1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Marine Shield

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Singuris, May 23, 2007.

?

Do u think the marine shield looks cool or crappy?

1. i like it

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. i think it sux

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

The Marine Shield

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Singuris, May 23, 2007.

1. SirBaron

SirBaron New Member

Barret Wallace-arm from FF7, anyone?

2. burkid

burkid New Member

that is my other favorite PC game. (i have FF7 on comp)
    Barret's gun-arm owns

3. paragon

paragon Guest

Their hands are big robotic things that they control with their real hands. Didn't you see the marine being made?

4. burkid

burkid New Member

yeah thats pretty sweet that their hands are in thier wrists.

5. SirBaron

SirBaron New Member

Gief. I've been looking for a PC version of FF7 for like... ages.

6. paragon

paragon Guest

Kinda weird though. You'd think there would be a learning curve to controlling it cause it looked like it was just a bar with buttons on it. But, maybe its intuitive.

FF7 at Amazon

7. SirBaron

SirBaron New Member

Maybe it is.

8. LimaBeanMage

LimaBeanMage New Member

Hm, on a side note, their bayonets are gone. I'm sort of glad about this. Practicality aside, I don't think any new look beats the classic image of a space marine in a thick power suit holding a rifle half his size. It is just a timeless and simplistic image that can work.

9. burkid

burkid New Member

bayonetts are gonna be an upgrade like the shields....

10. [LightMare]

[LightMare] New Member

not bayonettes, what would you use them for? i don't like the image of shield, but it's a useful upgrade, to make the already versatile marine even more!

11. burkid

burkid New Member

zerglings. bayonetts are for zerglings in melee

12. Light

Light Guest

how can bayonets and shields it be an ''upgrade'' ,its like 29 century there.

13. [LightMare]

[LightMare] New Member

marines aren't for melee though.
    24th century ;) unless Tychus Findlay is 500 years old :eek:

14. LimaBeanMage

LimaBeanMage New Member

Hand held shields and bayonets are just silly. Terran are much more advanced than we are so why would they be using ancient technology to fight for their survival? Imagine a soldier today running into battle with a bronze shield and a sickle sword. It just doesn't make sense and seems impractical compared to all of the other technologies that they have.

I think the shield is a good idea, but a good idea in the sense that marines need melee defense. A riot shield is technically a form of defense but it just doesn't fit on a mass scale in the SC universe. At this point I would expect Terran to have worked on energy based technologies and would have made a very primitive form of the Protoss shield.

And as for the bayonets, I don't think they fit in either practicality or image conveyance. The marines are clad in thick metal from head to toe and have a rifle almost as tall as they are that has bullet shells just the size of coke cans. In the wake of a thousand zerglings bearing down upon you what is a six inch piece of metal on the end of your rifle going to do?

15. Light

Light Guest

great summary mage.

elementt- umm...in the UED victory report video is says the year is 2874 or something, look at it.

16. silky2007

silky2007 New Member

it looks ... SUCKY ... the NEW marines in the COLOSSUS pics ... now ... those are marines :X:X

17. paragon

paragon Guest

And StarCraft began in 2499 with most of the stuff you do in the original campaign occuring in 2500.

18. GuiMontag

GuiMontag New Member

the 'they are so advanced argument' doesn't mean anything when talking about hand held sheilds, before the events of sc1 all the marines were fighting against was other humans in gun battles, then suddenly they are facing off against 2 races with staple units that are mellee fighters.
    If you look at our military today there is absolutely no need for sheilds in gun battles, but as soon as armed forces find themselves in mellee situations the first thing they are equiped with is a sheild. There isnt a crowd controll force on the planet that doesnt have riot sheilds.
    As for bayonets, why not be able to smash a zergling in the face with your bayonet, while constantly firing!

19. Itsmyship

Itsmyship New Member

Where only cool people live... So Cal!
    And also, for your arguement that a bayonet is ancient technololgy...a knife is ancient technology as well, yet soldiers are still armed with a knife in battle, hell, soldiers are starting to be armed with bayonets as well....hell, having a bayonet just means another way to kill someone when you're out of bullets instead of being boned on the spot.

20. burkid

burkid New Member

i realize that, but read what Gui said. why not put blades on your gun so when something tries to eat you you can stab them AND shoot them? Marines arent melee units, and get tore up when something gets in melee with them, so a bit of defence to that is a very good idea.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.