerg the better :D

3. Heretic666)GC(

Heretic666)GC( New Member

Newfoundland
    I agree entirly with this. The more between me and an ultralisk or zealot, the heppier i will be. And shields aren't all that premitive. SWAT teams use bullet proof shield and riot control units use them too.

4. PrivateJoker

PrivateJoker New Member

For all we know the Terran use a weightless high powered metal alloy. It works in a sci-fi sense.

5. Light

Light Guest

lol, thats most likely. ;D it is not that primitive, i mean, with all these hydralisk spines and high firepower rifles and plasma what-nut, u gotta have something to backup ur armor...i dont think i will affect efficiency of attack...well, its look crap ;D

btw, IM BACK BABY!

6. Lord David

Lord David New Member

Melbourne, Australian Continent, Earth, Sector 001
    Well I personally don't like the shield, as for use of them in SWAT teams and riot police, it's logical, they wear limited forms of physical body protection, such as bullet proof vests and helmets, but that's mostly it, a shield that covers most of their body seems to bee somewhat effective, especially for riot police as they usually use both batons and shields to "push" rioters backwards.

As for Terran Marines? I think it's useless for them, especially considering the bulkiness of the shield, (and the corny "footman" shield graphic), plus their body armor is supposedly supposed to cover most of their body, why would they need a shield hmm? Like most have pointed out here, it would probably only be limited to ranged damage (though ideally it would be better for melee attacks or maybe a mix of both) Hmmm...

7. Light

Light Guest

i hate how warcraft messed up blizzards mind...now there's footmen in sc2...and bayonets! just like swords.... jeeez, what century is that...its footmen vs grunts!

8. PowerkickasS

PowerkickasS New Member

great isnt it

9. capthavic

capthavic New Member

Well if hydralisks were firing their spines I'd rather have a shield to absorb some of the impact instead of just standing there and hoping they don't puncture my power suit. Similarly if they also get a bayonet (or other close up weapon) upgrade a shield would help deflect some melee attacks against them. Their power suits do cover all their body but they aren't invincible, and like I said before the more metal between me and the enemy the better.

10. Code X Red

Code X Red New Member

The shield changes a classic character from starcraft that should stay the same :bad:

11. Itsmyship

Itsmyship New Member

Where only cool people live... So Cal!
    *shrug* Zealots used swords...psionic swords, but swords nonetheless; I don't see why a marine can't have a shield. The shield feels very imperial to me :)

12. overmind

overmind Active Member

New Zealand
    SWAT teams use shields but they use them in hallways etc. not out in the open
    riot control is to have no losses warfare if i'm under full protection i wo'nt have to kill the rioters etc. it is impratical and stupid for a feild marine to have a shield.

13. qOcOp

qOcOp New Member

I think they recycled the footmen model in warcraft 3. if u look at the footmen it looks very similar to the marine, the placement of the shield and everything. even the death animation, its very similar. but whatever its probably gonna get changed in the future.

14. gr3ykn1ght

gr3ykn1ght New Member

seriously, i'm not against the shield... the marine looks good with or without it ;D but one thing blizzard could do is to make the shield look BETTER... it looks damn bulky and everything, maybe they could like, make it some sort of a skill or something? the shields deployable only when you activate the skill?

15. Nikzad

Nikzad New Member

for all of you making the argument for the utility of a shield, think about this:
    If a shield's benefits outweigh the downsides so much, why aren't they used in real life?
    Today's marines don't even have bullet-proof body suits that are strength augmented and provide life support, just cloth and kevlar on their torso

16. wuffle

wuffle Member

That's because we can't afford to buy every marine a bullet proff body suit that is strength augmented and provides life support. We would rather just give them the cloth and kevlar. We like to spend money on things like planes.

17. [LightMare]

[LightMare] New Member

swat teams won't have shields in 400 years will they?

18. Nikzad

Nikzad New Member

first of all, the point of my post was that the marines in SC have shields, and they already have the big body suits, whereas real marines have much less and do not use shields because those types of personal shields are impractical and too antiquated for modern combat

secondly, you are supporting my point...it would be much more useful to spend our money (in real life, AND in SC) on a wraith or BC or something else that is more useful than some dinky shield

19. Light

Light Guest

and dont forget, its looks gay...

20. Nikzad

Nikzad New Member

i didn't want to offend...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.