1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The fate of the Ultralisk...

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by PrivateJoker, Jun 16, 2007.

The fate of the Ultralisk...

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by PrivateJoker, Jun 16, 2007.

1. PowerkickasS

PowerkickasS New Member

mc2 read their previous posts cause atm you're lost on what they're talking about :p

2. UchihaItachi0129

UchihaItachi0129 New Member

it's godzilla all over again :D

hmmm i've already said this but NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOo my ultralisks T_T damn you blizzard DAMN YOU >< :upset: :mad: :bad: :( :no: damn you ><

3. DontHate

DontHate New Member

splash can still hit anything in a ds. Not sure why tho.

4. PowerkickasS

PowerkickasS New Member

dark swarm doesnt cancel range damage
    dark swarm only makes range attacks miss
    missed splash attacks still splash o_O

5. FlyingTiger

FlyingTiger New Member

CT
    thats right... it makes range attacks miss and air attacks miss. I dunno about the splash damage, but powerkickass is prolly right.

6. TerranGod

TerranGod New Member

bah...ultralisk + dark swarm is pwnage no doubt
    in sc2 i think they should be stronger, and less stupider...cause in sc they were...dum as dragoons

7. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    Because now you have two levels of filters, or damage buffer.

First, you block out all direct range attacks with the darkswarm.  Traditionally you would use splash damage and spells do counter this, but with the ultra idea, you can't even touch the underlying units before you get rid of the ultras.  And even after you do finally kill the ultras, you're still left with the other units under darkswarm in full health.

Basically even melee can't do a thing because lurkers now have complete damage protection.

You have to realize you're taking away the weaknesses of the lesser units, which have very high damage output, by giving them a double layer of protective buffer.  They won't just be sitting there, they will be doing damage while you can take out the ultras under the dark swarm, then the units under the ultras under the darkswarm.

And about splash under darkswarm, the splash portion of ranged damage is still applied AFAIK.

8. PowerkickasS

PowerkickasS New Member

i dont see the OP in that

9. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    Most things Terran are useless against darkswarm because they are all ranged.  The only things a Terran can do to counter darkswarm is bat splash, tank splash, and spells.

But now you're throwing a kink in the system.  The Terran can't even resort to the few methods that they have in order to deal damage to units in darkswarm.  They can only use those methods to try to kill off ultras, which isn't all that great when it counts, because that's what ultras were made to withstand.

Cracklings, hydras, and lurks do excellent damage.  Offensively, they are all power houses.  With the damage shielding ultra idea, it will mean that Terrans can't do anything to stop a Zerg offense late game.  Because it won't matter what Terrans do, a Zerg is almost guaranteed to be able to steadily deal heavy damage.

I've said this elsewhere, but let me explain what OP is.  Something is OP when it generally has a high success rate, and requires a much greater effort to counter/stop it than its original execution.  This is true for almost all games with competitive multiplayer content.

10. DontHate

DontHate New Member

what, what?!!? I thought melee could hit things in DS. i'm not a zerg player so sorry if i'm wrong.

11. burkid

burkid New Member

it can. what remy is saying is terran has no melee units, so they only have splash attacks to hit units under darkswarm.

12. DontHate

DontHate New Member

I thought firebats were melee, well they are splash too so, ah i donno.

13. burkid

burkid New Member

no, firebats have a range (2 i think) its just so short that it looks like melee. its the splash that lets them hit in darkswarm

14. TerranGod

TerranGod New Member

they are still counted as melee
    i just tried it out with my bro it works
    1 fire vs 1 hydra
    the hydra got hit

15. burkid

burkid New Member

the hydra got hit by the splash, the firebat is not melee.you can have a firebat hitting a melee unit from just outside melee range. try rushing a zealot at a firebat. the zealot will have to move a bit further before it can attack.
    remy, back me up on this.

16. Star-Crap

Star-Crap Guest

im not remy but this cat knows wut hes talking about. Firebat anit melee

17. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    TOTAL EDIT: It is as Burkid, firebats are range 2 concussive splash. However...

I originally posted something else, but after some consideration, I think firebats might infact be "ranged melee."

I always just had the various splash units in the game in mind when considering what could hit me in darkswarm. Naturally I've always just classified bats as ranged splash cuz of their range of 2. But if you think about it, sieged tanks actually can't deal damage to lone targets in dark swarm like bats, so the SC must treat bat's flame attack as melee. It only makes sense that way.

So if you think about it, it's really both range and melee. Or, ranged melee.

But anyway, bats are useless in the damage shielding ultralisk idea under darkswarm scenario. They do pathetic 25% concussive damage vs ultras, and lurks under the ultras would wipe them clean.

18. PowerkickasS

PowerkickasS New Member

lol........no
    the only thing to counter swarm is running

19. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    There is also spider mines but not really viable.  Making vultures that late in the game just for a chance at planting 3 mines per vulture is not that good of an idea against the detectors-galore-race.

And there is SCVs, but that's even worse.

20. PowerkickasS

PowerkickasS New Member

actually i dont think scvs can hit in dark swarm either (as experienced while playing one of those crash maps lol). hey spider mines could work very nice!                              once