1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Marauder

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Seradin, Jan 25, 2008.

The Marauder

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Seradin, Jan 25, 2008.

1. the8thark

the8thark New Member

Yes we can talk about all these super futuristic weaponary for the terran infantry units. But in the end the cost of these weapons will make them not worth wile. Sure they could make a unit with a good protection suit and lazer rifle. But mas producing would cost too much. I think the current line of more reasonable weaponry suits the terrans more. As a rough and tumble force getting by on what ever minerals they can scrape up.

And about having a rocket or shotgun infantry unit, I'm not rwally a fan of them. Though the upgraded shotgun somewhere in this topic is rather nice.

The terrans already have an explosive firing unit and it's called the tank.
    They also have the thor and viking. And both of which have the ability to have the head and body part to move independently of the legs. So they could spin the body around and spread shots off in an arc around the unit. I'm not sure if this will be in the game or not but from the look of the unit it seems possible.

I'd rather the Marauder to be a unit with special shots. Like adding various poisons or what not to his gun. Even armour piercing bullets aren't that fat fetched.

The only thing with this unit, (and yes I'd like in SC2) is I'd like it to be different to the other units. Cause at the moment it isn't so unique to me.

Well it's 2 am and I'm really tired. I'm thinking the best I can at this hour.

2. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    To save time, write down a quick analysis of the Marauder. Tell us how it could/would be used, how it will effect gameplay, tactics and strategies that may be common when based around this unit, pros, cons. If you note the correct facts I'll gladly agree with whatever point you are trying to make but as of now the Marauder isn't that unique and Blizzard could do better. Just like the Ag ability everyone was like omg omg (eve my self) this ability is so cool, but now its dawned that it isn't that great and again Blizzard can do better.

3. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    The Marader is not the same as a vulture. A vulture was used as a scout while the marauder is an anti-armor unit with the ability to keep 'lings away from your forces.

To me they work better than firebats because firebats were good anti infantry but then marines weren't all that bad vs infantry and there was kind of an overlap plus the enemies had to get close which is something a Terran player should be avoiding.

Now with the Marauder the marines take care of infantry with marauders backing them up and keeping them at bay and the marauders kill those pesky vehicles while the marines cover the skies

4. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    How about a combination of the shotgun idea and the slowing down units, have it shoot some kinda static bolts which mess with the nerves/mechanics thus slowing down a unit. How it can have a better effect on gamelpay, refer to the idea a few pages back.

5. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Then you would still have the problem of requiring enemies to close. Also I think the marine is sufficient for anti-infantry use as long as the infantry can be stalled, which it now can.

I like the grenade idea since it adds anti-vehicle oomph to the MM combo.

Also as a bonus we can now call it a M3 combo ;D

6. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    I am sorry to disappoint you, but I doubt it will be bigger than the old new Firebat (lol).
    The Firebat was made in the Factory due to its heavy armor and size. The Marauder is made in the Barracks, so don't expect it to be bigger, more likely the same or smaller.

lol, M&M&M.

7. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

wow. terran got a lot infantries now. i rather have a new mech than another infantry. but if terran can get a new mech and without cutting any infantry then that would be better.

scv

marine
    medic
    ghost
    marauder
    reaper

viking
    siege tank

battlecruiser
    nomad (change the model!)
    banshee
    dropship

thor

starcraft broodwar has 13 units overall. and currently sc2 has 13 too. hhmm.

terran needs ATA unit and another unit from the factory. so if they can add both of this then terran will get 15 units and IMO its the best maximum number for a type of unit in each race.

but if they want it still to be 13.. then cut the reaper and marauder and turn it into a semi large mech build in the factory that can fly on cliffs too which has flame attacks or huge grenade launchers as well as drops d8 charges too. then add the predator as well. there 13 units overall.

8. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

Marauder is much cooler and has more uses than the vulture.

1. It will slow down zealots and zerglings and bigger zerg biological units.
    2. Its going to be a meat shield that can be healed.
    3. Its not only good vs bio units but armored units as well. You needed like 12 vulture do kill 1 dragoon in sc1, and just as much for a goliath or a tank.

9. L89

L89 New Member

Unless your last name is Boxer the Emperor ^_^. Heck, no one can surround-mine-kill dragoons with vultures like Boxer can. Or use a lone kamakaze vulture venturing into the opponent's base to annoy the opponent !@#$less (or is that probeless)

10. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

Can you imagine him using the Marauder ?:p

11. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    I bet he would stim the Marauder, run past all the defenses and use the slowing grenades to cripple the opponents economy (but perhaps the hovering workers aren't affected). If the other guy was Protoss, the Probes would take the grenades mechanical damage bonus and die pretty quick anyway.

12. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

You wouldnt use marauders for that though, you have reapers with mines.

13. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    WE would'nt use the Marauder for that, but we are talking about Boxer here. ;)
    He can make use of everything.

14. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    The only thing i will miss for starcraft 2 is Slayer_Boxer and Savior... crying...

15. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Marauder picture :]

16. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

It looks beefy i like it, its a like a tough Reaper

17. ShoGun

ShoGun Guest

I am a huge fan of the model design, my only complaint is the scale of the model; I think it should be shrunk just a little bit since it is an infantry unit.

18. ShdwyTemplar

ShdwyTemplar New Member

Tacoma, Washington
    Well, here is my first commentary on the Marauder. It appears to be a firebat replacement with awesome capacity. It just seems to be a unit that replaces the firebat well. Fitting the aspect that the Terran we use in SC2 will be criminals. Note the black armor. In fact it reminds me as it probably does others of the firebat artwork where it has the rocket launcher additions to the flamethrower packs on each arm. The actual firing of the weapon would be interesting to see as we don't actually see that. Stim seems like it would be very interestingly combined with this unit. As I was also wondering about this with Reapers. Will we see the speed boost as before when Firebats and Marines used Stim in SC? (Its retorical I don't need an answer.) Still it really fits the Terran criminal image. (As we are criminals now in SC as we are playing R.R.( Raynor's Raiders). Below I put some cropped pictures of the Marauder.

[img width=75 height=80]http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc103/ShdwyTemplar/Marauder1.jpg[/img]
    Concussion grenade launchers down.

[img width=82 height=88]http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc103/ShdwyTemplar/Marauder2-1.jpg?t=1204923365[/img]
    Concussion grenade launchers up.

They are a bit better quality than Zerg's. Sorry Zerg.

19. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    Nah... not mechy enough for it to come from the Factory. Besides, the bulk would make sense if it was the Firebat because that would need to store the fuel and stuff on its back. What does a grenade launcher need the size of that backpack?

It actually reminds me of a lunatic tied up in a strait-jacket.

20. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Lol my bad, I forgot paint sux. But I wanna know how and why its attack slows down units.