1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The fate of the Ultralisk...

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by PrivateJoker, Jun 16, 2007.

The fate of the Ultralisk...

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by PrivateJoker, Jun 16, 2007.

1. ShoGun

ShoGun Guest

My thoughts for the Ultralisk:
    • Graphic change, and a name change, but similar purpose
    • Should be able to move over smaller units.
    • Should have an AoE attack against small ground units.
    • Should have no AoE against large units and buildings, but deal more damage to them.
    • Should not be able to move up and down cliffs (let the nydus worm do it's job, please! Plus, that would dismay the Zerg's basic strategy in more ways then one.)
    • No trample ability, the AoE attack is good enough.
    • No extra abilities where you have to click, that means more micro, micro for zerg = bad.
    • To give the new ultralisk a new concept, perhaps it should have a passive ability that spawns 2 or more 'lesser' ultralisks when it is killed.
    • Should cost slightly less in resources
    • Upgrades should include speed bonus, and an AoE bonus (longer tusks, blades, etc.)

:thumbup:

*edit* Oh, forgot armor bonus for upgrades.

2. josh

josh New Member

In Our House
    ultralisks with burrow? nahh its impossible. if you even base it in real life. he would dig a really big hole, an obvious hole to be exact. but it will be real good if they have boomerang claws. well, that's just me.

3. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    Actually, in any situation where you have the option to send in lings first and have them survive to do damage, you don't need to tech ultras. It is only when lings can't be sent in to reach their targets, that a Zerg player needs to tech ultras to have them head the assault.

There is no secretly wonderful use of ultras that make them a lovely choice. Ultras just suck.

4. GuiMontag

GuiMontag New Member

still, people have no idea how to use them effectively, they have the most hp out of all the ground units and yet people only use them in situations where there is enough firepower to get them killed easily...

5. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    There is no other use for ultras. They are the worst offensive option as far as damage output vs tech/resource/food req goes.

6. UchihaItachi0129

UchihaItachi0129 New Member

>< i loved the ultras T_T but then again i knew how to use them. so i'll miss them. i might have to alter some strategies.
    R.I.P.
    Ultralisk
    You had a good run. (literally) I'll miss you T_T

7. josh

josh New Member

In Our House
    12 ultralisk can in fact destroy a whole enemy base even when there are air units on the way. its a real risk and real expensive but it's most effective.

8. UchihaItachi0129

UchihaItachi0129 New Member

i hope they make a unit that kinda acts like the ultralisk. i really liked them. they were awesome ^^ just send in 24 and the opponent just leaves XD unless it's terran in which case they just lift ><

9. Ych

Ych New Member

If the Ultralisk are going to get axed, I'm sure Blizzard will make another unit that has a similiar role, but with a much meaner and cooler look to it. So I wouldn't be too worried about this.

Edited out quotes. Please read the forum rules and refrain from quoting unnecessarily.

10. ShoGun

ShoGun Guest

The more I think about it, the more I believe all that ultralisks really need is the ability to walk over small units. Lets say if an enemy Terran has created a tough defensive barrication at a choke point, and it is impossible for your zerglings or other smaller units to survive long enough to deal damage. That’s your cue to start sending in ultralisks (or the like). The ultras could do heavy damage to single targets, and with the ability to walk over smaller units, they could reach the target easier; all they have to do is survive long enough to destroy the frontline barrication, and let the little guys finish the rest. So really, all the ultras need is more maneuverability, and expendability, and they can be VERY useful.

11. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    If "walking over" means that ultras can occupy the same ground space as other ground units, overlapping them like air units do, then it could increase the effectiveness of ultras. Better maneuverability would definitely help.

However, there is something else you must consider, that is whether or not ultras will "shield" the other units under them from harm. If it is only an improvement in maneuverability, and units under it still suffer damage, then it is not necessarily better.

Having ultras stack on top of your other ground units will actually make you suffer more damage from splash attacks and spells. With psi storm, the walking over doesn't help, your other units will still die. The large size of ultras that used to warrant the need to cast more number of storms is no more because now you can still hit as many units as you could before AND the ultra.

Instead of tanking siege tank fire, the ultras will eat the hits but all the units under and around it will still eat the splash, increasing the number of units from that which would normally suffer damage. And since ultras can't burrow, it will be even worse in the case of irradiate, ultras will be prime targets as they will ensure the highest number of effected units on the ground.

You could micro to counter some of that, but in that case, not only is it not an improvement, it will make the ultra even worse. But if you do go with ultras shielding damage for units under it, you have to consider the crazy scenario with units under ultras and ultras under darkswarm.

That is not to say that Blizzard can't make "walk over" work if they wanted to, but it really won't be the simple solution that will make ultras a lovely choice in one move.

12. ShoGun

ShoGun Guest

Unless ultralisks could act like a building, absorbing the full radius of a splash attack so that no other unit around the ultralisk would be harmed. :thumbup:

13. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    In that case ultras under darkswarm would most likely be quite overpowered and imbalanced.

14. kingsky123

kingsky123 New Member

you know what ? give ultralisks flight and whala :p

15. PowerkickasS

PowerkickasS New Member

i dunno why people diss ultralisks so badly :( i love em and their max 6 armor ^_^ gg unupgraded zealots and marines

16. DontHate

DontHate New Member

first of all, the ultralisk is pretty bulky so it has a hard time getting to fight, such as the goon. Also, it has lower damage and finnaly, who would have unupgraded zealots and marines when you can get ultralisks?

17. PowerkickasS

PowerkickasS New Member

i think i might still have the replay. 3v3bgh everyone totally ignored me while i put full resources on carapace upgrades first then tech. my neighboring terran player only had big masses of m&m&f w/o engibay and right when he was attacking he found 2 ultralisks to be abit much to handle :D (though i think my team still lost anyways :()

but i was kinda half joking :p

Edited out quotes. Please read the forum rules and refrain from quoting unnecessarily.

18. marinepower

marinepower New Member

Fairfax
    If amassed similarly to BC's or even guardians, 12 ultras can destroy a base extremely easily, even if it's teaming with air. +5 armor is quite a lot, and if your opponent (like me) decides to go mass infantry, the most an ultra can take is 3 damage from a marine while killing it in 2 hits. not bad.

I really like the idea of an ultra being able to trample other units lol, it kinda reminds me of a train or a snowplow.
    Guy:GET OFF THE ROAD!
    Ultra:Stomps on your brand new car, allowing you just enough time to run away before it explodes.
    Guy: dang women drivers... ;D 8)

19. ShoGun

ShoGun Guest

How so?

20. mc2

mc2 New Member

If a Dark Swarm spell is casted over a group of units, ranged units' attack will not do any damage to any unit that's inside the spell. Only melee units will do damage to units inside the spell.

The mechanics of dark swarm is that ranged unit cannot see anything inside the spell, so all of their attacks would miss its target. But since melee attacks is a very small distance from the enemy, the units can see its target so it will do damage

So in the ultralisk's case, a dark swarm casted over the ultralisks mean all ranged units like BCs, Carriers, Tanks, Dragoons, Hydralisks, static defence will not do any damage when attacking the ultras. But since Ultralisks are melee, they will rip damage. So they can be overpowered, especially when coupled with zerglings.