1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Horror of the Infestor!!

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Prodigal, Mar 10, 2008.

?

What do you think of the infester's model? (Model only)

1. Its great and origional! Keep it!

21.1%
  2. I'd prefer a new model.

57.9%
  3. I don't really care.

21.1%

The Horror of the Infestor!!

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Prodigal, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    I heard that it in a matter of seconds (10-ish, I think it was) deals damage to the victims until 5% of the hp remains.

I think I'll start looking for my source now...

2. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    I've heard something similar. What I remember hearing was that it takes off 10% each second for 10 seconds, but that's impossible because it's not supposed to kill them. Also I doubt that it would be done in percentages because that would make it much more effective against buildings, etc, instead of infantry which is what plagues and diseases are supposed to be effective against. Maybe it deals constant damage until the unit is on 5% health, or something. Good luck in your hunting, I'll be looking forwards to what you find.

3. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    OK so this is what I found:

The infestor replaces the defiler. It can cast dark swarm. It may move toward the enemy while burrowed. Disease seems to mimic the Science Vessel's irradiation. The Infestor can infest any building including barracks.
    Source: http://www.cheatcc.com/ccc_newsserver/Article.aspx?PostID=374489

"The only thing I find to be interesting, is that "Infestor's disease can lock the target, while at the same time dealing damage to the target and units around it" (although this may be a result of mistranslation...)."
    Source: http://www.starcraft-source.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2683

I also found this awesome picture:
    [img width=400 height=320]http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/1456/zergtb1.jpg[/img]

I dunno man, all sources say different things. Some suggests that it works like Irradiation, others think it works like Lockdown+ Plague, and we thought it would plague the targets down to 5%.

It can be pretty much anything right now. Only time (and Blizzard :p) can tell.

4. ekulio

ekulio New Member

@hero:

maybe 10% per second mean 10% of whatever's left. So if it has 100 hp, the first second takes 10 damage, but then it's at 90hp, so the second second (lol) takes only 9 damage, so on and so forth.

5. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
  6. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    I'm not too happy with that. That would mean it does more against Thors, Motherships, Siege Tanks and Colossi than it does against Marines, Marauders, Zealots and Templar. Diseases are supposed to take out people, not vehicles. I'm aware that there are people in most of the vehicles, but even if they're on 0.0001% health, as long as the vehicle isn't damaged, it should be at full health, seeing as it's the vehicle that takes the damage, not the people inside. Disease or Plague should be designed as a bioweapon for Anti-Infantry, and not for Anti-Vehicle.

7. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    Well, that mostly because it'll be too good against Zerg and not so good against Terrans and terrible against the Protoss. It doesn't make sense, but neither does a lot of stuff, like how Mutalisks can fly in a vacuum. If it's good for the game, I'm all for it. Gameplay > realism. :D

8. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    It doesn't matter as much if a Zerg ability is more effective against Zerg or if a Terran ability is more effective against Terran or if a Protoss ability is more effective against the Protoss. Each team gets the exact same advantage and disadvantage. No matter what, if two of the exact same teams fight each other, it will be an even match. In games between different teams there will always obviously be more of a certain type of unit used than if they were playing another team, so why does it matter if Zerg would use the Infestor more against the Zerg? Besides, it doesn't necessarily have to have a bonus against biological units, it could be against small units or light armoured units. It'd pretty much have the same effect that way and would still make some sense logically.

9. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Its just a name people.

Would you rather they be more specific and call it "Corrosive spores able to move from one object to the next if in close proximity"?

Disease and plauge both get that concept across rather well by saying "its bad and it spreads"

10. Overling

Overling New Member

Well, disease probably only works versus partially organic ground units. Zealots, Stalkers, Archons, Immortals and templars would fit the bill for Protoss, while Probes, Colossi and air would remain whole. Against Zergs and Terrans it would be most useful, but Terrans have healing ways (either Medivac or Medics) for their units. It should be a real challenge in Z vs Z.

11. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    I asked Joneagle and here's what he said:

It works very similar to plague from SC1 the original. I was not able to fully test the ability because of time restrains, but what I did see was that it reduces a unit's health to the red area, somewhere between 5-10% of its full health, and if it comes into contact with a non-infected unit outside the AoE of the original ability while the Disease is still "contagious," that unit will also become infected.

So in an army not being carefully quarantined there is technically the possibility that it could quickly spread through the ranks. The "spread" did not seem to jump from Unit to Building, but it would jump from Building to Unit.

12. ekulio

ekulio New Member

That sounds like it would be ridiculously powerful, especially in crowded battles. Does it spread to your own units? That could be dangerous. It'll be like in Halo when you get stickied and you run into the person who stickied you to take them out with you...does this analogy work? You know, if you disease the enemy they'll run into your units to kill them. Hmmm...I wonder if burrowed units can catch it?

13. Sakujou

Sakujou New Member

It's El Diablo taking over SC2...Its a spoiler, if you use the unit through the whole game you get a secret preview to Diablo 3 and the release date D<

14. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    I think it will only affect the enemys units like plauge, but its all up to balance ofc.

Yeah im a hero, a hero, a hero, i got 1000 posts YEAH!

15. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Well since its so contagous the damage limit should be half.
    Or maybe the duration of exposure affects the damage limit.

Since plague had a slpash effect, that makes players pinpoint the best place to cast it. Since plague didn't spread like disease will it could do a lot of damage.
    Now since disease spreads, I think the first few unitw which get caught up in the cast will recieve that 95% damage.
    But there should be a timer as to how long it lasts working with the remaining damage rate.
    So if a unit suffers from disease and is at like 20% left of life, the unit which catches the disease would only get something like 10% damage.

So of course smaller units will suffer the most from this.

16. ekulio

ekulio New Member

Well most likely players will isolate the diseased units right away. I'm sure it requires extended exposure to spread...the trick will be distracting the other player enough that he doesn't notice the disease.

17. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    @ Zergalicious. I'm a bit confused about the reasoning in your last post. Do you mind explaining it again?

18. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Lol my bad, it was hard to word it.

Lets see.

Plague:
    Was limited to a certain area in which it could affect troops.
    Since that area wasn't exactly large, that allowed a large amount of damage to be dealt.

Disease:
    Is not limited to a certain area where it can affect troops as it can spread.
    So now it should not do the maximum 95% damage to every unit the disease spreads too.

Ok, I just realized how it may work:
    While that 95% of damage is being put into action the disease is still active meaning it will spread during that time.
    Once the damage has been done, the disease no longer affects anyone but the damage is done.
    Now if that unit touches another unit while it is still being damaged by disease, it will spread.

But that seems kinda imbalanced if a unit thats been damaged 90% to pass on the full effect of the disease to another where it can start all over again.

So there needs to be a rule which controls the amount of damage from the disease when it gets passed on.
    Also there needs to be another rule which relates to its effect on much larger units like a Mothership or Ultralisk.

That can be thought up here...

19. ekulio

ekulio New Member

Hmmm...I don't know if it should effect larger species differently. If it were poison, then yes, it wouldn't have nearly the same effect on larger units, but I don't think it matters for disease.

Of course, then you come back to the whole "how the heck is it damaging mechanical units then?" thing.

Probably the disease will have a set duration which expires universally no matter how recently each unit caught it. So marine A gets disease, passes it to marine B after 2 seconds and marine C after five seconds. After ten seconds is up the disease goes away, so that while A had to endure the full effect, B only had to endure it for 8 seconds and C for only 5 seconds.

Follow? is that what your getting at Zergalicious?

20. SCunite

SCunite New Member

Diseased units are probably not as powerful as the real units, (less HP, less energy, less attack damage and armor)