1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Corrupters.

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by ced, Mar 10, 2008.

The Corrupters.

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by ced, Mar 10, 2008.

1. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    I thought they were early tier.
    Anyway, they've got a fairly good ability to harass. Having an increased regeneration will mean that they can get back up to full strength much quicker than other units, reducing their downtime between raids. With other units, you'd have to wait a fair while before they're fit enough to raid again. To complement the Roaches reduced downtime rate, despite what Blizzard has said already, I reckon they should be the Zerg's cliff walkers/jumpers.
    How do you know that they have low damage? Also, their ability to tank depends on their regeneration rate, not to mention that it isn't that they need powerful attacks to take them down, they just need constant, sustained fire.
    Making the Corrupter effective against Colossus won't remove the need for Roaches, not that there is a big need to begin with. First, Colossi seem to be the units that have the damage to take down Roaches, and second, Corrupters will still be able to attack Colossi, they just might not be able to Corrupt it, but apart from them, there are still Mutalisks and Guardians that will be effective against Colossi.

2. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Jon confirmed that in the build he played at Blizzard the Colossus was corruptable.

3. Space Pirate Rojo

Space Pirate Rojo New Member

Canada, eh?
    Infested Colossi?

I wonder if they shot like... beams of acid.

4. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Corruped not infested. It will probably shoot glaive wurms.

5. Space Pirate Rojo

Space Pirate Rojo New Member

Canada, eh?
    My bad. I need to get my SC2 lingo brushed up.

6. ekulio

ekulio New Member

I stated this in the other thread already but what would you guys think about corrupted units turning into suicide flyers (like scourge)? IMBA? I think it's logical lore-wise, and the effect would be much more desirable. I hate spending money on suicide units, but would have no problem turning the enemy's flyers into suicide units.

Another question: what happens when corrupters corrupt zerg flyers?

7. SCunite

SCunite New Member

well scourges and infested terran were incredibly effective in starcraft I.

8. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    I wouldn't say that Infested Terran were incredibly effective in StarCraft1, but Scourges were. Infested Terran were the hardest unit to obtain, costly, had a long build time and were easily shot down. The only reason I Infested Command Centres was to take them down quicker, not to get Infested Marines. Scourges on the other hand were easy to obtain, quick to make, relatively cheap, fast and powerful, but I don't think Corrupted units should have their explosive suicide attack. It wouldn't work. The only way they might be able to get it to work would be if they just used the ship ram others, destroying itself in the process, and its target as well if the target is smaller than the Corrupted ship.

9. Zhar

Zhar New Member

If that big pink sphere was removed from the middle of it, then that would be one of the coolest looking units in the game. Maybe they could team-colour the fangs or the ends of the tentacles ?

10. ZeR[g]LiNg

ZeR[g]LiNg New Member

I don't tihnk the sphere is that bad at all...

11. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    It just looks like an enigmatic organ. Not too much is known about any Zerg creatures, so we can expect to see units like this. I think it fits in extremely well. Besides, what would you want to replace it with?

12. Rambling

Rambling New Member

I dunno, suicide seems more like a job for banelings... Sux to be a baneling I guess?

13. ekulio

ekulio New Member

But banelings can't fly. it's different.

I'm fine with that. It's about what I'm going for.

I don't mind the sphere either. it's like the gas sacs in the overlord to make them float.

14. ZeR[g]LiNg

ZeR[g]LiNg New Member

I wonder if all enemy units automatically attack the corrupted units? Because that's what it looked like in the video. That'd be cool, so the enmy has to micro or your corrupters will just corrupt your army without any trouble from the actual units.

15. ced

ced New Member

Canada
    If you watch the high def video. You can see the corrupted ships rapidly firing what looked like wurm glaives. I'm assuming that the Terran units fired on the corrupted units since they probably have less HP (they had to be brought to [near?] death for corruption), and attack with a high rate of fire which leads me to believe that they deal significant damage. I've read that the corrupted units are stationary and eventually die on their own (timer? depleting life over time?).

I really should update the OP. Sorry about that.

16. VodkaChill

VodkaChill New Member

Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    The reason why the Vikings attacked the Corrupted BC is , since it is now under control of enemy force they attack them on sight, and were closer than the corruptor themselves. So like in SC one, first come, first shoot regardless of their current HP.

17. ced

ced New Member

Canada
    They did take quite a few hits before going down. So you are probably right.

18. VodkaChill

VodkaChill New Member

Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    As for the appearance of the Corruptor I think it's one of my favorite new unit. It looks like smaller motherbrain from earlier Metroid game titles. So pink is really not a problem, the tentacles waving behind them looks really nice. The way they fly like shark swim makes him look like a deadly predator stalking it's prey.

I really love everything about that unit. The corruption (still not sure how it works) is a nice idea, the bonus is not too great especially if they die after a certain amount of time. The graphic of the corruption is good. I'd Power-Up the blizzard conceptor of that unit anytime :)

19. Smokiehunter

Smokiehunter New Member

My only problem with the corrupter (other than its look) is that what do you do when you find another fleet of corrupters do you just start to trade units?

20. ced

ced New Member

Canada
    Yeah like all mirror battles. Whoever micros better and focuses fire more will win out.

I doubt you can corrupt an already corrupted unit, and it looks like corrupted units deal straight damage (Glaive Wurms), not corrupting damage like the Corrupters. So it won't be a perpetual fight if that's what you mean.