1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Big Dark Templar Citadel Thingies... Hypothesis

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by kehmdaddy, Jul 12, 2007.

The Big Dark Templar Citadel Thingies... Hypothesis

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by kehmdaddy, Jul 12, 2007.

1. generalrievous

generalrievous New Member

Im 60% sure that its the war shrine but who knows

2. Ghost

Ghost New Member

We have seen the warshrine, anyway, It might be a barrier building of sorts, making a shield around them, sort of like a shield generator. I really have no clue about this

3. paragon

paragon Guest

If it is the war shrine then why is it in defensive positions in pretty much every screenshot it is in?

4. Nikzad

Nikzad New Member

wait is the war shrine a tech building or a producing building?

5. Dreadnought

Dreadnought New Member

Perhaps it provides the power for templars and dark templar. so they have to recharge their PSI and awsome weapons there..

6. paragon

paragon Guest

no i doubt the dark templar would have anything less than permanent cloak. How would they explain that away? "Well we used to be able to permanently cloak but we forgot how"

7. Dreadnought

Dreadnought New Member

I meant they have more powerfull weapons that require recharging :) I edited it thanks for showing how clumsy of me.

8. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

Mebbe it is a psy recharger though. Like, the Auir Protoss can regen shields, while the Shakuras Protoss can regen psy?

9. Nikzad

Nikzad New Member

I still say air defense

10. kehmdaddy

kehmdaddy New Member

Air defense is the most logical, but I just don't see any proof of it from the screenshots. Psi recharger... perhaps, but I think having them around the cliffs is kind of a strange place to put them. And I did not notice that it was outside of the pylon, so perhaps that is the "powered down" look for these structures. I kinda liked my shield battery idea tho =)

11. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

Then why have we never seen it attack? In one of the shots it's in, it could easily attack Muta's, yet it does not.

Hmmm

12. Dreadnought

Dreadnought New Member

Having a PSI recharger or maybe something to unmerge archons :eek: or perhaps it could rearm scarabs. It could also be a shield battery. Maybe it grants bonus regeneration of shields and energy to all nearby friendly units. It could also just be something to upgrade ur units. (i made multiples of armories all the time)

13. kehmdaddy

kehmdaddy New Member

Well, I said air defense would make the most sense (due to its height and placement), BUT I agree we haven't seen proof of it. I doubt it is an upgrade facility just because it's placed in defensive positions. I think bonus regeneration of shield and/or energy could be it, kind of like a re-vamped shield battery. There is a new terran building in one of the new IGN screenshots that is also tall and, as I suggested in the thread about it in the Terran section, perhaps each race will receive one of these "scout towers." Due to their height, it would make sense that they would have a long range of sight, and perhaps the Terran tower has a comstat ability since it has a radar atop of it, while this Dark Templar Tower would have the shield regeneration ability.

14. taz

taz New Member

i like the idea of a shield battary its it makes it more reasonable to see them close to stratigic base entry points!

taking a long look at them though reminded me of those towers in "chronicles of riddick" where at one point they discharge an energy bomb to kill all biological life forms.....yes i know it sounds whacky but if it has the same function....

15. Imagine.

Imagine. New Member

You know after much thought, the tower is not an anti-air defense structure. The Protoss already have the most versatile defensive structures in the game (I.E. Photon and Phase Cannons) which can attack both land and air units. It would not make sense to have another structure that is specialized (anti-air theory) when you already have buildings that are highly capable of defending. On another note, the towers are next to Phase Cannons (Again, I reference the Tempests vs. Mutalisks IGN Screenshot.)

I really think that these towers boost attack or defense as there would be no real reason to have more than one. Their totem pole nature reflects the pride of the Protoss in my opinion.

16. Nikzad

Nikzad New Member

you mean "after much thought, I think the tower is not an anti-air defense structure"

none of us knows for sure

and although I knew about the versatility of the Protoss D, I say air defense because I usually play Protoss and cannons are SOOOOOOOOOO WEEEAAAAK

I'll take any kind of upgrade i can lol

17. wuffle

wuffle Member

Okay guys, I was watching th ol' gameplay video, and I noticed the reapers ran by a GOLD AND BLUE version of this tower when they were running away. Do you guys think there will be a light and dark version of this tower or do you think they thought it would be more suitable as a dark building and changed the design?

18. kehmdaddy

kehmdaddy New Member

I think they just changed the design, but we really have seen enough to be sure about it.

19. Outcaster

Outcaster New Member

nice catch there , didn't see it until now

20. MaliciouS

MaliciouS New Member

I still have absolutely no idea what the structure actually does, but here's an interesting screeshot of a Terran 'spire' which seems to be placed around in defensive locations, like the Dark Templar spire.

[​IMG]
    (It's positioned near the top-left corner.)

It could be something to simply increase the Line of Sight, Blizzard did mention they were doing something special about establishing that. (or they just ment that Fog of War doesn't get revealed to players that get attacked from higher positions)