1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Horror of the Infestor!!

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Prodigal, Mar 10, 2008.

?

What do you think of the infester's model? (Model only)

1. Its great and origional! Keep it!

21.1%
  2. I'd prefer a new model.

57.9%
  3. I don't really care.

21.1%

The Horror of the Infestor!!

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Prodigal, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Prodigal

Prodigal New Member

@Dark,

THe Infestors will probably be VERY gas expensive and low HP, if someone masses Infestors, it would be very easy for them to be wiped out by your forces. A couple siege tanks or Jackals should be able to handle them. Also a unit may still have EMP in the final version...

Lets not forget the Protoss, the Nullifer should be able to micro-cancel them out during an attempted infestation. Also if feedback is still in the game you can assassinate the little buggers.

Infestors DO NOT EQUAL Imbalance.

2. myrcutio

myrcutio New Member

also, any detector should be able to spot em quickly, and i'm sure there will be some sort of ground animation to give em away. 8 seconds (time it took to finish infesting in the video) is a long time to run some marines from one side of your base to the other.

If you let a bunch of infestors run amok in your base, i'd say you deserve to have it filled with infested units.

3. Seradin

Seradin New Member

Aiur
    itll be virtually impossible for infestor's to get into a protoss base considering we always have cannons around our structures.

4. JudicatorPrime

JudicatorPrime New Member

I agree about the visuals, atleast the attack. It looks awful... Really, really, awful. I also don't know about the Infested Marine, I guess I can do without my kamikaze unit because of the new 'Ling upgrade, but still... It throws nostalgia out the window.

5. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    You can only infest Terran buildings. And you can't directly control them either. They automatically spawn infested units until the time limit runs out, at which point they revert back to their normal status.

6. Prodigal

Prodigal New Member

According to one of the videos the developer stated that you can infest any building, and he does say for example a Pylon. Will their be infested Zealots if you takeover the Toss buildings?

7. DE.50

DE.50 New Member

Washington
    I just can't see that thing moving underground, especially at the rate that it did. I am fine with the model, the zerg need something less buggy and more disgusting in their lineup, but that thing cannot move underground. I think that it needs to only have one mouth at the top, and it moves with spines that are lined all around it, and it has a worm like motion, gets compact, then elongates to move. That is the way I see an Infestor.
    Terrans will survive dark swarm with the jackal, which will own zerglings at the very least, and siege tanks can pick off the ultralisks and roaches (melee?).
    I have a feeling infest isn't perfected yet, so I will wait to comment on it.

8. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    That's like saying that Terran need something different that's less human or less mechanical, or that Protoss need something different that's less psychic or less advanced. Look at all the other units that Zerg have at their disposal. They're all insectoid. That's what the Zerg are. The whole foundation behind them is based on that. It's pointless to have a unit that's completely different to the rest of the army. It'd just mess up the game, graphics-wise, by destroying the uniformity of their army by not fitting in with the rest.

9. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    1."Blizzard" said that they were still working on it.
    2. Why then comment on Starcraft 2? Starcraft 2 isnt perfect yet either. We are commenting to make things better!

10. ShoGun

ShoGun Guest

I have to agree with everyone on the model and the infestation attack animation . . . they suck!

As for dark swarm vs terrans . . . I hope the jackals get a fire-based attack like some videos have been showing, this way the terrans have a method to counter dark swarm.

At first I didn't like the new concept behind infestation, but for game play it does serve an interesting purpose. What I didn't like is the limited effect, and automatic spawning of infested terrans. In starcraft 1, it was fun to infest command centers and send them back to my base. It was like conquering the enemy and owning a piece of them for your own benefits, but now it doesn't seem like you can do that and worst of all the building eventually converts back. But I am starting to like the new process, strategy-wise since infested terrans aren't necessary as a production unit anymore without their extreme suicidal attack but as a fun new base assault tactic =P.

If there is ever a chance or a reason, I would like infestation to be changed in these ways:
    1.) Make the infestor do "corruption" damage similar to the corruptor, except it can only target buildings.
    2.) Make the effect permanent once the building is fully infested and infested terrans should be built and not periodically spawned.
    3.) I believe it can target any building (including the protoss) but only by infesting a barracks should infested terrans/marines be built and that should be the only the infested unit for zerg. Otherwise things just get too complicated.
    4.) Infesting buildings should not grant you their abilities or increase your population cap. The building requires a personel team to operate its functions and another thing is the zerg population count is determined by "control" over the brood, not by giving supplies or psi. One exception to abilities is lift-off for terran buildings, flying infested buildings is to die for.

11. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    yeah i was thinking about the flames too, but wouldnt it be a bit OP!?!?

12. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    So if the Infester burrows in the direction of a evalated platform or something. Being in the middle of it, wouldn't that allow it to burrow on top of the raised platform. Then from range it can infest the Protoss buildings.

13. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    I think it will not be able to pass cliffs etc, but perhaps some obstackles.
    At least the map editor can choose in some way then :D

14. ShoGun

ShoGun Guest

Instead of the name infestor, how's about assimilator?

15. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    No? Im one of those few that like the name so i think it should stay.

16. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    It doesn't assimulate anything tho. The Zerg on a whole do that. The Infester infests.
    Defiler was such a perfect name. It even tied into their actions against Protoss.

de·file 1 (d-fl)
    tr.v. de·filed, de·fil·ing, de·files
    1. To make filthy or dirty; pollute: defile a river with sewage.
    2. To debase the pureness or excellence of; corrupt: a country landscape that was defiled by urban sprawl.
    3. To profane or sully (a reputation, for example).
    4. To make unclean or unfit for ceremonial use; desecrate: defile a temple.
    5. To violate the chastity of.

17. Smokiehunter

Smokiehunter New Member

I love the idea about moving while burrowing. However to make them at all balanced they should have the worst hp my thought would be around the health of an observer. either that or that they would have to sacrifice themselves to infest a building.

18. Overling

Overling New Member

Well, they already seem to take a while to infest a building, and to require only one at a time. And to not have a decent attack. If you take away its health, how on earth will anyone infest a building? It is better to have a unit that needs to be countered and have it nerfed in other ways than one to die for anything. And it seems to be ok as it is.

19. Chax424

Chax424 New Member

A
    The infester's Model

I would first like to state that the concept for the infestor I find very intreaging, I look forward to using this guy (not have it used against me though ;))

But, to be blunt, I'm surprised it design got past...well I'm surprised it was even thought of. It, literally, looks like a purple mound of crap.

Purple? ???

[img width=150 height=155]http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n146/Chax424/infester.gif[/img]

I was just wondering what your thoughts where on this particular unit's model. The model only.

http://www.starcraft2forum.org/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=47&topic=6353.0

That is a thread dedicated to discussion, this is just here for the pole.

20. Darktemplar_L

Darktemplar_L New Member

Bay Area
    I guess it isn't that imbalanced after what you said Prodigal. But still, the guy did say that you could infest any building.