1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Marine Shield

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Singuris, May 23, 2007.

?

Do u think the marine shield looks cool or crappy?

1. i like it

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. i think it sux

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

The Marine Shield

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Singuris, May 23, 2007.

1. LimaBeanMage

LimaBeanMage New Member

Since when on earth could you stab a zergling with a knife and it dies?! That's like stabbing a tiger once and declaring yourself victorious.

Knife = lose. Against most things anyway, you could probably stab medic or a marine without his mighty exo-suit.

2. Nikzad

Nikzad New Member

yeah they don't call it hardened carapace for nothing

3. 10-Neon

10-Neon New Member

Gainesville, FL
    Heretic666)GC:) Little-known fact: Blizzard originally wanted to produce StarCraft as a licensed Warhammer 40k game, but Games Workshop wouldn't let them. They had already established the theme before their request for the license was rejected, so they just kept going with the idea, but didn't explicitly name things after things in Warhammer 40k. Since them, Games Workshop has pulled their head out of the sand and allowed people to use their license, but they really shot themselves in the foot by turning down one of the best game developers in the world.

4. Heretic666)GC(

Heretic666)GC( New Member

Newfoundland
    Really? I never knew it was supposed to be based on 40k. That explains a lot of the similarities. Thanks for that 10-Neon.

5. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    Shield upgrade giving HP and armor is an extremely bad idea. If you want armor on your marines, get the damn infantry armor upgrades.

6. UchihaItachi0129

UchihaItachi0129 New Member

lol or get medics so you can heal ;) unless you're facing a unit that deals 1 hit KO like a reaver. but then again you'd be screwed even with armor. and probably even with hp i mean 125 damage plus splash? that's just nuts to defend against. XD

lol they're even called brood :p
    i've never got to get around to play war hammer. my friend kinda introduced me when we were like in elementary. because i saw him have this little "action figure" he got out. and then i was like what's that? and he's like a character from war hammer. and then he told me a bit about it. and then he said he had his entire "army?" with him since he was going straight to a tournament after school. looks really fun. but you kinda have to imagine everything up because it isnt animated lol

edit: lol oh snap i completely went off topic. oh well i vote for it sux. the marines were fine how they were. i might vote it good if only i saw what the zerg had. blizzard's keeping zerg extremely covered up. i mean the entire demo was terran vs protoss practically. you barely got to see zerg in action. the only time you saw them was when the collosus were introduced and the end where it wrote GG. i think that's right. i dont watch the demo too much i've only seen it about 3 times. and that's nothing compared to other people on this forum ><

7. L0ck and L04d

L0ck and L04d New Member

I never thought of it that way, but youre right, ive whatched it what? at least 20 times.

8. starcraft2

starcraft2 New Member

marines dont need a freaken shield their grunts who need to die fast in order to keep pumping em out, unless in sc2 they become "elite" then no marines dont need shields, there not part of the S.W.A.T. or any type of citizen managment groups. And seriously, they dont really look good with that big bulky shield on them it just makes it look like to much, its like wat they already did with the protoss givng them different color psi_blafes and pylons, thats not the best thing ive ever seen blizz do, and the shield on a marine no warcraft in space!! ;P

9. L0ck and L04d

L0ck and L04d New Member

I HATE THIS GOD DAMNED TOPIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

To all the people who say the shield sux, put yourself in the marines position, you have a bajilion zerglings attacking you, wouldnt you like to have a thick piece of metal to hide behind while you're shelling them with your gun ?

11. marinepower

marinepower New Member

Fairfax
    Although the shield is useful, i think it should either be
    1, an upgrade where you research shields so marine armor goes up +1
    or
    2. just a visual effect when your marines reach say level 3 armor, so there is a noticable difference between lv 0 marines and lv 3 marines.

The marines need some kind of shield to counter the zealot and zergling more effectively, as both lots and lings have gotten some kind of boost. Since the shield might only give them an armor upgrade, i think to research it might only cost 75 mins/gas

Hey, anything to help my marines live longer. :thumbup:

12. LimaBeanMage

LimaBeanMage New Member

If I was on the front lines fighting a million zerglings I would already know my fate is sealed, regardless whether I have a giant piece of metal or not. Secondly, the universe of Starcraft does not reside in that of the first dimension, things can attack you from multiple sides. Just because they have a shield does not mean a zealot will engage them on their shielded side, a zealot can move it aside and stab them or attack them from a different angle. Likewise for zerglings, the shield is fixed on to the marine's shoulder so there is nothing stopping them from jumping on top of it and raping your face.

13. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

Yeah but you can also push things away from you without getting hurt, think 300 and the choke point they were guarding.

I still think, the shield is a great defence regardless.

14. starcraft2

starcraft2 New Member

yeah but also think that the 300 were elites who were bormn doing this, not just some prision soldiers whp were thrown out in the middle of battle like the marines

15. [LightMare]

[LightMare] New Member

hey, no dissing the marines, or i'll get to dissin yo aiss! marines are battle-hardened soldiers.
    completely wrong. let me enlighten you. the shield isn't bolted to his shoulder, it's like any other shield. stapped to the arm. what makes you think the marine can't turn around and make she shield face the opponent at all times? think, you'll get somewhere. besides, all you idiots trying to think of starcraft as real life. jesus! it's not. stop pretending! it's only an in-game scenario that's possible, nothing else. get your facts right before you embarass yourself further

16. L0ck and L04d

L0ck and L04d New Member

amen to that.

17. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

A marine with a shield > a marine without a shield, there's no way around it.

Now, could there have been better upgrades ? Granades, net guns, bayonets that kill, cloak, and so on, yes there probably are. But for the marine its what it needed, a few more seconds in the battle to "soak" up some damage and survive a wee bit longer, for the price of a chunk of metal stuck to their hand.

18. LimaBeanMage

LimaBeanMage New Member

Pulling the "starcraft isn't real" card is a futile tactic in this argument. It just defeats your purpose as well. Considering that you are pulling your argument from the use of shields in the real world. If my logic doesn't work because I'm trying to pull scenarios out of real life situations than neither does yours.

I will repeat what I said before: the shield argument is purely aesthetic because the debate on what can or can't happen in a fictional world will never reach a conclusion. On that note, I still don't like how it looks.

Oh, and before you try to embarrass someone please use proper grammar and finish "all" of your sentences with periods. =P

19. marinepower

marinepower New Member

Fairfax
    The marine shield might be useful if it's an inexpensive research option. If not, then it's a waste of money because there is other research avaliable that is a lot stronger.(stim), and i dont want to spend half my early game resources upgrading marines.

Well, maybe I do. :thumbup: :)

20. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    It is understandable that discussions and debates often branch in difference directions and have a tendancy to drift off from the main topic somewhat. After all, it's almost impossible to only stick to the title or opening post of a thread.

However, please refrain from pure spamming or posting in a way that's distracting to the main topic or branched discussions at hand. Such as posting merely to comment that you do not like the direction that a thread is taking, or just to express sarcasm.

Before posting, please read everything over again. If it makes little sense or isn't remotely close to what's being discussed, then just don't post it. Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.