1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The fate of the Ultralisk...

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by PrivateJoker, Jun 16, 2007.

The fate of the Ultralisk...

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by PrivateJoker, Jun 16, 2007.

1. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    It looks damn awesome for one thing. It also gives them a huge advantage when planning ambushes. I'd be scared s*itless if a Ultra popped out of the ground in front of me.

How do you think Ultras' attacking multiple targets is going to affect the game?

2. Itsmyship

Itsmyship New Member

Where only cool people live... So Cal!
    The multiple attack is going to be interesting. It'll not only make it a meat shield, it'll make it a real shock unit. A few of those will be able to clear out an expansion fairly quickly.

How expensive you think it'll be?

3. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    A little more expensive than before. It's got burrow and multiple attacks, so it should be more expensive.

4. ShdwyTemplar

ShdwyTemplar New Member

Tacoma, Washington
    I think all the new additions to it are perfect for it. Instead of being just a meat tank like before but now a deadly ambusher. Imagine walking through a field with about 30 Marines..... all of a sudden 10 Ultralisk break out of the ground and Zerglings swarm in. This will be awesome.

5. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    I like how they removed its speed to allow room for burrowing and an AoE melee attack.

6. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    Though the ability to hide your whole Zerg army sounds good, realistically speaking, the Ultra shouldn't be able to burrow because of its size and blades. It doesn't even have the necessary claws to burrow itself, it's got hooves.

As for its ability to attack multiple targets, I don't know where you got that from but it sounds logical and will make it more useful, I like it.

7. Ayzee

Ayzee New Member

Sweden
    @kuvasz

If you look at the video where the vikings and marines get ambushed by the ultras you'll notice that the top-left ultra kills the first viking in seven swipes but the second one in only three swipes. I guess this indicates that the ultra did "splash" to the second viking while attacking the first.

I could be wrong as I only watched the video once from work.. but oh well. It's a theory.

8. AcE_01

AcE_01 Active Member

Australia
    ^
    yeah i saw one of the ultras did a swipe and 2 marines got chopped in half.

9. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    If a Nydus Worm can, I see no problem with the Ultralisk doing it. Also everything can't have solid lore to it or the game becomes bland.

10. WuHT

WuHT New Member

Yes there is definitely 2ndary cleave damage from the ultralisk. Having 2 pairs of pincer blades was the most obvious "evolutionary step" for the ultralisk, but i do not like how far the blades stick out (maybe neccessary as an indicator to the splash radius)..it looks cumbersome in an attack.

--
    However, come expansion time, i would not be surprised if ultralisk gained a speed boost.

11. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    I think it already has a speed boost. In one of the video clips it ran around real slow, but in another clip a bunch of em charged some enemies notably faster.

12. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    At least it has a AoE or splash damage attack now, recording to some posts (blizzard said it too, as far as i remember), so its good vs marines etc.

13. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    What if the splash was an upgrade? It would make all the Ultras evolve the second pair of claws.

14. WuHT

WuHT New Member

I've heard rumblings of ultralisk being able to step over units ( but i cannot find the source my self) and this would be a HUGE buff to ultralisk if possible. Especially if stepping over enemy light units (ie zealots or marines) means that ultralisk will be able to cream siege tanks. Somehow the slow effects of mauraders better be able to compensate for this!

15. Star-Crap

Star-Crap Guest

my 2 cents...

I love the ultralisk!
    Intimidating,Fearsome,AOE,Burrow!

i didnt use it much in sc1 but now its gonna be a must.

16. WuHT

WuHT New Member

Edited out quotes. Please read the forum rules and refrain from quoting unnecessarily.

i'm happy if the ultralisk can hide smaller units under it (kinda like using a floating terran building) forcing you to destroy the ultralisk or make it move (unless u got AoE) before u can get to a primary target.

17. Spacechick

Spacechick New Member

I dont think hiding a zergling under a ultralisk is a good idea

18. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    That could be easily abused by hiding many ranged units under it, forcing them to kill the Ultra first. On a side note, I love how big the Ultra is now. It's much more enormous and intimidating. It actually screams, I'm a freakin' gigantic beast! Fear me!

19. Overling

Overling New Member

Well, technically one could spawn a cloud of Overlords (although it would cost lots of minerals) and the enemy wouldn't Focus-fire correctly by having his sight blocked by Ovies! lol They don't cost food and fly, meaning you could spawn how many you like, having enough minerals that is.

20. WuHT

WuHT New Member

yep..but when u are against overlords covering your ground troops, you might as well auto attack since overlords wont' be acquired first.

If ultralisk were acquired first as a primary target... as well as covering ranged damage dealers (like burrowed lurkers or hyrdas) then the zerg's got a new cheesy battle advantage.