1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Corrupters.

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by ced, Mar 10, 2008.

The Corrupters.

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by ced, Mar 10, 2008.

1. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    Yeah i do not think the Baneling is owerpowered! And in all those videos it was like 3000minerals zerg against 1000minerals protoss/terran

2. Kaaraa

Kaaraa Space Junkie

United States
    The corruption mechanic doesn't seem all that bad to me. If you look at the corrupted units, they just sit there and do nothing. Right now it seems like killing enemies just adds some weak cannon fodder...like a few airborne immobile zerglings to distract your enemy while you tear into them.

3. Ayzee

Ayzee New Member

Sweden
    I think the reason they attack the corrupted BCs is so they won't "activate".

4. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    Noooo! D=

5. Darktemplar_L

Darktemplar_L New Member

Bay Area
    Won't the corrupter be rigged since it can infest ANY air unit. And will this mean that the colossus can be infested?

6. i2new@aol.com

i2new@aol.com New Member

This unit wont make it. The concept is to strong. TAKE a BC or Carrier and theres a problem. Every bodys ganna wanna play zerg and if they dont play zerg they wont make air. this in turn makes the game unbalanced. this unit will get either a new effect or be removed all together. either way somethings ganna change.

7. Prodigal

Prodigal New Member

It has potential still. If it require depleting the units HP, it would in effect be dead if it was fighting say a DEVOURER. So really all your getting is the infested version of the unit the corrupters killed. Its also likely that the unit will not have full life, or it may be timed, meaning that after a minute or so the unit automatically dies. I don't think this is unbalanced...this seems to be in effect the only focused AA unit in the game for Zerg. It fits well with the new Zerg infestation/evolution theme.

8. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    I think more information has to be released on this before it's deemed a good or bad mechanic. Questions like percentage of health and damage retained, if abilities are retained, how long it takes for corrupted unit to start activate, percentage change of corruption, does the Corruptor require the killing blow to corrupt the target, etc.
    I'm hoping a lot of people will ask about it for the next Q&A Batch.

9. Prodigal

Prodigal New Member

Found this on Kotaku.com.

"The Corruptor is the Zerg's dedicated air-to-air unit. Corruptors don't immediately destroy their targets. Instead, the targeted enemy becomes corrupted, becoming a stationary turret that fires at other nearby enemies. In this way, Corruptors can quickly overcome large groups of enemy fliers, turning them against one another."

Sounds like the units it corrupts only fire back, meaning if you flee the corrupted ships can't follow. Must be timed.

10. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    It didn't look as though the Battlecruisers were firing back though. Is it possible that they can only fire at targets in front of them? It could open up all sorts of tactics of targeting the units at the back of their army.

11. kuvasz

Hungary
    If the Thor still has 2 lives then I can see Blizzard liking the idea of exploiting units by attacking them from an angle they can't fire back.

12. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    That's true. The Thor cannot fire back because it's got a slow turn speed, so if Corrupted units cannot turn around, then they can't fire back.

13. kuvasz

Hungary
    No, I meant the Thor in its second life works (worked?) the same way corrupted units do, that it can't move or turn, it can only fire in the direction it's looking.

I'm not sure if Thor 2nd life is still in or not. It didn't seem like it but I only remember seeing them die from banelings, and it could very well be that the Thors did have their 2nd lives but the Banelings just kept on rolling (since the Thor was still there after "dying") and quickly disposed of the stationary Thor.

14. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Not quite sure I know what you mean.
    What I interpreted from your first statement was that if Thors cannot fire at targets behind it because it needs to face them and takes so long to turn around, then if the Corrupted units turn into stationary, turret-like units, then they won't be able to turn around and attack the units behind it, which is what we witnessed in the video with the Corruptors, Battlecruisers and Vikings.

15. Meee

Meee New Member

Poland
    At some point Thor had a "second life", which means that after it was dealt lethal damage it still worked but couldn't move or turn around at all - only fire at targets in front of it.
    Corrupted units seem to work in similar fashion with the difference that they now target their allies instead of enemies. I think that's what kuvasz meant

16. AcE_01

AcE_01 Active Member

Australia
    besides the corrupt ability i just wanna say that i like this unit the best so far...they just look so cool with their tentacles. it looks like they are swimming....in the air!! mad!! lol.

17. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Ok, sorry, I didn't know about that. Basically we're all portraying the same idea, just using different examples. We're all saying that units won't be able to attack targets that are behind them, you guys used the example of the immobilised second life of the Thor, whereas I used the example of the Thor having to turn with a slow rotation speed.
    I wonder how large their angle of fire would be, like if 90o was directly in front of them, would they be able to fire from 0o to 180o? Or would it be more like 45o to 135o? Maybe even something like 89o to 91o? Anyone know?

18. DE.50

DE.50 New Member

Washington
    I have no idea on the firing abilities about the corrupted units, but I do have some other things too add...
    I LOVE the look, floating tentacled brains are awesome.
    Can they corrupt a colossus? It is run by a computer, so this is debatable.
    I don't even think it is possible to counter these units with other air units, they seem that good, but since they are useless against ground units I feel like they will be balanced.
    Also, I can't see many players ever getting air against the zerg now.

19. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Wait, this means the Corruptor can corrupt Colossus and Thor since they can be hit by air.

For the Thor I'd say 45.

20. AcE_01

AcE_01 Active Member

Australia
    this corruptor will most probably be balanced down. right now they probably just wanna show this sexy unit out. x]