1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The fate of the Defiler?

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Ling Rusher, Jul 21, 2007.

The fate of the Defiler?

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Ling Rusher, Jul 21, 2007.

1. CodyFallsForth

CodyFallsForth New Member

I use drones the most :)

2. SirBaron

SirBaron New Member

Well, aside Drones (and Overlords...)

3. CodyFallsForth

CodyFallsForth New Member

:D yeah.

But i see what you're saying. Hydras used with defilers and lings are the best combination if used correctly.

4. ShoGun

ShoGun Guest

Get rid of the defiler; replace it with something else that fits with the Zerg's new strategies. I’d rather see new units, then old ones with the same or similar abilities.

5. opm

opm New Member

NYC
    i have to generally agree. i'd be disappointed if all the other races had so much design effort invested and zerg was just the same old. I think we need to retain the abilities, but yet the units i have a feeling will have to change. How drastic of a change is the question.

I know right now people are really high on the fact that blizzard is watching, but personally I'd rather they take an independent approach. They're creativity is what I pay for, not the input of the community. I think the community approach, is worthwhile in polishing the game, but I'd rather they take my comments on how to improve the race, rather than take my ideas for new units.

6. Cerebrate

Cerebrate New Member

Defiler is very underused unit of Zerg swarm.

It's a shame, Defiler really is awesome unit that has some game breaking abilitys that helps zerg considerably, well placed Dark swarms wins battles.

But Defiler is quite pain in ass to get on field I have to admit. Starcraft is fast paced game and melee games tend to end quite fast. Defiler requires pretty much all tech before it can be created, I guess most players will just forget it or don't bother to tech it.

I hope it stays but it should be make little easier to obtain.

7. TidalSpiral

TidalSpiral New Member

I'm pretty sure it's going to return, just it might have a name and body change. So far none of the SC2 units look like they are defenseless (still have to see about Observers and HT) so maybe Defilers will become Desecrators or something and be able to bite. With a shell. :D There I go with unit ideas again.

Totally agree with OPM - I'm buying because I know Blizzard creates badass games, with tweaking help from the community so that it's widely balanced. I don't want to see anything from SC1 that is completely the same, besides basic mechanics like resource gathering and building. Yeah some units were awesome but if there is no extra kick from the first game then it's a waste of a unit slot in my opinion.

8. SirBaron

SirBaron New Member

Yeah, but if you manage to stay alive long enough to build Defilers, coupled up with craploads of 'lings and hydras, it's pretty much game over (Consume F T W...)

9. xasterothx

xasterothx New Member

i hope they change the looks of it...or move on the role to other unit

10. BoydofZINJ

BoydofZINJ New Member

My favorite ability was the plague. In a recent battle, I started to replay SC and BW recently, I was being over whelmed by terran tank rush. I suicide charged a Defiler and swarm the tighly packed tanks. After about a minute i charged some zergings in line abreast formation. A few made them and made short work of the 1 hp tanks.

11. kehmdaddy

kehmdaddy New Member

If they change the name and body, then it's not really a defiler anymore, is it? Defilers are cool, I think they definitely need to look more fearsome like their portrait. Right now they're big, wriggling silverfish. And those things creep me out, but just because they're so gross and uuuugly. I think it would be cool if they could either bite or maybe even spit the ensnare goo as an attack, although it would only affect one target and not splash all over a whole army. That way a pretty useless Queen spell returns as a useful and easier to use ability. You think that would be balanced? It wouldn't have to do damage, although they could make it do a little bit if they chose to.

12. ShdwyTemplar

ShdwyTemplar New Member

Tacoma, Washington
    With the evolution of the Zerg Swarm comes multiple branches and strains of evolving DNA with every Larvae Morphed. So it only makes sense the Deflier will be back in one form or Another resembling the old form. Although, Blizzard has stated in its Lore the Deflier was 1. A Viral Shock Trooper and 2. Rarely seen in combat as it was a unique creature. So making sense by that standpoint we will most likely be seeing a unit that has great support value as the Zergs equivalent of Biological Warfare on the other races.
    The Queen was a matriarch that attended the Larvae as was the Overlord(Not sure why I put Overlord in maybe you can make sense of that), so, the Queen's small arsenal of spells is not in any way a Viral Shock Trooper and this would not be a valid place to displace the defilers value as it purpose was one that is totally different than the defiler. A new Zerg Viral Shock Trooper would not be as effective at this capability either as the Deflier uses metasynaptic (Whatever the hell that means, lol its SC they can make up this concept.) energies it generates to create the Volatile Toxins and Cancerous Gases.
    In conclusion the Deflier will most likely be appearing in a Cancerous Cell induced Madness that it seems to have about it, but on steroids. ;D
    Information on Deflier gathered from http://www.battle.net/scc/zerg/
    Anyway thats it for my post. -Shdwy Out