1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The fate of the Ultralisk...

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by PrivateJoker, Jun 16, 2007.

The fate of the Ultralisk...

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by PrivateJoker, Jun 16, 2007.

1. surr

surr New Member

or bloodlust like in wc3 that makes it attack fast and mabye gory

2. Becka1988

Becka1988 New Member

I like the sentiment guys. I always thought the ultras were a bit underpowered for what they seemed to be. I mean a giant monster alien with enormous razor sharp tusks, stampedeing towards an enemy unit, then instead of slashing them to pieces the Ultralisk stops politely, and begins playfully slapping the enemy units, for minimal damage!!

I think the underwhelming attack power of the Ultra is really would led to its unpopularity!

3. PrivateJoker

PrivateJoker New Member

paragon, is that you?

4. LoserInLosing

LoserInLosing New Member

Ultralisks are weaklings, jus have a couple of stim packs with marines and they are gonnas. The take too long, and way to expensive. Its nearly impossible to even have 5 ultralisks as an army. Just have a couple of air units and slowly blast ultralisks away... making them the most pathetic unit eva. If it was a ranged unit, smaller and definately quicker then its definatley worth it Hope they remove it!

5. Malicus

Malicus New Member

I think the Ultralisk is certainly going to make a return in SC2, perhaps nastier and more evolved. I think they should have the sweep ability to hit several units at once with a single attack, which is what they should have been able to do in the original SC. I also think they should have the ability to charge and trample smaller units. Maybe dealing significant damage to everything in its path, even your own zerglings and units caught in the charge. You would only be able to pull this off while charging into combat, just like the new Zealot charge ability, so you couldnt do it over and over unless you left the melee and charged back into it. I wouldent be surprised at all if they even give it some sort of limited air attack, like a corrosive spit that is effective against light aircraft. That would so just rock!

6. Space Pirate Rojo

Space Pirate Rojo New Member

Canada, eh?
    A couple of stimmed Marines?

Stop hallucinating, Ultralisks tore through Marines.

7. Mike

Mike New Member

How about ability to "mount" , let's say 2, hydralisks on top of an Ultra? Story-wise their weight would be unsignificant for ultralisk, and ability to attach air units would make it ultimate war beast. Mounting would be a little too-warcraftish, so... merging! Select ultralisk, two hydras, wait and poof! We have rokkin' beast which can slice ground units and spit to those pesky fighters. And definitely jumping down the cliffs :)

8. sordid

sordid New Member

One word: balance.

9. MrFrancko

MrFrancko New Member

Ha, the merging idea could be slick but it won't happen. The idea is that you need multiple units in a force in order to defend against any kind of attack. Plus it's pretty far removed from anything seen in SC1.

10. paragon

paragon Guest

Mounting an ultralisk? That doesn't sound good at all. Remember the ultralisk in that SC Ghost cinematic? That thing was massive and was killing tons of marines. They may beef up its damage or HP.

11. Mike

Mike New Member

Yeah, I know but you already have some units that can attack air AND ground (mutas, hydras). And I'm not talking about ultralisk as a hydra replacement - too expensive, besides you won't put a dozen of ultras in your base as mobile anti-flyer unit - they would stuck :). I simply hate Scouts hurting my ultralisks in places where I won't dare send air support - let flyers still kill ultras from the air but at least give the beasts CHANCE to hurt flyers back - that wouldn't be too unbalanced, I imagine. And merging already is here (Archons) - so why not use it ;) ?

Well, give me ultralisks as powerful as the one in that cinematic and I withdraw ALL my postulates :)

12. paragon

paragon Guest

Like giving the melee attack splash damage and the ability to knock infantry sized units over.

13. Mike

Mike New Member

As well as simply striding above those small units - and we have ultralisk the way it should be from the very beginning..

14. AntiTossWeapon

AntiTossWeapon New Member

the ultra should have a devour abiliti,like the kodo in war 3 :D
    or the warstomp, jump on the ground knoking everybody out :)

15. Tarantulo

Tarantulo New Member

Em, of course Ultralisks have some weaknesses in SC1 I mean, when it is crowded and not a lot of space they are kinda useless. But when you have enough space thats when come in handy.

6-8 Ultras are almost unstopable force when they are sent on a base defence to brake it down. And if you have and army of hydralisk following, then it is good bye mumma :)

I hope they will keep the Ultralisk in SC2 and of course some beefing up would do just nice ;)

16. paragon

paragon Guest

course you could just send in guardians to pummel base defenses.

17. WHAT!

WHAT! New Member

why not just give it a stomp ability like the tauren cheiftan from wc 3? stomps ground for 30 damage but it will hit units within 10 feet,add cleave to it and bam ultralisk will destroy marines.

18. paragon

paragon Guest

and make it bigger, like half the size of a colossus.

19. PrivateJoker

PrivateJoker New Member

The Ultralisks Chintonius plating should make it invulernable to piercing range attacks, and reduces normal and explosive attacks by 50%, plus the armor increase of +3. This would make the Ultra a range unit counter, while not be unbalanced, while at the same time diminishing the ability of air to quickly kill them off, while at the same time siege weapons would still be effective in weakening them and they could also be overcome with a sufficient melee unit mix. :powerup:

EDIT: I think Blizzard screwed up the tech position of the Ultra in SC 1, the Ultra should have been available second tier Lair, while gaining access to speed and chintonous upgrades at the Hive level. I think making the Ultra 3rd teir greatly limits the timing of its usefulness.

20. [LightMare]

[LightMare] New Member

well come on. you can't have gryphons or chimaeras or abominations in tier 2, let's get reasonable. this thing is mighty in the right situations. with cleave attack, this thing will be tearing through shrieking marines and bases in no time