1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Marauder

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Seradin, Jan 25, 2008.

The Marauder

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Seradin, Jan 25, 2008.

1. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Bring back the predator

That is all

2. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    @ DKutrovsky. The gameplay blog in Q&A Batch 28 described Marauder's as "formidable early support units" and as "being able to pick off units of a weaker early game army". So seeing as they are only referred to in early stages of the game, and also seeing as there are no early air units, barring the Overlord, I'd say it has a good chance at only being a Ground-to-Ground unit.
    On top of that, in Q&A batch 27 it is said; "their Marauder units, replacing the old Firebat, making quick work of my ground army". So I assume that it is pretty likely that they do not attack air targets at this stage.

3. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    Yeah, that's right Itza. There is just no chance that it can attack air.

None of us can know, we're just guessing. :D Was it 10 minerals in the pot?

What I don't understand is why they kept the design when changing the unit. If I were them, I would have kept the Firebat, given its flamethrowers a little longer range, the slow down vs. Biological (kinda makes sense, it's difficult to run fast when you're skin is on fire :p) , OR, I would've given it a new design along with the dual grenade launchers.

4. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    I never meant that it's impossible for it to attack air, but if it can, it can hardly be counted against an Anti-Air unit.
    I do agree with you on keeping it as the Firebat. It'd be harder to run when facing a torrent of fire and it would still get the advantage against armored units because vehicles are always prone to overheating, having their fuel tanks ignited, etc.

5. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    I am sorry if I made it sound like that, that was just my own opinion based on all the evidence you brought up. :) I am quite sure that the last Factory unit will be some kind of GtA, now that the Thor turned back into a GtG. I doubt that the Viking will, even if it sort of replaces the Goliath furfill the same purposes. The price for inter tier action is the price of hp and damage, so units like Vikings, Reapers and Stalkers will of course have less hp than the less mobile equivalents.
    My point is that A unit solely made for GtA could have a lot more damage and hp without being OP.

6. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    I didn't mean to say that you're accusing me of saying that, I just wanted to clarify my view. It's not impossible that it doesn't have an Anti-Air attack, but I doubt that it will.
    True. An army that focuses on inter-tier units will have to spend more money on their units meaning that another team that has a lot more firepower after spending the same amount of minerals. However this might even balance itself out because the inter-tier team might be able to even things up if it takes enough advantage of jumping cliffs etc.
    However all these things can be balanced out normally. No matter what, if the Factory unit is a dedicated Anti-Air unit then it'll be able to be balanced properly. I'd just like to know what design they'll choose for it.

7. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Notice Blizzard are bringing back old ideas, I mean come on this has been done. Its called a Vulture which in its self allow multiple tactics and added new dynamics to the game with it's micro capabilities and extreme speed.
    This unit will be a stronger but slower Vulture. I'd rather Blizzard did something which adds more tactics to the game without giving it some flashy ability.

Plz add a vote asking whether we like or dislike the current status of the Marauder.

8. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    How do you figure that we even have enough information to judge whether we like it? Also, the Marauder is nothing like a Vulture at the moment. It's found in early game, not mid game. It is slow, not fast. It slows down Infantry and does extra damage against Vehicles instead of having a Concussive attack. Also, it doesn't have Spider-mines. The only link you have drawn between them is that they both have grenade launchers. Well done, dude. Well done.

9. CodyFallsForth

CodyFallsForth New Member

Also built from the rax, and not from the factory.

Seems to me that blizz has been thinking.

10. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Vultures were early game.
    Unit can't be that slow since it can be stimmed.
    Has splash like a Vulture obviously.
    Its a Vulture without the speed upgrade.
    Slows down units which makes up for its speed meaning either way fast or not its similar to the Vulture.

Since you seem to be defending this unit meaning you are content with it, explain what kinda tactics and dynamic gameplay within the individual unit can be spawned? We know enough to make speculation.

11. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    First off, I'm not content with it. You should have realized that from one of my earlier posts. I'd much rather an Anti-Air unit to take the pressure off the last unknown Factory unit.
    Second, Vultures were made at the Factory which comes later than the units in the Barracks. Vultures could retain their speed forever and had an additional speed upgrade, Stim Packs is the only speed upgrade that Infantry have at the moment, it's temporary and costs health. Vultures do not have splash damage.

12. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    ''Fragmentation Grenades'', Ask any Terran player and they'll tell you the Vulture has a small splash radius. And also, note that Vultures were not very fast until the speed upgrade.

But yea, this is a pointless argument. My point is that I think Blizzard can do better and this unit isn't anything special or unique.

13. Ych

Ych New Member

Sorry to burst your bubbles Zergalicious, but Vultures have no splash damage whatsoever.

14. Prodigal

Prodigal New Member

I was right about this unit. In some other posted I guessed that the marauders would have grenades...which was actually the unit in Starcraft Alpha...the marines went on to replace the Marauders, I guess the developers always wanted to work them in.

15. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

exactly.

my only problem with the terran infantry is their weapons. why does it has to be realistic or some present day weapons. lets talk about the weapons of the future. unreal tournament 3 has great sci fi weapons and starcraft infantry weapons are just ok. =\ not that i dont like the gauss rifle of the marine. i love the marine weapon now but too much realistic, bullets, unhardcore sci fi weapons on all terran infantries is lacking and not unique and not groundbreaking or whatsoever. reapers pistols is what i hate most. :p

and the model of the marauder should be mech like, maybe bigger than the new firebat. if it is, then i think the maruader will be ok lorewise.

16. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Ah, my bad. I just tested this and there was no splash damage. But why would I believe so strongly there was a splash effect (a small one at that) if there wasn't ???
    I could have sworn maybe in an earlier patch they did splash damage. Maybe I was thinking of Starcraft original not Broodwar?. But oh well mistake noted :D

But still.. the Marauder could be better.. Grenades seem so boring compared to the other obvious possibilities.

17. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Why do people always say that new units are not unique?! It happened with the Phoenix and now it's happening with the Marauder. Explain how this unit is not unique. Is the slowing attack and damage bonus against armored units not good enough for you? Or is it the fact that they use Concussion Grenades that makes them not unique, despite being the only unit in StarCraft2 to use Grenades, that isn't making the cut? Why do people always say that these new units are not unique? They're all unique! Also, what other weapon could they have? The possibilities are basically bullets, lasers, flames, missiles, grenades and plasma. All have been done before or are already in the current build, so why are the grenades such a bad option?

18. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Its beacause very few things in this world are unique and thhe 5 billion people with the Cpt. Obvious gene feel the need to point that out

19. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Its not the unit it's self I'm saying THIS has basically been done with a Vulture, except it has +damage for armor and slows things down. And when I say its not unique or something I am saying it is boring and could be better. Come on now, I'm sure you can realize how this unit will turn out.
    Also I don't think this unit could drastically change gameplay allowing now tactics and strategies to be based around it.
    Take the Viking for example: Oh well its a robot that transforms big whoop? No, the Viking was a hit as it added many new strategies and dynamic gameplay not only be use of this unit but by combination of it's attributes. i could state more but I'm sure you understand what I'm saying.

If any mod creates the thread a suggested in batch 28 about ability ideas and units concepts, I'd gladly hand over many ideas and once an initial idea is out it can be built upon creating a very good unit/ability. And the good thing about that is the community had a direct input and they can't say its imba or boring as they can change it with opinion/facts.

20. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    So, how exactly did the Vulture create more tactics than the Marauder will? All the Vulture could do was scout, pick off some Zerglings or a lone Marine, and plant Spider Mines. The Mines were effective, yes, but they could easily be taken down before they had a chance to detonate, especially when a group of Marines trigger it.
    The Marauder on the other hand can slow down all biological units. It may not sound like much, but to a purely ranged team, it means a heck of a lot. It means that Siege Tanks will easily be able to fir in more shots before the target reaches them. It means that Marines will have a lot more time to fire before they can get in combat. It means that Reapers mightn't be able to escape from an economy raid.
    The only link you still have between the Marauder and Vulture is that they both use Grenades. Sure, the Marauder might be able to slow units down and use Stim Pack so it can escape, but that doesn't mean it's fast like a Vulture. It'd say that the Reaper is more similar to the old Vulture. The Reaper is fast, able to scout, raid and escape easily, it has the D8 charges which are similar to Spider-Mines and it doesn't have a particularly strong attack.