1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Colossus needs some upgrades

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by CaptainPicard, Oct 2, 2007.

The Colossus needs some upgrades

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by CaptainPicard, Oct 2, 2007.

1. EonMaster

EonMaster Eeveelution Master

Black City, Unova
    colossus weakness = can be hit by AA units and has no AA attack as we currently know of.

2. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    It seems that we will never agree on this one. ;)
    I thinck it just depends on what kind of strategies you like to use, but for the really rare situations you might want to use this "ability" they have almost no effect. (and I doubt they will add it to the game, especially because of the things I pointed out in my first post on this page) And I want to add to that that when the Zerglings come rushing in you will probably not even have enough time to react and set the beams to "separate fire", since they will be decimated in no time at all.

These are the only units where your argument applies to since they have the lowest health of all offensive ground units. Any higher and the spare damage you have left will only be like 5 HP per 20 units or so, depending on how much HP the offensive units have. I doubt Blizzard will add a total new ability that will only effect one unit and will be almost unusable since you will not even have time to activate it. :p

3. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    CORRECTION! Decimate means to reduce by one tenth. It does not mean the same thing as annihilate or destroy, it means to get rid of one tenth. It started in Ancient Roman times, where if a legion was being too rowdy, became disruptive or disobeyed orders, then the Centurion could have that legion decimated, where every tenth solider would be killed. Hehe, don't mess with Latin students, they know the original Latin words words that a whole lot of English words have derived from. Not to mention their extraordinary knowledge of grammar and tenses, etc.

I can understand what you're saying and I doubt that Blizzard will implement this ability, I just thought that it was the most plausible from the ones suggested so far. Zerglings wouldn't be the only ones to use this on. Providing that the Colossus are supplying heavy support from the back of your army, it would be effective on any small massed units. Marines only have 5 more health than Zerglings, so depending on how the Colossus' attack works it would also be effective on Terran infantry. Protoss would be a bit different, because they have fewer, but much more powerful units.

4. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    Fo®Saken, i think that your explanation didn't include all the factors there is. for instance, when the colossus kills one unit, it doesn't instantly start shooting at the next target. when one lone unit is killed, the beam actually continues to fire, like a sec or two, then ends. then it have to switch targets, redirecting its beams, which takes half a second or longer.

If you instead just have two different beams, they wont have to switch targets afterwards.

i am not saying that a concentrated beam would do less damage than two different ones in this situation, i just think that you left a few things out.

5. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    You are right on that, but you just can't have an ability that only works in or two situations. And I did left the switching time factor out, because we don't even know yet how fast this is going to work since nothing is final yet. Also, I would like to point out that a lone units would probably run away from a colossus anyway, since it won't stand a chance in most situation. (and don't come saying that a lone viking/mutalisk etc. can own it beacause I kwow that, I'm talking about ground units only here, because that's what colossus are for)

@ItzaHexGor
    *gets out his dictionary, looks up decimated*
    Okey, you owned me on that one. ;)
    But I guess you kwow what I meant when I said that. And you are right about that it is more plausible they will use this idea then another, because it sounds the most logical of al.

I actually have another idea. The colossus has some kind of thingy hanging in front of it, and so far as I know it does absolutely nothing. Wouldn't it be cool ta have an upgrade where it could shoot some kind of beam out of there? It would have a cool down/power cost or be limited like spider mines were. (or know like the grenades of reapers) You would be able to damage or slow down an enemy unit with it so you have a little bit of protection. And again, it would be limited in use, so ONLY for defence, not offensive since it wouldn't do enough damage for that kind of use.

It could also send out some kind of interceptor, every colossus would get a few when they are created, and when they are destroyed there is no way of bringing them back, They won't be attacking but just catching missiles and stuff, like a moving shield or something. For example: you get near a terran base and the AA turrets start to fir, you let out your interceptors and you would have some more time to attack befor taking damage.

The last idea so for would be to have scarabs for the colossus, and they would also be limited. Many people complain about the reaper being gone in Starcraft 2, but with a limited supply of scarabs for each colossus, you would at least have some kind of artillery. It won't be cost efficiënt to just create colossus for this use, beacause they are to expensive for that. Just see it as an addition to it's heavy support role.

