1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The fate of the Ultralisk...

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by PrivateJoker, Jun 16, 2007.

The fate of the Ultralisk...

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by PrivateJoker, Jun 16, 2007.

1. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Who says the Nydus can't go under the lakes. Although it won't suprise me if Overlord/overseer gets the transport ability back.

@Forsaken, theres that fine line of balance and realism and fitting an Ultralisk into a Nydus Worm sits in between both as you can imagine a Nydus Worm is pretty large its self and you just can't not transport an Ultralisk as that would be imbalanced.
    Ultralisk isn't the greatest unit, Archons are much more convenient and stronger yet they can pretty much be dropped right into your base.

2. DontHate

DontHate New Member

I don't mean lakes, i mean certain maps with space islands, such as this one tileset called space installation, i believe. In many of the other tilesets in SC2 also have these space islands. In the first protoss video, for example. I doubt blizzard will let the nydus worm jump through space and fly in space until, though.

3. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Ah I forgot about space islands, in that case the Overlord will get transport back.

4. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    They probably took that into account already. 10 to 1 they've already made up some bullsh*t story that still sounds real and we actually end up believing in it.

5. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Rofl.
    ''Due to the combination of immense thermal/psionic/kinetic energy in which the Nydus Worm creates due to its original form's attributes before the Zerg assimilated their DNA; these creatures would use a previously unkown method of what is known as a 'organic worm hole' which allowed them to travel across vast distances where they'd normally be unable to travel, e.g. from planet to planet. But because this process used up so much energy and the process was very exotic to the Zerg's genetic make up, the full effects of this ability could not be harnessed.''

6. Gforce

Gforce New Member

sounds reasonable.

7. VodkaChill

VodkaChill New Member

Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    please feel free to remember that Nydus Canals ARE able to transport unit on different platform on space island tileset. Since they are tunnels and not teleporter it would be normal seeing a Nydus worm spawning unit.

Problem is to find a story to make them able to travel to those islands, since they can't cross waterstreams right now, I can hardly imagine them doing it in space. heck, there is ground under water where they can dig... nothing like that in space..

8. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Wait I just remembered a point I made once. Who says they can't simply moved to the enxt platform, the Nydus is obviously long. Justl ike a snake does when it crossed to a fareaway branch.

9. DontHate

DontHate New Member

Well, even though it is long and whatnot, I really doubt blizzard would do that. For example, some of the island expansions can be very separated by space, and seeing a worm that is as long as a quarter of the screen seems kind of gimicky. I don't see why not to add another transporter for the zerg though. The protoss can teleport units and the terran has the unit pods.

10. Elfgard

Elfgard New Member

The Ultralisk is a great unit. It couldn't burrow in SC1?
    It looks really good in StarCraft 2, though! ;)

11. Ayzee

Ayzee New Member

Sweden
    The predecessor to the mutalisk - the mantis shriekers - they could apparently fly in the vacuum of space through "unknown" mechanisms. Also, we know that the zerg are fully capable of warp travel, as can be seen in the cinematic "Invasion of Aiur". So how about...

...Nydus worm's predecessors "the yada-yadas" were space roaming behemoths warping they're way randomly through space until they were detected by the overmind who... well you know the rest.

And BAM! Now they can transport everywhere on platform tilsets.

12. VodkaChill

VodkaChill New Member

Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    @ Ayzee : You are right they CAN say that. But right now Blizzard told us that the Nydus Worm cannot cross water stream.... so they can't reach island.

So to balance things right, they need to make the Nydus Worm unable to cross space so it can't reach Space platform island as well. You can't say yes for one tileset and no for the other.

Unless Zerg gets another transport, unless Blizzard is completely dropping the Island maps for SC2, something that I doubt greatly.

@Elfgard : No they could not borrow in SC1, and I agree with you they really did a good job on that unit graphical revamp.

(Anyone back on topic now?) or should we make a ''Nydus Worm Island can't fly'' tread ^^

13. hydralisk

hydralisk New Member

batavia new york
    lol omg i love this and it sounds so much like something blizzard would come up with. power up for a awesome imagination

14. CannonFodder

CannonFodder New Member

Somewhere near you
    why is everyone talking about nydas worms on a ultralisk thread?
    wtf can we stay on topic?

Anyway ranting put aside [deep sigh...] I think that the ultralisk's head still looks stupid with its oversized head crest. Right now the crest doesn't even look like the rest of the ultralisk's body.

15. Juggernaught131

Juggernaught131 New Member

America
    i think the crest is awesome... it realy shows the powerfull, armored look of the ultralisk, and makes it look like a tricerotops of the alien world. THe only thing i thought when i saw the ultralisk's crest for the first time was, "Crap... is that going to be able to attack air ??? " lol

and dealing with the subject of the nydus worm, (Sorry im interested) maybe they will make an animation when the nydus work breaks through the side of the platform, the flies across the lower part of the platform, and enters the other side. Im not sure that waould be fair, but it sure would make an awesome animation, like the grabboids in Tremors without the second concrete wall there to kill it lol

16. CannonFodder

CannonFodder New Member

Somewhere near you
    While i think the idea of the crest is great, the crest itself is too big and would probably weigh the head down too much in real life. All im saying is that the crest needs to be reduce is size by a small amount, other than that the ultralisk looks ok.

17. Hodl pu

Hodl pu New Member

Haha i doubt they'll do THAT much for the Nydus worm. I'm pretty sure they'll just make up some explanation like... "The Nydus worm has an ability to cut through dimensions and end up at it's destination" thus solving the platform question. =P hahaaahha

And as for the ultralisk. Yes it does look insanely scary, I just miss the old movement animation. Right now, it looks like it's taking it's time to attack an enemy, walking and trodding to it. In SC1, they charged like angry bulls.

18. Hunter

Hunter New Member

Hungary,Székesfehérvár
    Lol I just think they are going to give back the overlord the transport ability, but only for small units. (Which took only 1 place in an Overlord) So Zerg Expansions on island maps should be done, with Zerglings, and Some mutalisks for cover. Cause Zerg is scrwewd in the current build on an island map :) The Nydus worm fears water, just like the sandworms did in the Dune books.

Lol I guess I read too much nowadays

19. DontHate

DontHate New Member

I think the ultralisk's "crest" is pretty awesome. Very intimidating and practical to boot. I also like the special headbutt siege attack. I'm not sure how the animation would look, though.

20. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    I've got a few problems with the Ultralisk model at the moment.
    First off, the crest. It looks far too much like a display crest and not like the headplate that the old Ultralisk had. The new one looks too mammalian or reptilian and makes it look like a Torosaurus, not like the gargantuan insectoid behemoth that it should. The old headplate, as well as the StarCraft:Ghost one, looked like it was part of the carapace, like a beetle's prothorax, which was so much better and would make it fit in with the swarm a whole lot more.
    Second of all, the four scythes. The four scythes look far too cumbersome and unnatural. This isn't what Zerg are supposed to be like. Instead, they're supposed to be nimble and natural. For now, I say limit the Ultralisk to two scythes. If Blizzard manages to make the four scythes look good, I'd be all for them, but at the moment they're way to cumbersome.
    Lastly, the thorns. Its whole body looks like it's covered in thick sturdy thorns. I'm not saying that this is a bad thing, but it's been really overdone.