1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Horror of the Infestor!!

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Prodigal, Mar 10, 2008.

?

What do you think of the infester's model? (Model only)

1. Its great and origional! Keep it!

21.1%
  2. I'd prefer a new model.

57.9%
  3. I don't really care.

21.1%

The Horror of the Infestor!!

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Prodigal, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Re: The infester's Model

Something of that form and shape would not be able to effectivly burrow. Especially thru metal and rocks.

The Defiler was just right, would look better tunneling thru the ground as you could imagine it being worm like. The name Defiler was also much better since it had a greater meaning.

2. Darktemplar_L

Darktemplar_L New Member

Bay Area
    Re: The infester's Model

The Infestor's model is ugly even for the Zerg... We definitely need a better design. And don't make it fat looking.

3. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Thank god. I was waiting for someone to say that.
    /signed.

4. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    /signed again

It looks almost exactly like the Zergling from WoW. In other words, crap.

5. Meee

Meee New Member

Poland
    /same here

6. Hunter

Hunter New Member

Hungary,Székesfehérvár
    I don't know if this has already been posted, but terans have the sensor tower which informs them about the incoming units, and if the infestor came underground, there are also detectors. If that wasn't enough, thebuildings can be lifted off, I don't think they can infest it that way.

7. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    I haven't got anything to back myself up, but I've heard from a couple of people that Infested buildings only last about twenty-five seconds before destroying themselves or becoming dysfunctional or something. I've also heard that buying Infested Marines works a bit like buying Reapers, where they come in instant groups, but have a cooldown afterwards. This might explain why so many spawn so quickly in the Zerg video that I've sure we've all seen.
    I admit that this is second-hand, unsourced information, but I thought it was worth mentioning. It's entirely possible seeing as so many Infested Marines all spawn at once, and because we never see what ends up happening with the Infested buildings.

8. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    Currently, the infested building will turn normal after half a minute or so, and while being infested, it pumps out infested units.

9. Blackskies

Blackskies New Member

uh didn't they just give a Q&A saying the infestation lasts for ever like the infested cc from sc1...

10. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    I forget where I read that information also, I think Jon may have said it too. But if it works like that it majorly sucks.
    Not very tactical, the game plays its self there.

11. Blackskies

Blackskies New Member

i dont no it sounds pretty awsome
    although it sucks because u get a few of those into an enemy base and they loose the game. Kind of imbalanced they need to limit it to the barracks or something. If someone gets 12 of those into your base then they pop up infest and then u loose all ur buildings..... gg.

12. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Yeah, but think about how expensive twelve of those would be, not to mention how much the rest of your army would have to compensate for them. Then there's the fact that teams usually have Detectors on their front line, etc, etc.
    Saying that massing them would be unfair is just like saying that massing Defilers would be unfair because they basically have an infinite amount of mana and can reduce almost anything to one health. It didn't actually work like that.

13. Blackskies

Blackskies New Member

yeah but they didnt take away ur own bases and whos to say they cannot infect sensor towers? 3 of these into an enemy base with a nydus worm pumping units= gg.

14. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    Yeah, let the enemy tech to infestors without doing anything...
    And remember, the video was surely speeded up, infestion will be something you do when you "drop" or attack, so that the enemy i looking elsewhere, not taking care of his base!?

15. Blackskies

Blackskies New Member

will it work on bunkers :) lol just think u will start off with 4 marines
    mwahahahaha

16. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Unless you had unlimited resources, massing twelve Infestors would detract from the rest of your base. They're not going to be cheap, so you won't have as many remaining resources to spend on defences and your other forces, and they're pretty one-purpose so it won't be like massing Carriers or Battlecruisers. Also, Infesting Sensor Towers wouldn't help your cause. They'll know that their Sensor Towers are being Infested or destroyed, so they will know you're there, and will know your tactics, consequently building more Towers. This is a bit different to your initial idea of stealthing into their base underground.
    That's just like saying having three Colossi in their base with a Phase Prism pumping in units is game over, or having three Thors in their base with a Ghost dropping in units is game over. So what? Of course having three amazingly powerful units in their base with the rest of your army getting teleported in will win you the game, it's nothing unique to Zerg.

17. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    The current mechanic is stupid and not really Starcraft type play. Everything is manual which forces players to play tactical.
    With this mechanic of massing the Infested Marines for a duration of time is not tactical. It doesn't allow choice.
    The only thing you decide is how many you want.
    Its basically, get as many Infestors into a base and infest everything for the maximum effect.

They need to physcially infest a building and keep it permanently.
    The only thing which should be infested is the Barracks and Gateways.

Don't you think it would be ima and annoying you all you had to do was place a few Infesters on a cliff and spray some Supply depots, giving you a mass of Infested Marines...

18. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    As I said before, massing Infestors wouldn't be an effective tactic.
    I reckon it's fine to Infest more than the Barracks, because it's not like that's the only building that would have people inside. I admit that Supply Depots is a bit of a stretch. They'd probably be unmanned anyway.
    About Infesting Gateways. All it should do is either render the Gateway useless, or only allow Infested Hulls. The actual Protoss themselves shouldn't be able to be Infested, only overgrow their machinery, assuming there's any machinery to Infest, after all, it's all Warped In.
    I still haven't come up with the right word for what the Infestation would do to the empty hull, overgrow I guess, but it's similar to what a Strangler Fig does. Not strangle, because their isn't anything to kill, but you get the idea.

EDIT: I've decided to sum it up as being a cross between a Strangler Fig and a Hermit Crab. It seems appropriate, and I'm not having any luck thinking of a word to describe it.

19. ekulio

ekulio New Member

I think we're all agreed that nobody likes the model. I would like to see a centipede-like model (like the old defiler kinda) also the current infestation animation looks like the buildings are being puked on. I would rather see the infestor have to enter the building (like the queen in SC1) to corrupt it.

And I don't think disease will be the same as plauge. It's probably a really nasty debuff or something, lowering attack/speed of biological units or something.

I had an idea for the new defiler a while back. A "corrode" ability that temporarily lowers armor rating or something...just a thought.

20. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    I'm pretty sure that the Infestor's Plague ability will deal damage, not just a debuff. I've also heard it spreads to other units, but surely there would have to be some limitations on this otherwise it would just rip through their army, spreading, infecting and reinfecting. Does anything know any more about it?