Any opinions? (I would be suprised if there arn't any, but hey, I will just wayt for the rest of the weekend and come back to see what happened. ;))
    :gossip:

6. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    LOL, I didn't mean to have a go at you or anything with the decimated thing, and yeah, I knew what you meant, most people use decimate to mean annihilate or similar. I guess being a Latin student makes you quite pedantic. ;)

Good spotting of the third part hanging out at the front, but I think that it's the cockpit or something. I like the idea of the third attack that would require power/ has a cool down, maybe it could be a very short range area of effect type thing? Similar to the Plasma Torpedoes of the Battlecruiser, but small radius, less damage and for a shorter amount of time. This would make the Colossus even more effective at taking out small massed units. I don't think that it should have interceptors, that should be unique to the Carrier. Also, I don't think that Scarabs would suit the Colossus. It's primary attack style is through beams of energy, so if it's able to shoot out small bombs, it'd make the unit seem quite the random.

7. Zhar

Zhar New Member

they should havea fet upgrade that allow it to skewer small-ish units (zergling marine zealot ?) or the thermal lances should not focus on the same unit...but target two different units, and operate indipendantly. not sure if they already do this, and ifso then woops :( they could also give it a secondary attack for air, much like the goliath had.

8. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

or maybe an upgrade for longer legs so it can step on bigger cliffs

9. i2new@aol.com

i2new@aol.com New Member

the colossus has a shield upgrade, that alone is good enough. The damn thing already walks cliffs and pwns smaller units.

10. EonMaster

Black City, Unova
    no need to be so negative aol. So it owns smaller units, that wil be good for the first 10 minutes of the game, if you get it out that fast.

11. i2new@aol.com

i2new@aol.com New Member

not true they got players that will still pump the smallest unit if its winning. like mass zerglings. or even an all out marine assult. thies attack forces will be even more stronger in sc2. i think the shild increas on the colossus should be harden shield like the immortal, after a long costly upgrade with tier 3 status.

12. EonMaster

Black City, Unova
    I know, I do that with zerglings, but tend to use hydralisk later in the game. Hardend sheild would protect them from siege tanks and many AA weapons, allowing it to live longer.

13. i2new@aol.com

i2new@aol.com New Member

i dont feel the colossus should have aa. I'm saying this because there not slow and there mobile. Pluse if blizzard pass the rule that collossus can walk over buildings thats all i would mainly make(with immotals and 1 or 2 phenixes)

14. EonMaster

Black City, Unova
    same, I think only small building, if that much, sould be crossable. I'm also iffy about thn being able to cross small streams. I thing the cliff clmbing is good enough.

15. i2new@aol.com

i2new@aol.com New Member

see what i mean. why would u give a unit full attack coverage and mobile at that. i would not say anything if the colossus didnt attack so dangerously with so much life but AA fire is out of the question. just make a phenix if u want it covered that badly. we dont want to make SC2 unbalenced and or TOO easy. its one thing to make easy controlls for the game but dont hand us a unit that will end up being over powered. I love the COLOSSUS and i love CHALLENGES, its ganna be and honor playing with and fighting agenst thies monsters(as they currently are).

16. Broodling

Broodling New Member

Colossi should not have AA or it will be imbalanced! Imagine, a unit that is mobile, has a massive attack and can attack any unit in the game! If that was the case, the sure-fire way to win is to spam colossi and walk into the opponent's base and pwn the whole thing.

17. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    The Colossus should not have, and should never have even as an upgrade, the ability to attack air units with an Anti-Air or Air-to-Air attack. It would not necessarily be imbalanced, because the damage and cost would be altered accordingly. The reason is that it would make the Colossus a well rounded unit, which is not what Blizzard had in mind for any unit in the game. The Colossus' weakness is in its lack of ability to combat air units, combined with the fact that it is able to be attacked with Anti-Air and Air-to-Air attacks. This requires the player to bring backup support with Colossus to compensate for its inability to attack air, which results in a lot more unit diversity while playing. No units will be able to be massed, because the opponent will just be able to mass a counter.

18. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

maybe an upgrade so they can sit on top of the dark obelisk and become invisible

19. EonMaster

Black City, Unova
    I must say.......the strangest power anyone has thought of, a course, comes from ijffdrie

20. longlivefenix

longlivefenix New Member

its almost like the idea of infested hatcheries....