1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The fate of the Ultralisk...

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by PrivateJoker, Jun 16, 2007.

The fate of the Ultralisk...

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by PrivateJoker, Jun 16, 2007.

1. Ych

Ych New Member

After the showcase of the new Terran unit/mechanic, I think that the Ultralisk is going to be totally revamped. As for any ideas, I don't have any right now because I was thinking of the Ultralisk to work kind of like the Viking unit for the Terran, in that it can morph between 2 modes. But then, Blizzard is trying to make each race/mechanic unique to itz own race. So I don't think Ultralisk will get something like that. So as of now, I really don't know what the revamped Ultralisk is going to look like.

2. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    SCVs deal damage in darkswarm AFAIK.

And I really don't want ultras, I want something new.

3. PowerkickasS

PowerkickasS New Member

AFAIK?

4. UchihaItachi0129

UchihaItachi0129 New Member

umm i'm pretty sure sieged siege tanks can deal dark swarm. maybe only too buildings though o_O. i play random unit battle A LOT and whenever i get a defiler i always plague+swarm their base (pylon...well in come other version it isnt a pylon but that's not the point) and seiged tank do deal damage to the pylon. i'm not 100% sure that they actually can 1) it's in ums they can make triggers 2) there may have been other units dealing the damage 3) i could have imagined this all up. though i do remember something like this.

for those of you thinking the plague was doing the damage...i'm pretty sure if the life drops down by more than 1-5 each second. it's not the plague. i'll test it out later.

5. burkid

burkid New Member

what he meant is only the splash will hit under darkswarm, so units wont get directly hit by the tanks attack.

6. PowerkickasS

PowerkickasS New Member

omg dejavu. same argument, different website

here's a crack down of dark swarm:
    -all ground units inside dark swarm cannot get directly hit by any ranged attacks from anywhere
    -all ground units can get splashed, depending on the enemy unit. usually this is always the case
    -lurkers, reavers, mines and firebats' main attack, melee or not, IS a splash weapon itself so dark swarm wouldnt affect the damage these units are suppose to deal to the ground units inside it
    -burrowed units can avoid all splash damage whilst inside a swarm except against from the ones above

7. ShoGun

ShoGun Guest

Ultralisks only protect units from splash by absorbing the full splash radius and damage 'IF THEY ARE FIRST INITIALLY ATTACKED' to counter your other claim. To counter this one I could say that ultras under dark swarm could still be hit by splash. But I think you misunderstood me, maybe I wasn't descriptive enough. I meant that the ultras would not shelter small zerg units under them from damage, they could protect them from splash by absorbing it all, but they have to be actually attacked by the unit doing the splash damage. So lets say if a hydralisk is attack by a siege tank in siege mode, and there is an ultralisk over it, all units under the ultra would still be affected by the splash.

Oh, and to the gentleman who explained the mechanics of dark swarm to me, that isn't necessary. I've played StarCraft for years, and even participated in tournaments with cash prizes, so I know a lot about the game. But thanks anyways ^_^

8. BaneOfHumanity

BaneOfHumanity New Member

I dont know if this was said or not...but I think it would be interesting to give the ultra an anti-air ability...

like the seige tanks in WC3

That might make them more useful....though I think they need to lower the price...in SC they are way to exspendsive considering how limited they are...

9. UchihaItachi0129

UchihaItachi0129 New Member

ultras attacking air? good luck with the animation of that.

10. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    ShoGun I'm not sure about the exact details to the shielding ultra idea you have in mind.  But if the units under take splash/damage/spells it's worse than before, and if the ultra shields the units under it from splash/damage/spells then it will be OP in darkswarm situations. That's what I think.

11. BaneOfHumanity

BaneOfHumanity New Member

It can have like a gland that you can upgrade so its spits acid like a hydra against air units...you could have like three huge balls of acid come out of the ultra's back.....I think it would make them more versatile and people might be willing to purchase them..

just like the seige tank in WC3 FT...

