1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Immortal's Hardened Shield: Possibility that it could be micro managed

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by ShdwyTemplar, Jul 26, 2007.

The Immortal's Hardened Shield: Possibility that it could be micro managed

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by ShdwyTemplar, Jul 26, 2007.

1. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    As far as I know, only certain attacks will activate the shield. I haven't been able to find a definitive answer on what units and attacks will activate it, but I'm assuming it is something like 40+ damage per hit.

So that would include Tanks, Battlecruiser Special, Nukes, Ultralisks(or something similar), Reaper Bombs, etc.....

I'm also wondering... Are we sure that if an attack like EMP hits them that the shield will be deactivated? No shield mana = no hardening? Or is it just a unit trait?

2. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    The first video of the immortal that showed them fighting siege tanks showed that the hardened shield stopped to work after a few tank shots which is why I assumed that the hardened shield only activates when there's regular shieldpoints.
    I'm almost certain 40 is too much as minimum damage to activate. The person who introduced the units (forgot his name) did say it activates at great amounts of damage so my marine attack theory might be off. You can find a screenshot at the official page where there are marines and banshees attacking the protoss which shows hardened shields activating and I highly doubt banshees do 40 damage with one shot.

3. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    I was just offering 40 damage as a possible limit... I mean tanks in SC1 did 70 seiged, so I assumed that was pretty much what the shield was designed for.

Maybe its a combined damage thing... if you have enough marines, maybe the shield DOES activate. Or perhaps the attack is activated by anything above 10 damage, although it seems to me that it would make it pretty much impervious and without a real weakness. Most units have one or two units that perfectly and totally counter it. Even the old dragoon was rather vulnerable to zerglings, mines, and seige tanks.

4. Indigent

Indigent New Member

The vikings can activate the shield that is for sure. I have my sources.

5. PhantomFF

PhantomFF New Member

MD
    It might be based off of a DPS scale..."if dragoon is takeing more then XX dmg per second, then hardened sheild activates"

6. Indigent

Indigent New Member

Wow, 10 damage is a little... cheaters, even cobras can probably activate the shields now.

7. Forest_noir

Forest_noir New Member

Yeah?we see that in the gameplay video.
    But?if 10 dmg could activate the immortal`s shields.The doubtful point about the new dmg to protoss shelid is clear.

The viking dmg is 8+8 vs light,the immortal type is armored.If viking coule activate shields leads to one answer:the sheild take all the +vs type dmg?just like SC1 they take full damage.

8. Ghost

Ghost New Member

What the shield does is the following:

It changes ALL attacks directed to it into 10 dmg, this means that if you attack with 70 dmg, it gets reduced to 10, BUT if you attack with 6, it INCREASES to 10.

This is why it is effective to use weak, fast units against the Immotals Hardened Shields.

9. burkid

burkid New Member

no, it doesnt increase damage. it just says in the tooltip for the upgrade that it reduces maximum damage done to the immortals sheild be 10. so that means seige tanks do 10 damage to it and marines do 6, but since marines attack faster, marines are the counter.

10. Eye_Carumba

Eye_Carumba New Member

How do you know the viking's damage? Anyway, I think the Immortal shield is a great deal. It's reduction to 10 dmg of all dmg superior to that is incredible, and yet makes the low tier units back on the game.

But since the Immortals are on the same tech branch as High Templars, low tier units in high numbers are still in danger, lol! It's just a blessing that Immortals can't hit air, and that High templars need energy to cast! I didn't understand this shield before, but now that I know how it works, I'm just loving it! <3

11. Ghost

Ghost New Member

Oh ok, I seem to have misunderstood the damage increase part. Thx for that burkid.

12. Forest_noir

Forest_noir New Member

Immortal Type
    [img width=450 height=337]http://images.ccnec.com/pic/2007/08/04/20070804183316528_C.JPG[/img]
    Viking Robot Mode DMG
    [img width=500 height=375]http://images.ccnec.com/pic/2007/08/04/20070804144445559_C.JPG[/img]

I send mostly unit date in this post?But I did no add the SiegeTank and predator yeah.
    http://www.starcraft2forum.org/forums/index.php?topic=1681.0

The unit date table isnt complete?because I missed some key information about Viking Fighter Mode ?Thor? Banshee ?Reaper?DT?Immortal?

13. Eye_Carumba

Eye_Carumba New Member

:powerup: for you my friend! Great information! But vikings still do double dmg on light armor units (perhaps to aid raiding of workers, lol), and not on armored ones like the Immortals. Thus, vikings still won't trigger the immortal shield effect. ;-)

14. Forest_noir

Forest_noir New Member

IMO Viking do 8+8 to Protoss Sheild whatecer your type is?but do 8 DMG to immortal Hit Point?

15. Indigent

Indigent New Member

Wait.. is a imortal considered a light unit? How do marines activate the shield when they don't even do 10 damage?? How come vikings can activate the shield? I think imortals are not considered light.

16. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    Awww too bad about the not increasing attacks part.... 12 Marines would be > than 12 Immortals lol.

So basically the weak point of the Immortals is the AMOUNT of units attacking them, not the size of the attack. Infantry will "relatively" rape them.

17. Eye_Carumba

Eye_Carumba New Member

Infantry or units that really attack fast, like the Warp Rays (if their dmg really is 4/8/12 and it's no-cooldown). We have to see them working to find out. Anything with a vary fast cooldown will own Immortals, specially in high numbers. But I still think that fast units> high numbered units. It's more important that thye be fast.

18. Ghost

Ghost New Member

Well, cracklings are the immortals worst nightmare in that case lol.

19. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

[img width=670 height=502]http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e280/drewcbarnard/087.jpg[/img]

don't think it as activating the shield, rather think the hardened shield is always there and what it does is reduce the maximum damage the immortal takes from any single attack to 10

so for siege tanks: 70 damage reduced to 10 damage. now the siege tank attack roughly once every 5 seconds so it only does 2 damage per second to the immortal

when the marine attacks the immortal, because its attack does less than 10 damage, the shield has no effect, so the marine will still do 6 damage per second to the immortal, 3 times more effective than the siege tank.

20. Indigent

Indigent New Member

It shows here that marines are the only units on the screen. And the imortals shield is being activated still.