1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Colossus needs some upgrades

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by CaptainPicard, Oct 2, 2007.

The Colossus needs some upgrades

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by CaptainPicard, Oct 2, 2007.

1. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    No, a Colossus cannot attack air, but it can be attacked by air.

2. l2k

l2k New Member

3. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Damn, mass Colossus and Immortal. Its a shame the other guy didn't have air.

4. Tankman131

Tankman131 Guest

he collosus seems like it could be a main force defence unti, to protect the other ones. (higher ground attack) like a protoss sniper with a big laser ^_^ the only upgrade i can see that would be balanced is to either get rid of the air to air attack ability where air units can attack it, or get a special attack meant for air, like the SUpCOm gallactic collosus's tracktor beam (For example)

P.S. is it just me, or does the collosus look like the war of the worlds tripod ???

5. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    The whole concept behind the Colossus is that it's a absolutely gigantic machine with an exceptionally powerful attack. To make up for this damage, and without giving it really low health/shields or a really high cost, it is vulnerable to both Anti-Ground and Anti-Air attacks. If it's given an upgrade that allows it to not be hit by Anti-Air attacks, then it would be unbalanced (not to mention that the physical size of the in-game Colossus would have to change). The same pretty much goes for giving it an Anti-Air attack, except on top of that, it's designed to be an Anti-Ground unit. Giving it the ability to attack Air targets would be like giving Zealots the ability to attack Air.
    If it were to have these upgrades, it would force Blizzard to reduce its health or damage or greatly increase its cost.

6. Gforce

Gforce New Member

there might be some sort of armor or shield upgrade, but that's all it would need.

7. WuHT

WuHT New Member

considering how specialized the colossus is, if anything..the IMMORTAL should change (more flexible)

8. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    And exactly how is the Thor specialized? It's an Anti-Ground unit with a horizontal splash damage effective against most other ground units.

9. EonMaster

EonMaster Eeveelution Master

Black City, Unova
    Not anymore WIck.

The thor is now mainly an Anti-Air unit with splash damage and has a weaker Anti-Ground attack. It's also now faster so air units don't get away as easily.

10. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Still pretty slow tho. Air units will have no problem it seems.

11. EonMaster

Black City, Unova
    The Q&A said the new thor is as fast as a marine now. (unstimed obviously)

Yes it is still outmanuverable, but not as easy as it would have been if the original speed was still being used.

12. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    What? You sure about that? I thought it was as fast as a Tank in assault mode.

13. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    It said Tank not Marine. But Marines ain't really that fast either, without stims that is.

14. DontHate

DontHate New Member

I agree the collosus needs more than just a shield upgrade for it to be a great unit for it's price.
    I believe it needs either something like barrage from wc3 steam engines (but less powerful) or a better type of ground attack. Maybe 2 lazers sweeping at the same time from it's 2 side pods. I'd prefer it a lot more than the current line attack.

15. EonMaster

Black City, Unova
    That was a typo, my bad. -.-'

I'm trying to figure if the new attack for the colossus is better or worse than the original. The new once is much better for fighting massed ground units like lings and hydras. However, the old once was much better for killing individual units like the roach.

16. Gforce

Gforce New Member

The old one was better, and i think a simple shield or armor upgrade and maybe even an attack upgrade is all it needs.

17. EonMaster

Black City, Unova
    Jon said that the new attack was much more effective against groups of units and 4 or more colossi together were nearly impossible to stop using ground units. He said a group of siege tanks might be the only thing that could hold them back.

18. Gforce

Gforce New Member

he never said anything about the nuke, that would stop them outright.

19. needler

needler New Member

The colossi would just walk away from the nuke.

20. Smokiehunter

Smokiehunter New Member

To answer the topic I don't think they need any upgrades other than the ones every one else gets at the forge.

To the nuke comment, remember the colossus might be replacing the reaver but its much faster.

I think the two colossus weapons represent totally different forms of attack. the lines take out spicific units or units coming one at a time. the spread takes on units that are gathered in a bunch or fighting a meat shield. now that I think about it I think it would be cool if you could switch the weapons like an ability but it would take 15 or 10 seconds to change.