1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Terran Planetary Fortress

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Imagine., Jul 17, 2007.

Terran Planetary Fortress

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Imagine., Jul 17, 2007.

1. capthavic

capthavic New Member

Yeah it's great that they are really playing up the different sides. TBH I didn't feel that they were all THAT different in SC1, but this time they are really shaping up to provide truely unique experience.

I'm not a zerg fan, but if what we have seen so far for the Protoss and Terran is any indication, the zerg are gonna be crazy.

2. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

The fortress will make expanding much easier, and the supply depot will make great choke point defense, now you have to wonder whether to make SDs or PlanFort to choke in front of tanks.

There's plenty of time till the game comes out though, so we might not even see these units.

3. DontHate

DontHate New Member

i hope they dont make it too poweful so u can't like mass them and rush :O. like AoW rushes. lol.

4. wuffle

wuffle Member

AoW rushing pwns. lol. I love doing that.

5. Dxun

Dxun New Member

I am now selling Adult diapers only 9.95$ plus 5.00 shipping and handling, Buy one now and we'll double the offer!! thats right 2 pairs of adult diapers.. call now!! 1800-555-Zerg

And I had an idea last night, you know how if you fully upgrade a hatchery that it costs around 650 (300 to put it down) minerals and 350 gas, now what if for each lvl of you hatchery past the basic (lair/hive) you gained 1 sunken tentical and 1 spore shooter thing..i forgot what it shoots.. so at the hive level you would have 2 of each so any enemies within range of your hive would get attacked by either of the two.

The way I imagined it was that all Zerg buildings are alive and Zerg being the most badass and evil of them all would make something into the buildings to attack stuff, which of course is overpowered. :good:

6. Exvasion

Exvasion New Member

Yeah this is obviously a strictly defensive weapon, having mobile command centers floating around blowing crap up would just be.....yeah.... So in my estimation the damage it will do will be about equal to a siege tank in tank mode at best, to defend against harassing mostly. Add this to the fact that they are making phase cannons mobile and it seems like Blizzard is trying to make it more dificult to land in someone's back door and take out all their workers with say a reaver or two.

7. Lord David

Lord David New Member

Melbourne, Australian Continent, Earth, Sector 001
    I doubt it will be a powerful weapon. Yes it would be designed for defense. In my opinion, it would have the same (similar) type of attack/damage for ground and air. By the looks of what appears to be dual guns, they can be anything from chain guns (or Gatling guns (though that would be imbalanced due to an expected continuous or rapid fire rate)), missiles would be the same, so the only thing left would be lasers or some sort of plasma based weaponry. It could be based on Ion Cannon technology as well...

So basically, IMO, it would utilize some sort of energy based weaponry, with a what is it long cooldown? (so it will take long for it to re-fire after having done it once or twice), it would use splash damage to help distribute the damage amongst a group of enemy forces.

So, simply put, it is very possible that a simple mass of whatever unit could potentially counter it, as it is not all that "powerful" though one should be on the watch out for supply depots covering it to prevent melee attacking units from attacking the fortress.

8. hominiddd

hominiddd New Member

It all depends on how fast you can upgrade the command center to this fortress. If it is only available later, then rush tactics and all the reaver tactics will still work on killing scvs because the fortress will no be up yet. I'm thinking at fastest it might be like a zerg hive type upgrade. Which took some time to upgrade because if it's up too earlier then terran will have too much defense.

9. Exvasion

Exvasion New Member

Well I think the upgrade for planetary fortress will be available around the same time a Protoss player would be able to build reavers.

10. Frosty

Frosty New Member

California U.S.
    terran wall with planatary fortress >.< hells ya lol

11. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Imagine a Terran floating a CC into your base, then setting up a Fortress.

12. Frosty

Frosty New Member

California U.S.
    ya and then backining it up with nomad turrets lol

13. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    A CC not having enough time to become PF before it is blown up, that's what I can imagine.

14. Yamato_Cannon

Yamato_Cannon New Member

Virginia, United States
    Yup, and that same base could probably be destroyed by a bunch of scvs as well. Although... 1500 health and maybe 15 damage is actually pretty good if you built in bulk (since terran players usually have massive ammounts of minerals left over anyways). At the very least it could act as a meat shield that the enemy would destroy sooner or later.

15. Frosty

Frosty New Member

California U.S.
    can you lift of with pf if so it will allready be biult when it lands and if backed up by nomad turrets will be a good earl ecnomy strike or diversion + the pf will make economy stikes on the terran a bit trickyer

16. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    A PF can't lift off nor turn back into a CC.

17. Ursawarrior

Ursawarrior New Member

somewhere....not sure
    planetary fortress sounds lame, just terran fortress would do

18. CannonFodder

CannonFodder New Member

Somewhere near you
    I think the planetary Fortress is a great idea, especially if it can see cloaked units. That way it can stop early haresses. Also Im glad that the pf can't lift off over wise it would be too offensive, but dropping a command center and then upgrading sounds like a good tactic to use in a fun friendly game.