The Marine Shield

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Singuris, May 23, 2007.

?

Do u think the marine shield looks cool or crappy?

1. i like it

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. i think it sux

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

The Marine Shield

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Singuris, May 23, 2007.

1. capthavic

capthavic New Member

Dude... 2 words: no **** ;D

2. Singuris

Singuris New Member

Milwaukee
    Thanks for making the poll

3. EdwardLuke

EdwardLuke New Member

I HATE it. Sorry, i'm sure it may have alot potential strategic value... BUT MARINES ARE SUPPOSED TO BE HARDCORE. Real Men. Thats like asking a marine to wear a cycling helmet! Or something... Not that i'm saying real men don't wear cycling helmets. Just... .... you get the idea.
    At the same time i can see why it could look kinda cool.
    I dunno, it just doesn't seem to suit the whole image of the marine.

4. Nikzad

Nikzad New Member

I agree

I think it looks retarded

Marines are supposed to be standing there, emptying clips upon clips of depleted uranium bullets into the hardened carapaces of zerglings and hydralisks, fighting until the last round, then grabbing a missile from a dead goliath and jumping into a group of zerg while hammering the top of the missile in mid-air...

...not cowering behind some dinky shield

5. Gold

Gold New Member

he needs a big slab of metal, not a hand crafted sheild,

6. Ghost

Ghost New Member

Hmm, if it has something to do with a new skill they get yes, if its just for looks hell no.

7. overmind

overmind Active Member

New Zealand
    :bad:
    the whole game is looking too warcraft
    what the hells up with the tank in seige mode treads!
    no to sheilds yes to bayonets yes to some new unit that uses sheilds(but not an upgrade for marine)

8. Associate

Associate New Member

I think they should instead give the marine improved range and fire power to compensate for their armor weakness, destroying their targets much quicker is better than surviving for a few more seconds because of increased protection, this should also make them more effective in dealing with enemy units when inside a bunker

Also, a terran unit with a shield doesn't really fit the setting, I mean the technology originally belong to the protoss, its just not innovative

9. Gold

Gold New Member

i think the sheild is a good idea, maybe the current graphic is to warcrafty i agree with that,
    it would be made very much cooler if it had a bash attack where the marine charges forward smacks his sheild into the enemy

gritty and marine like

10. 10-Neon

10-Neon New Member

Gainesville, FL
    They're not plasma shields, they're knight-shields.

Blizzard doesn't do innovation (in an internal game mechanics sense,) they do perfection.

11. gr3ykn1ght

gr3ykn1ght New Member

i don't really think the shield really looks THAT bad... maybe if blizzard made it LOOK better... as in much smaller than that big bulky thing... either that or they could create some sort of frontline thingy, like WC3 (you know, like footman's defend skill?), so that marines shoot at the back, whereas marines at the front kinda of take shields and use bayonets. the idea seems quite ok to me if in that sense.

but as of currently, the idea of a shilde isn't too bad, just that now it LOOKS bad.

12. EdwardLuke

EdwardLuke New Member

stop it! NO! i don't WANT them to do it anything LIKE WC3.
    I love starcraft for it's originality...
    Whether it looks bad or not, I just feel it's not starcrafty enough!

Besides a thin shield wouldn't do much against psi blades or the clawing of zerglings.

They just wouldn't be practical in a modern battlefield, all that weight to carry around for not that much gain.

13. Gold

Gold New Member

hey, we dont kno w ANYHTHING about it, there are things we can only ASSUME so none of you can complain, becuase you ahve no idea of how its all going to work, jsut chill until we get some proper info.

14. PowerkickasS

PowerkickasS New Member

BIG FAT GUN --> BOTH HANDS --> BOOM  :good:

simple!  ;)  8)

15. Singuris

Singuris New Member

Milwaukee
    The marines have like foot thick armor if stuff gets through that what do they think a shield will help them from

16. Erich

Erich New Member

I'm indifferent about the shield on the model. Infact, unless they explain it or give a special ability with it, I'm thoroughly against it.

Possible reasons:
    • When in melee range, marines are forced into melee combat. They will gain a 30% defensive bonus from their shield, but their damage will be reduced 50%. It would kind of promote making a "front line" for you troops to tank while others sit back and shoot.
    • Special ability? "Shield Wall" enemy melee units will not be able to pass by "shield walled" unit and will be forced to attack. Marine will gain a 50% defence bonus but will be unable to attack for the duration..... to better explain this... think of the marine having a radius of say 5-10 meters, and any friendly receiving melee damage in that radius is "protected" or "intercepted" by this marine who takes agro and tanks the unit until death or the ability is removed.

Both are just ideas, would add to the battle-micro-management and would effectively counter the zealot charge ability, and increase survivability when getting zerged.

17. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

Explosives. An explosion on the suit could seriously mess them up. In a real world situation, hitting the suit could knock HUD wires loose, frag the suit, heck, even something as little as sooting up the visor could mean brutal death. With a shield, they have a mechanically strengthened shock absorber to prevent that.

18. Erich

Erich New Member

Ya, but the idea of the ability is to protect your other units in the vicinity. Essentially attacking any units in the vicinity of a shield walled marine would force the attack on that marine. EG - Give a siege tank time to get outta siege mode when zerglings get inside, make 30% of ur marines go into this mode when a swarm of zealots come charging in and force them to take 4 or 5 swings at a marine instead of 2-3 while the other marines pound on the zealots unimpeded.

Just an idea anyways.

19. Associate

Associate New Member

I think it has more to do with their passive defense capability, like reducing damage taken from melee attacks or energy projectiles. But this shield thing really made them look like footmens from warcraft, I just hope no attribute reductions are applied to them

20. GuiMontag

GuiMontag New Member

i agree completely lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.