1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Marine Shield

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Singuris, May 23, 2007.

?

Do u think the marine shield looks cool or crappy?

1. i like it

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. i think it sux

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

The Marine Shield

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Singuris, May 23, 2007.

1. LoserInLosing

LoserInLosing New Member

The shield make em look *R - Word*. No offense, they really look like medival soldiers carrying guns which is quite wierd

2. capthavic

capthavic New Member

I was thinking that just having it would give them an armor bonus against ranged attacks and the shield wall ability would reduce all damage by half and they can still fire but they would be unable to move and vulnerable from behind. And it would be cool if you could make them use line formation or surround a friendly unit (like a tank in seige mode), what do you think?

3. mc2

mc2 New Member

The marine is suppose to be the most basic unit, so it probably shouldn't have too much special abilities. What they really need is a short ranged weapon similar to firebat's which are effective against zealot rushes.

Their shields are OK I think, capthavic's idea is pretty good. except from the part where it's vulerable from behind, it probably should work for all around the marines. Probably taking HP off the marine for shield boost is a better way since there's medics. If the marine is unable to move for a period of time, it could be disasterous with things like psionic storms or guradians

4. PowerkickasS

PowerkickasS New Member

the only thing in the world that deserves shields are assault terminators =)

5. FlyingTiger

FlyingTiger New Member

CT
    gaaah i feel like this is turning into warcraft.

marines are a basic unit. all this defense abilities bs is not needed. too much micro!

6. FlyingTiger

FlyingTiger New Member

CT
    oh i definetly do not read previous posts :D

7. Heretic666)GC(

Heretic666)GC( New Member

Newfoundland
    It could prtect them from ranged attacks, but slow them down and make them vulnerable to melee. Or it could just increase thier armor but reduce speed. Or maybe it's just a new look that doesn't effect the marine at all.

8. [LightMare]

[LightMare] New Member

i prefer the marine with out the shield. their guns are supposed to be 2 handed. besides, i don't see much of a point except boosting armor, reducing accuracy and speed, and making it super vulnerable to melee attacks. it probably also reduces the fire time. so they shoot less. therefore, alot or stimpack is required, making them weaker to everything, especially splash damage

9. Erich

Erich New Member

I agree with this. Every cinematic with a marine had the marine wielding a bigass gun. Like, if he were to stand his gun up, the gun would be as tall as him and it fires like 500 rounds per second. No 1handed marine carrying a shield is going to be able to tame a monster gun like that.

10. Bullet101

Bullet101 New Member

I thought the shield was angled on the Left arm so a Marine could use both hands to hold, aim, and fire the gun, and still provide a bit of protection.

11. Itsmyship

Itsmyship New Member

Where only cool people live... So Cal!
    Huh...I thought the shield was just some type of accesory thing or something. Well you know what that means....Terran version of "300"!!!

12. Bullet101

Bullet101 New Member

300 Marines, 1,000,000 Zerglings.

13. Itsmyship

Itsmyship New Member

Yep...and Tychus is their version Leonidas :)

14. capthavic

capthavic New Member

That would be so awesome! Quick someone write that down and remember to make a mod of that once the game comes out :D

15. bazzwano

bazzwano New Member

Terran shields are just to resemble the armour upgrade i think. BUT I SAY THUMBS DOWN. Shields are old school, like the time of knights and kings. THEY ARE PRIMITIVE, SC IS THE FUTURE, they have massive armor suits and armour upgrade does not need this silly shield... BLIZZARD, do what dawn of war dark crusade did to show the armour upgrade, put a symbol of the unit armour or something.

16. Bullet101

Bullet101 New Member

You know early gunners in Helicopters sat on a piece of armor. The concept for Marines now isn't much different. "Hey, this can protect me a bit more, let me just put it somewhere where it won't bother me, and still help."

17. LoserInLosing

LoserInLosing New Member

Hmm maybe blizzard is jus going too far with giving marines a new look?? i mean come on, the marine was perfect in sc1.

18. [LightMare]

[LightMare] New Member

sorry, but a shield, anywhere bothers you... on your back, you can't bend down right or roll, in one hand. that arm is useless. in the other hand, vise versa, nailed to your chest: limited movement everywhere, SHIELDS ARE IMPRACTICAL! we ain't in the primitave middle ages, we're in 24[something something] maybe the 2400s'. they shouldn't need a shield. it's heave, blockes your vision, you're fine without it

19. mc2

mc2 New Member

I agree that the marine doesn't need all that many protection as long as the medics are present ;) the overpowering shield gives their body an awkward look and as ElemenTT said, it'll limit their mobility carrying large chucks of armor around.

20. Itsmyship

Itsmyship New Member

I personally like the new look of the marines, it gives them a sense of being soldiers of an empire. The shield concept isn't new either, if you look at the medics in SC1 they wear shields. I'm sure the shield won't make them slower or anything, it'll probably end up being something that just gives them protection from ranged or something

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.