12. Darkreaver

Darkreaver New Member

Or the Ultralisk could just jump around waving its gigantic sized arms around... LOL :good:

but realistically, the ultralisk seems like its gonna be gone for sc2

13. Ych

Ych New Member

If the Ultralisk is really going to get axed, I'm sure Blizzard will replace another unit that is Bigger, Badder, and cooler unit than the Ultralisk.

Before the showcase of Terran, most people wanted the Goliaths to return. But after the showcase and with the introduction to Thor and Vikings, almost everyone felt that if those 2 were infact be in the game, then there is no need for the Goliaths to return simply because the Thor and Vikings are bigger, badder, and cooler then the Goliaths.

Lets hope Blizzard keep this trends if they are really going to axe the Ultralisk. :)

14. kehmdaddy

kehmdaddy New Member

Although it's not all that useful, I always kind of considered the Ultralisk one of the faces of the Zerg. I kind of felt the same for the Terran Goliath, but Blizzard changed them up and revamped them, making them the Viking, so I wouldn't be surprised if they acted similarly for the Ultralisk, as Ych9 said. I think whatever replaces the Ultralisk, or is the new Ultralisk, is going to be a simply awesome unit- the culmination of Zerg evolution. I'm hoping for a behemoth creature with clawed limbs all over it and a giant gaping maw with glowing Red eyes. That wasn't the greatest description of the vision I have in my head, but I had to try haha.

15. Cybran Seratuhl

Cybran Seratuhl New Member

I hope they make a revamped version of the Ultralisk......maybe he might:

- Have the ability to spit acid on air units

- Have the ability to devour enemy and allied units to restore health

- Have a spiked carapace that deals damage during melee combat

- Be bigger with more health

Just opinions

16. Lord David

Lord David New Member

Melbourne, Australian Continent, Earth, Sector 001
    I'd agree with points 3 and 4. There's no need for them to be able to attack air, so long as there's another Zerg unit for anti-air support (other than the Hydralisk), then it would be fine, as for the devour ability, it just seems too "Warcraft" and a cheap attempt to bring Warcraft III players into Starcraft II.

The spiked carapace seems alright, but then again they are already melee combat units, the biggerness is somewhat of a concern, but they definitely could use more HP.

17. TheFearless

TheFearless New Member

ultralisk is one of the best land unit combined with zergling and dark swarm ftw, anyways hoe they nerf the cost for the ultralisk

18. BoydofZINJ

BoydofZINJ New Member

The main problem with ultralisk is size! have you ever tried to move a full group of ultras down a ramp? Even a small one. Half of them fgo the wrong way. You spend so much time moving them the enemy can react 5 different times. A single ultra is nice. A group with the AI is silly and pretty much impossible to move except as a drop and you just kind of ignore them type unit while you micro the zerglings and hydras. When ever I do a combat drop, I try to put in a few ultras. I normally just let them rampage and if i have time micro them - but let my other units be the true micro units and the ultras the distraction.

19. ShdwyTemplar

ShdwyTemplar New Member

Tacoma, Washington
    As with the Other parts of the Zerg Swarm the Ultralisk will have evolved as well and with that evolution comes the possibility that the Ultralisk could have all these effects and more. Though, thinking of the Ultralisk in functionality it was a as Blizzard has put it Heavy Assault Units. Therefore they most likely will be given a function that makes them have a stronger resistance to all attacks for a duration of time and a revamped model in some way to be a "true" base demolisher that can really tank a good amount of damage. Just adding this in as a side note. Continue on. I'm loving the ideas of this Thread btw. ;D -Shdwy Out.

20. BoydofZINJ

BoydofZINJ New Member

The ultras biggest problem was itself. The AI and the inability to move more than a few down ANY path that was not wide open. I often found myself at a disadvantage when I can out porduce Terrans in siege tanks vs Ultras but the siege tanks can coordinate much better and a group of 12 can fire on several single targets while a group of 4 ultras do have problems with 1 target and a group of 12 is impossibly to move and corrdiante as effectively.