1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Corrupters.

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by ced, Mar 10, 2008.

The Corrupters.

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by ced, Mar 10, 2008.

1. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Other teams will still get air units. Did you see how many Corruptors were required to take the Battlecruisers down? How often do you think would someone have an army that large of pure Corruptors in a normal game? I think it's fairly safe to say that they wouldn't, so they wouldn't be so much of a threat in game. They might be quite valuable in island games though, provided that you can tech to them quick enough.

2. DE.50

DE.50 New Member

Washington
    True, I guess I was just thinking if they do get that many whatever air force you have is screwed since the corrupters seem to have a lot of hitpoints.

3. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    I think they will be cosly...

4. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Technically you only need one Corrupter, let the Mutalisks bring it down to lets say 20 Hp, then have the Courrpter ''kill'' the unit, thus corrupting it. Right?

5. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    Perhaps, but i tihnk the unit will be changed in some way, perhaps taking over an other unit by infesting it (flying into it taking it over)

6. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    With that, allow them to use their claws to grab onto an enemy unit thus controlling it for the duration it is attached. When it lets go the unit returns to the enemy but maybe you put it into a situation where the unit gets killed anyway. Like?

7. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    Yeah a bit like that, but perhaps its owerpowered?

8. ShoGun

ShoGun Guest

The corruptor is an amazing anti-air unit.

Blizzard, if you are listening to this, I don't care what anyone says, keep the corruptor and its mechanic. If there are some changes to be made then make those changes, but please do not scrap this unit, or grossly change the concept. This is by far one of the most interesting mechanics for the zerg and definately adds a uniqueness to them.

9. ninerman13

ninerman13 New Member

The Corrupter is one of my favorite new units for the Zerg. I like the direction the race is headed; a.k.a. making infestation an actual, important mechanic.

To my understanding, a corrupted unit becomes a sort of 'stationary turret' for the Zerg. This way enemy air units can't fully be added to a Zerg attack force and are really more of a nuisance. I can still see this ability being overpowered though, so hopefully after a certain amount of time a corrupted unit will either die or revert back to normal.

I also would guess that the corruption works via spores. A Corrupter shot probably does damage while also adding 'infestation spores' (name guess, not unlike former Devourer's acid spores), so it'd be entirely possible to kill an enemy with health too low for corruption. After ten spores or so the enemy unit would officially become a minion of the swarm.

Side note @ Zergalicious (early Baneling post) - videos were specifically to show off the Baneling by using it in situations of utter advantage for the Zerg. They are probably in actuality relatively expensive. Not to mention that if you watch one of the Zerg videos one of the pros tries to use Banelings and fails miserably. So they are definitely not overpowered.

10. ShoGun

ShoGun Guest

Thanks for the elaborate explaination on the corruptor ninerman :good:

11. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    ninerman13 about the baneling:
    They needed like 15-20 against 2 Thor´s so i do not think they are so costly, perhaps:
    Zergling 25 minerals
    baneling 25 minerals 25 gas:
    Total: 50 minerals 25 gas, which is as costly as a hydra.

12. 10-Neon

10-Neon New Member

Gainesville, FL
    Yes, and there were, as you said, 15-20 of them, which is about as many Hydras you would need to take down two Thors anyway.

13. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    I don't think the corrupted units will be all that dangerous. The corrupted units didn't appear to be firing. What I did notice is that the Terran units were busy killing the corrupted units and ignored the corruptors making corrupted units a great distraction.

When facing corruptors you would have to babysit your units more so they fire at the zerg inzstead of the ueless corupted units

14. 10-Neon

10-Neon New Member

Gainesville, FL
    The tentacled-look of the corrupted Battlecruisers made me think of a melee attack. I'd like to see corrupted units being slow, melee, "zombie" units that force players to navigate around their now-dangerous former ships.

ZvZ: Will a Corruptor corrupt other Zerg units, too? Does that even make sense?

15. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    Neon wouldnt that be one of the few counter against mass mutalisks?

16. Ayzee

Ayzee New Member

Sweden
    @BoP,
    as I said before somewhere; I don't think the vikings just happened to attack the BCs. I think a human would have done the same thing. Why? Because I think corrupted units "come alive" after a while - ergo - not so "useless". So in that situation it's worth more killing the BCs off before they start firing (or whatever creepy thing they might do after corruption..) than going for the corruptors themselves.

But this is just a theory, ofcourse.

17. Meee

Meee New Member

Poland
    They've turned battlecruisers to their side in seconds, I don't see how yet to be active units is greater threat than that

18. Ayzee

Ayzee New Member

Sweden
    In seconds is a bit much don't you think, Meee?
    There's like 10 of them, each fireing multiple volleys before the BCs go down. Most flying units would pull that off. It's the after-part that's more dangerous :)

19. Meee

Meee New Member

Poland
    It's not much, that's what they did. Even if that's only because of numbers, the vikings should still aim for corrupters to prevent more units from being taken over. Sure, they got rid of potentialy dangerous BCs, but not only were left with no more units to fight, the zerg force grew in size instead of depleting and their corrupting potential remained the same.

20. Ayzee

Ayzee New Member

Sweden
    Yeah, you got a point considering the remaining corrupting abilities.

Honestly.. I dont like it's ability that much. Ever played Dune? That old game? They had a tank called "Deviatior" (haha.. yeah I know) and it basically did what the Corruptor does. One shot and the enemy temporarly became yours.

I didn't like it then and I still don't. I'm gonna wait and see how the Corruptor actually plays out, too early to say.