1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The fate of the Ultralisk...

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by PrivateJoker, Jun 16, 2007.

The fate of the Ultralisk...

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by PrivateJoker, Jun 16, 2007.

1. overmind

overmind Active Member

New Zealand
    i use them, perhaps because i get sick off rushing.

burrow and that pushing thing are great additions and will porbably make them more used.

2. Earthbjorn

Earthbjorn New Member

Ultralisks were good in Overlord Drops on Island maps etc. But Guardians Mutalisks are prob more effective. But if you want to go for the Overlord drop you got to bring Ultra's cuz you can pack 2 Ultra's per Overlord but only 4 hydras or 8 zerglings. Trying to bring 100 zerglings with 13 overlords is a little cumbersome. I would rather go for 12 Ultralisks in 6 Overlords.

Of Course Zerglings are otherwise much more efficient cost wise.

13 OL + 100 lings = 3800 min
    6 OL + 12 Ultras = 3000 min + 2400 gas

Fully upgraded Zerglings are also the most powerful units for their supply cost.

The 5 most powerful units in the game (neglecting kamikaze, nukes, splash dmg, spells etc.) are

(Archon at 36.5 dps
    Reaver at 35.5 dps
    Ultralisk at 30 dps
    Siege Tank (siege mode) 21.5 dps
    and Zergling at 20.5 dps

(dps = damage per second)

The 5 most powerful units in the game per supply are

Zergling at 41 dps psc
    Firebat at 17.5 dps psc
    Vulture at 15.5 dps psc
    Hydralisk at 15 dps psc
    and Siege Tank (siege mode) 10.5 dps psc

(psc = per supply cost)

I have always wondered at how truly effective lings are despite their fragility.

You only produce Ultralisks if you have want to waste supply and resources fast.

Also to hear that awesome roar at birth.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2008
  3. lurkers_lurk

lurkers_lurk New Member

Red Bluff, CA
    i have seen Ultras several times vs Terran and Protoss, they arent used for damage, they are used to absorb damage. they are to move in first, making the defense auto attack them, then the lings are sent in to do the real damage. Ultras = damage soaker, lings = damage dealer, and its gets even nicer with Dark Swarm.

4. Earthbjorn

Earthbjorn New Member

what If you could mutate Ultralisks and give them addition 100 HP. This option could be repeatable so that spending time and money you could create a virtual Torrasque to be a real damage sponge in tight situations (ie for breaking siege tank defenses)

I'd like to see more 'mutation' options in general coming from the Zerg.

5. lurkers_lurk

lurkers_lurk New Member

Red Bluff, CA
    well right now, the Ultralisk has 600 health, and has a small aoe. making it not so weak to swarming units as before. as well as it has a 2nd attack for buildings making them do somewhere close to 100 points of damage against them.

6. Seyla

Seyla New Member

Phoenix, AZ
    If I had a surplus of resources and felt like devastating an enemy base, which would also be swarmed by smaller units of course, I would throw some Carnifexes in there... I mean Ultralisks. Though yes, most times I wouldn't bother since so I would be more of a damage dealer.

7. GupLup[E]

GupLup[E] New Member

MI
    i have to disagree with you. the ultra is one of the most used units in late game zvt and zvp. they can take alot of rine hits making them extremly effective in zvt. in sc2 I believe there attack is AoE which will make them amazing marine killers. in zvp, they can survive alot of storms and are not completely annahalited by archons(least not as bad as lings), which makes them great in late game. now even in zvt and zvp i still think ling are the most used(obviosly. I don't think many zergs have more ultras in there ultraling mix) cuz there cheaper but ultras are defenatly not a unit that is hardly used.
    edit: I sorta said this in the zvt part probably the main use for the ultra is tanking. with its high armor and high hp, u send em in, the rines/goons/zlots attack em and ur lings rip them limb from limb.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2008
  8. cellulariceteas

cellulariceteas New Member

The problem with the ultralisk was that it was just too expensive to create and they were really slow. If they were to make them a little cheaper and a little faster they would be used alot more often. I hope they don't make them like SC:1 where they are almost never used that would really suck.

9. Vakarak

Vakarak New Member

away
    Actually they fixed those problems with some late patches in Starcraft BroodWar

After
    Ultralisk:
    MINERALS: 400
    GAS : 200
    CONTROL: 4
    UPGRADES: Chitinous Plating(+5 armour), Anabolic Metabolism (increased running speed)

Before all that stuff it was like this i think:
    Ultralisk:
    Minerals: 600
    Gas : 400 (oh my)
    Control : 6
    Upgrades: N/A

Now in SC2 they have more special abilities like they can walk across swarms off zerglings and stuff without being hindered and they do extra damage vs buildings. I USED to build ultralisks as terran killer gods because of how the terran ground units were fragile and had low life slow attacks while the air units had even slower attacks... just more life. But i wonder how they would fare against the new terran armada (that thor thing scares the sh^t out of me)

10. lurkers_lurk

lurkers_lurk New Member

Red Bluff, CA
    after looking at my patchnotes, the only difference between SC1 vanilla 1.0 Ultralisk and SC1 BW current patch Ultralisk, is that Ultralisk got those two upgrades from BW, and their supply was decrease by 2 in both versions in patch 1.08

and they only cost 200 minerals and gas, that was there since vanilla 1.0

Last edited: Nov 21, 2008
  11. cellulariceteas

cellulariceteas New Member

I was thinking more of a 325 mineral range.

12. Vakarak

Vakarak New Member

away
    My bad it really is 200 minerals.

13. Arvendragon

Arvendragon Member

Canada
    Actually, ultralings is one of my most favourite strategies. It owns Terran to no end, especially with Defilers.

If the Ultralisks had a "trample" effect it would be awesome, and more ultralisky (new word!).

Trample - 400 mInerals, 200 gas
    The Ultralisk gains the ability to trample small units, dealing massive damage.

Probably OP.

14. overmind

overmind Active Member

New Zealand
    trample could deal damage to the ultralisk at the same time?

15. I've been thinking the same thing - a trample skill. Though I'm thinking along the lines of a charge/tusk swinging/throw things around skill.

Similar to that SC Ghost video of an ultralisk on the rampage.

The charge would be an activated skill and the ultralisk would then charge a medium distance throwing small/medium units on its path everywhere (they get thrown wherever - off ramps, off cliffs, off to space and certain death...etc.) The rampage would also have the same effect on allied units, also dealing a small amount of damage to all affected.

The thing would then become quite a valuable unit on offensives.

16. ShoGun

ShoGun Guest

I think the ultralisk is fine enough with the ability to walk over small units, have splash damage, do extra damage vs buildings, and able to burrow.

17. Bthammer45

Bthammer45 New Member

Agreed the ability to walk overtop little units is pretty spiffy in itself let alone swipe and added damage versus buildings.:wacko:

18. Vampire

Vampire New Member

Canada
    I kinda hated the fact that when i do ultra/ling my ultras wait till the mass of lings blocking the base died and then it can go in. aka failed attack.

19. Dragon God

Dragon God New Member

Vancouver
    The trample ability would be pretty cool, but than all you'd need is a line of ultras rampaging and then you got and army of very weak infantry units and it would take little more than a group of hydras to clean up ><.
    but the ultra now is fine, Imagine ur expanding your base, after you got all your miners mining, 2 ultras pop up and BOOM base=wasted.
    i'd love the fact that if you buried an army of units under a possible big expansion area, they make they're base and BOOM base=wasted!
    :D

20. overmind

overmind Active Member

New Zealand
    lol banelings would be great for that too, and they come in earlier :D