1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Colossus needs some upgrades

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by CaptainPicard, Oct 2, 2007.

The Colossus needs some upgrades

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by CaptainPicard, Oct 2, 2007.

1. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

i really lolled at the last protoss lvl of BW, i made about 20 dark archons and took over their transport overlord

2. CaptainPicard

CaptainPicard New Member

Oh, that's music to my ears! I was hoping to have the original SC1 units in the editor. This is going to ROCK! I can't wait to see the new editor, and with 30-40% more units to work with than the regular game, it's going to be much fun to mod maps.

Get ready for fully rendered, stunning images of Wraith squadrons strafing battlecruisers and Protoss carriers, Terran Valkyries smashing enemy lines, even more cool stuff. My only concern is that the re-mastered units may be less detailed or animated than the others, but they'll probably still play a vital role in the campaign anyway and there were units in WC3 that didn't have as many animations but were nonetheless as detailed in their rendering (or more so since they were campaign units).

This is going to occupy me for quite some time...

3. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

how many times have you seen a shuttle killed by yamato in a game? or even yamato period. it is simply not viable to build bc's in most games. you can't simply say "what if this ability kills that because it's pure theory-crafting not real game play strategy. reaver+shuttle is a real game tactics when using reavers because it improves it's effectiveness infinitely. building bc's just to counter shuttle+reaver is simply not viable by the time your bc comes out and everything is researched and energy for yamato is ready, your base would already been demolished because you spent the resources on bc and not tanks or goliaths to defend against the reaver drop.

your argument is like saying that the dark archon will counter everything because it can mind control them all.

4. Darth_Bane

Darth_Bane Moderator

Seattle, Washington USA
    Well yes and no The Dark Archon can counter everything because of its mind control ablility. So yes. And I think all of the ideas for the upgrades for the colossus so far are awsome and I think would make them even more unique from any other unit.

5. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

it cant counter a nuke

6. longlivefenix

longlivefenix New Member

a mothaship can^^

7. GrahamTastic

GrahamTastic Member

I think it is a good idea. The Colossus seems like it should have a lot of upgrades, like the Goliath and the Reaver. I especially like the "beam moves faster" idea. Very creative.

8. lurkers_lurk

lurkers_lurk New Member

Red Bluff, CA
    the goliath only had one upgrade.

9. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    @ BnechbReaker. Keep in mind I said:
    Just to me it seems like your putting all your eggs in one basket. It doesn't have to be Yamato or anything specific, I just used that as a quick example. I don't play Protoss often, and when I do I focus on Dragoons and Zealots.

10. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    can a dark archon mind control himself to do his own bidding? just kidding.

11. WuHT

WuHT New Member

The colossus was going to be a premier ground mega-unit at first glance. Something that's an ultralisk-class unit. It only looks bad because it's being overshadowed by Thor. This is something that'll skew my perception of the colossus .. even though i know the Thor is going to be much costlier...i can't help but make mental comparisons between the two.

12. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    well, the colossus is much more maneuverable. its a li´l bit faster and can walk over cliffs.

13. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    LOL! "the Colossus is much more maneuverable." That is SUCH and understatement. Besides, the Thor is a completely different unit to the Colossus, so it doesn't matter if it overshadows it. The Colossus is a heavy-support, backup unit for your army, and the Thor is designed to absolutely obliterate your opponent's front line of defense. The Colossus doesn't have enough firepower to fit the Thor's role, and the Thor is too slow and cumbersome to fit the role of the Colossus. Two completely different units.

14. longlivefenix

longlivefenix New Member

anyways the thor is meant to take 90% of incoming and to leave you better units alive

the colossus is meant to destroy hordes

the colossus is going to be better for UMS defenses^^

15. WuHT

WuHT New Member

There will always be comparisons among each race's simliar tier'd units.
    Battlecruisers and Carriers are DIFFERENT exactly as you mentioned..but they will always be compared to one another and set the benchmark.
    Same thing between Archons and Ultralisk.. and even tanks/reavers to an extent. Colossus seemed to be hyped as this protoss-killing mention too dangerous until now (like mothership) and that i'll kick all sorts of ass. Then the Thor is introduced....and you are left wondering why didnt the protoss make their colossus more powerful

16. longlivefenix

longlivefenix New Member

zergling>zealots>marines ----_
    /\ \
    | |
    \_____________________/

always compared

lol edited like 6 times

17. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

lol you could have simply wrote zergling>zealots>marine>zergling

18. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    LOL! I found that funny. The Protoss didn't make their Colossus more powerful because it would create balancing issues. ;D.
    But seriously, the Protoss player will be able to get like 5+ Colossus fairly easily, but the Terran player would be insane to get more than 2 or 3 Thor, because it would be so limiting on him/her.
    I never struck many, if any, similarities between Archons and Ultralisks or Siege Tanks and Reavers... To me they're all unique to their race and are all used differently.

@longlivefenix/BnechbReaker, I personally prefer the picture touch. ^_^. A lot more creative than the mathematical way, lol.

19. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

i only offered the alternative solution because he said he had to edit the picture 6 times

20. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Out of curiosity, why doesn't it have the "Last Edited - *time* *date*" like ti usually has after editing?

Also it still looks as though it needs some more editing.