1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Colossus needs some upgrades

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by CaptainPicard, Oct 2, 2007.

The Colossus needs some upgrades

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by CaptainPicard, Oct 2, 2007.

1. xasterothx

xasterothx New Member

these upgrades would be really nice....

it would make the collossus the gods of pv....err....umm.....w.e

2. Patuljak

Patuljak New Member

Slovenia
    I think someone who actually played SC2 at Blizzcon said that they're really powerful and that it's basically "the end for you if your opponent gets them". Can't remember where I read it though.

3. longlivefenix

longlivefenix New Member

about the whole terrans have the longest ranged units in the game:

So what? the terrans are the race that "kills them before they can get in range to kill you..." tank... bc... thor... - some blizzard guy (sorry blizzard guy for calling you blizzard guy but i don no what else to call you blizzard guy :p)

4. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    I agree. Terran deserves to have the longest ranged units, after all, the closest that they ever got to close combat was the Firebat which still had a ranged attack. Also, Terran are like the ultimate artillery-type team, and no other teams fit this role in StarCraft1 nor should they in Starcraft2. In StarCraft1 the Zerg and Protoss teams did have one long ranged artillery unit, being the Guardian and Reaver, respectively. However the Terran Siege Tanks and Battlecruisers were much more versatile and effective than the others.

5. longlivefenix

longlivefenix New Member

true
    i think that the leg enhancement would be the only one that would make sense.... i think the colossus is fine and they probly dont need to change it

6. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Do we really need a speed enhancement? They can already be put into phase prisms

7. longlivefenix

longlivefenix New Member

no, a speed enhancement would be waaaaaaay imba

8. DontHate

DontHate New Member

the shield upgrade is enough for the collosus. it looks pwnage as it is.

9. longlivefenix

longlivefenix New Member

it does look awesome

10. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Just remember that all units are supposed to have a counter/weakness. The Colossus' main weakness is that it cannot defend itself from the air and is so big that it can be hit by Anti-Air attacks. This is Blizzards way of forcing players to not just mass one unit. If one player masses Colossus, the other can mass Banshee and pretty much can't be attacked in any major way. However if the opponent masses Banshee then the Player could mass Phoenixes. Then the Terran could mass Battlecruisers, because Phoenix optimize against light armored units (from my understanding). Then Protoss could mass Warp-Rays, etc, etc, and the circle goes on. However if Colossus were able to attack air, then the circle really kinda stops at the Colossus, because it can now attack the hostile air units and has lost its weakness. Keep all the units as they are because all of them have their own unique strengths and weaknesses.

11. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    Great explanation ItzaHexGor, that's the way it is and it shouldn't be changed, but a larger range would come in handy since the protoss are now the only race without a longe range artillery unit Since the reaper is gone and the siege tank is still there and I would be very suprised if the guirdian wouldn't make a comeback in Starcraft 2.

@the speed anhancement upgrade crap:
    The colossus is already pretty fast, and with the ability to walk up and down cliffs AND the new ability to put it into a phase prism and transport it over water, I don't really see the need of giving it greater speed. :-\

12. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Protoss already has their Warp Ray which is designed for long ranged bombardment. I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't get any kind of long ranged ground unit. Yeah, the Terran do still have the Siege Tank, but the Reaver's attack range didn't get close to the Siege Tanks range, and their slow speed made them easy targets. Seems logical that Protoss would stop producing them. Although I hope that they're still in the Map Editor, because they were such a classic unit.

13. longlivefenix

longlivefenix New Member

the design team said that they were gonna add every unit from sc1 to the sc2 campaign editor
    btw i cant wait to play an sc2 game with sc1 units also!

14. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Sweet! What would also be sweet is being able to play classic StarCraft1 in a StarCraft2 style. I tried to do a similar thing by making a WarCraft2 game in WarCraft3, gave up halfway through, though. Also the 'updated' StarCraft1 one will need a heck of a lot more balancing that the 'updated' WarCraft2 one, seeing as all of the WarCraft2 Horde units had the exact same health, armor, and attack as the Alliance units.

15. longlivefenix

longlivefenix New Member

i never played warcraft... but that would be hard to balence...
    sc2 units vs sc1 units... that would be awesome to play with the pros ;D

16. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

you should always accompany your reaver with a shuttle, reaver+shuttle absolutely pwns

17. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Reavers accompanied by Shuttles is alright, but if they are able to catch your shuttle with a Yamato or something, then that's a Shuttle and 2 Reavers gone. I never played Protoss as much as Terran and Zerg, so I'm not sure, isn't it a bit risky?

18. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

every unit can be killed by yamato, so what is your point? the fact is reaver on its own sucks but with a shuttle it pwns

19. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    My point is that two Reavers could be inside the Shuttle. That's 3 units being killed in a single Yamato, which is very different to just having a single unit being taken out by the Yamato. Reavers cost 200 mins, 100 gas, and the Shuttle costs 200 mins. If the Shuttle is destroyed while carrying the Reavers, then that's 500 mins and 200 gas gone.

20. CaptainPicard

CaptainPicard New Member

It sucked worse to get your shuttle mind-controlled. How does that work with robotic units, anyways?