1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Firebat

Discussion in 'Terran' started by DKutrovsky, Jul 9, 2007.

The Firebat

Discussion in 'Terran' started by DKutrovsky, Jul 9, 2007.

1. TerranGod

TerranGod New Member

reapers DO shoot flames
    watch the one with phase cannons
    when the drop ships drop them you can CLEARLY see the reapers shooting out fire and the phase cannons go red

2. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    You're right, you can see it better in the phase cannon section of the leaked vid.

3. FlyingTiger

FlyingTiger New Member

CT
    wow seriously why are people denying that the repears uses a flamethrower. It clearly shoots flames in the HD leaked video. It's so clear! Remy is right with all his arguments like when did they say reapers only uses pistols... GAH

EDIT: ya look at the pictures... no death!

If you look at the official gameplay video, you don't see flames coming out when the reapers were shooting their pistols at the immortals. So no to the flame coming out of the pistol.

You see them die in the official gameplay video... their jetpacks are not exploding like a forward flame, they are twirling around with their jetpacks.

4. [LightMare]

[LightMare] New Member

i don't really think you know what you're talking about... they shoot flamethrowers. maybe not as long as the firebat did, but they certainly do. please check your sources before posting idly like this, and furthermore, embarrassing yourself

5. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    And just in case that somehow, just somehow, there are still people who can't see the flames, here's the muzzle flash for comparison. You can clearly see the difference, and this is just from still frame caps. In motion, it's undeniable.

6. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

yep, they shoot flames its official, kinda weak flames though no?

7. DontHate

DontHate New Member

yea i liked the fbat flames a lot better.

8. UchihaItachi0129

UchihaItachi0129 New Member

welcome to the forums LJYLJ and lol on your icon. pawn rush ftw. get those extra queens :good:

9. TerranGod

TerranGod New Member

they shoot flamethrowers and shoot pistols and they should stim since they are also human

10. ZiiDriX

ZiiDriX New Member

So it will change randomly btw Flame ´n´ bullets or what? 2 - 3 attacks for a marine?

11. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    I can't really understand what you're trying to say ZiiDriX.  But it wouldn't make sense for reapers to switch between attacks randomly.  It is likely that the flamethrower is a researched upgrade.

However, there is another possibility.  It could be that Blizz originally wanted dual pistols for reapers but they scrapped that altogether and gave reapers full time flamethrowers.  That is a possibility now that Blizz confirmed that there won't be photon cannons even though it was in the gameplay demo vid.

12. ShoGun

ShoGun Guest

Actually, in the HD leaked video where the reapers were fighting the soul hunters, just a few of the reapers (1 or 2?) used a flamethrower attack, while everyone else in the back was clearly using their pistols. So I doubt the flamethrower attack is a permanent upgrade that replaces the reaper's pistol attack. Also, why would blizzard replace the dual pistols all together with a flamethrower attack? They might as well just call them fire bats, and state that they were upgraded with jetpacks. But that seems like a bad move to me, I’d rather have something new and exciting to replace the old units for the sequel. Switching firing modes, whether automatically or manually, seems like a good deal to me. Adaptability is one of the terran trademarks after all.

13. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

I agree with shogun on this one, pistol mode & flamethrowed mode ftw

14. GuiMontag

GuiMontag New Member

sorry shogun, but the only weapon used by the reapers in that vid is the flamethrower, there is however a group of marines that come into screen at the same time, maybe thats what you were looking at.

15. sundance kid

sundance kid Guest

I'd like to see a more heavy presence of large Napalm fire bombs for the terrans only, more so than just individual units spraying flame such as firebats. It just strikes me as a weapon that should exist.

I was thinking of Napalm bombs being introduced to terran air units to boost their ground attacks but restrict it in the similar vain that mines were restricted on vultures so it would force players to consider the best time to use this strategy.
    Or restrict the fire bombs to artillery units (similar to Siege tanks).

16. DDDx

DDDx New Member

After reading that i kinda got an idea maby like a naplam nuke tyep wepon and when it hits a base it just keeps on burning, and any unit or buliding that gets hit keeps on buring till it dies, and the napalm would stay on the ground for awhile makeing where it hit unbuildable becuase any one who trys to build would burn and die.

eh sounds kinda stupid but id like to see that.

17. sundance kid

sundance kid Guest

Or another idea would be to fix Napalm bombs to missile turrets, bunkers or the Planetary Fortress building to purge your base (or perimeter) of enemy. It could be like a last line of defence if your base gets overrun. It’ll take out your units but also the enemy.

18. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

OOOOORRRRRR, SCV's could build mines that are like that?

Booby trap anyone?

19. capthavic

capthavic New Member

How about bunkers with spikes that shoot out and skewer melee attackers :D

20. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    While I'm not insisting that the flame thrower is a permanent upgrade or that the pistols have been canned, I think you are mistaken about any reapers using pistols in the leaked video.

I am pretty sure every last one of them used flamethrowers.  The sparks coming off of soul hunters from marine's rifle attacks made it a little deceiving at one point but the first one and the last one you see has nothing else blocking you from seeing flames instead of pistol fire.

You can also see how all the reapers try to swarm the soul hunters instead of just using their pistols at range.  Judging from what we saw in the gameplay demo, I would say in that video the pistols had approximately an attack range of 4.  In the leaked vid, you don't see a single reaper try to attack beyond range 2.  That is another clue that all of them had flamethrowers.

Your reasoning is also flawed.  Excitement is little reason for gameplay changes.  The gameplay as a whole will take precedence over wow factor any day.  Again, I am not saying that this is definitely what happened, but Blizzard can easily have decided that pistol firing reapers are too similar to marines and took out pistols altogether.  Earlier everyone thought photon cannons and phase cannons were either two different structures or upgraded structure, but Blizzard later announced that photon cannon has been canned and there will only be phase cannons in the game.

There is not enough detail as of yet to conclude either way.  All of it are valid possibilities right now.