1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Terran Omnidiscussion

Discussion in 'Terran' started by BirdofPrey, Jul 31, 2008.

?

Rate your level of satisfaction with the Terran

Poll closed Aug 28, 2008.
  1. *****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. ****

38.1%
  3. ***

57.1%
  4. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. *

4.8%

Terran Omnidiscussion

Discussion in 'Terran' started by BirdofPrey, Jul 31, 2008.

1. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Dude, it's not Zergling-massable. They're big and powerful, so you don't need many to have a powerful army, but the point is that having more Thors takes precedence over having a diverse army.

The actual lighting attack doesn't suit the Terran. It's definitely a Protoss-style attack. Obviously not with electricity, but you can clearly see the similarities between an electric attack and, for example, the Archon's or, obviously, Psionic Storm. Then there's the fact that the Cobra looked like a Wraith from Halo3, but that's more of a modelling issue.

Cobras may be able to physically match Mutalisks, but Terran players wouldn't nearly produce as many Cobras as Zerg players would produce Mutalisks. Mutalisks are swarmable, are great damage dealers, are very competent against both Air and Ground targets, very fast as well as not being hindered by terrain, and are required to evolve into Guardians.

It would almost definitely be more worthwhile for the Medivac to spend its Energy healing than Irradiating a Queen. Firstly, a Queen would most likely retreat at the sight of a Marine drop as they're a priority target and aren't too durable. Secondly, for the Irradiation to be cost efficient, either the Medivac would need lots of Energy or Irradiation would need to cost next to no Energy. Seeing as having a healer with a tonne of Energy would be unbalanced, Irradiation would have to be cheap, and if it's cheap, it won't do much damage.

2. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    This time for me to summarize your ideas and make false statements for shipment to Blizzards ignore pile so if you have any more comments please make them quick. Be expecting the writeup in a few days and the Zerg discussion shortly thereafter.

I will publish the summaries in one big article once the Zerg discussion is finished.

3. EonMaster

EonMaster Eeveelution Master

Black City, Unova
    I think Blizzards managed to get most of the terran's mechanics fingured out. Im not sure where the thor is atm in terms of damage and advantages/disadvantages.

4. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    This discussion is now over and has been scrutinized an summarized
    =====
    Results of Terran Omnidiscussion and Poll

When asked to rate the units and mechanics of the Terran on a scale of one to five, forum members gave an average rating of 3. Only one member gave the Terran a score of five on the scale and one of the members who has had a chance to play recent builds of Starcraft 2 gave a rating of 1 showing that the members of Starcraft2forums.org aren't as happy with the Terran as they were with the Protoss, despite the flaws noted for that race, and that playing the game has not only don nothing to improve that outlook, it may have actively harmed it.

The thing that seems to be on everyone's mind is the Thor. The general consensus is that the Thor as originally shown was much better than its subsequent forms. At the moment it seems to be the mutant unit; it is a behemoth and yet is built at the factory and does nothing but swat flies. Many feel that the Thor is now nothing more than an oversized Goliath and yet it doesn't seem to fit into that role as well as the Goliath, so it could probably use a role change or, barring that, a model change. Many still like the built by an SCV idea and are sad to see the Thor come from the factory since some uniqueness of the unit is lost, and the model doesn't look like something that could come from the factory unless it were the same size as a siege tank. Some have said that the Thor is still supposed to fit in a tanking role, but others have mentioned that even with its self-healing mechanic it still doesn't seem to last long enough for the job; coupled with the fact that anti-air units are not generally put on the front lines or called as a main target unless an aerial attack is imminent, the role of tank isn't really a good one at the moment. At the end of the day the Thor is in sad shape because it doesn't really fit anywhere so it would be best if it were either replaced or made back into a battlecruiser on land.

The other unit that people don't seem to enjoy is the Medivac. It might just be nostalgia that drives everyone to ask for the Medic and Dropship back as separate units, but nevertheless, it has been asked for and decent reasons have been given. The main problem is a result of the reason for the Medivac's creation in the first place: Reapers. The Medivac was designed to be able to follow Reapers around to heal them, but if you have Medivacs flying around already then you might as well start a Marine drop since carrying units is the Medivac’s main and original job; another thing to note is that when the Reaper would be most useful at its role is when anti-air cover prevents a player from getting a dropship close enough to do a drop at which point the Reapers wouldn't have access to medical services anyways. Two solutions have been given, neither of which are mutually exclusive. The first suggestion was simply to give the reaper enough health to survive a raid without medical services and the second was to give the medic an ability to remote heal by doing something such as attaching a medical drone to one or more of the reapers turning him into a healing station with jump-jets; naturally this would have to be balanced by only allowing the medic to deploy a limited amount of drones at a single point in time.

Other than those two problem units there were a couple of other units that raised some minor complaints, The first of these is the Jackal; A few members don't seem to like the firing animation or the linear splash while others are unhappy with the model; the main gripe about the unit, though, has been that it is felt that the Jackal should fire on the move to improve its utility. Another unit of minor concern is the Reaper; along with the aforementioned suggestion for giving it enough health to survive a raid unsupported, many feel that the reaper seems to come a bit late for its role of harassment and base raiding.

Of course the units aren't all that has been noted as a problem or disappointment. Many members have complained about unit models from the get go, and a large amount of the criticism has been directed towards the unit models; some of the models aren't what they could be and one member described them as, "look[ing like] they're Fischer-Price, rounded edges so a baby doesn't cut his gums on it." Besides the Thor whose role and model don't match and people thinking the Jackal is rip-off of the Warthog and just about every other jeep with a mounted gun, a large amount of people seem to think the Ghost is too bulky and would prefer to see the older model back, though right from the start many didn't like the huge backpack that bounced around, so inspiration should be taken from the original game and Starcraft: Ghost; a relatively thin form fitting suit with a chest plate here and a shin guard there but nothing all to bulky, The ghost is special ops, he shouldn't look like a standard soldier ready for extended deployment.

A final thing that has been commented on was that many feel that the drop pod was an interesting mechanic and shouldn't have been cut, maybe toned down so you can't drop the whole war on a single spot in less than a minute, but not removed outright. With the Protoss having the fast deployment of warp-in and Zerg being able to sprout a Nydus Worm in the middle of their opponent's base it’s not really a good idea to deny Terran players that same kind of flash mob ability. Starcraft 2 is a much more mobile game than its predecessor and the Terran should not get left behind.
    =====
    Fell free to leave comments below and take part in the Zerg Omnidiscussion

Last edited: Aug 31, 2008
  5. Ych

Ych New Member

Great report BOP.

However, I don't really agree with the Mediavic dropship.I don't really see any huge complaints over the Mediavic dropship anymore. After WWI, most people (if not all) stated that it worked much better then expected.

Personally, I wouldn't want to bring back the Medics because to be honest, they seemed to be a little plain. You just build 3-4 with your Marines. You don't even have to control your Medics. It doesn't require much skill to control them.

On the other hand, Marauders is an excellent replacement for the Medics in terms of when the unit is available because Marauders takes skill to be used effectively along with the Marines. If we are to bring back the Medics, I believe combined with the Marauders, it might be overpowered early game.

So I don't know, I personally hope they don't bring back the Medics because Marauders seems like a unit that is more fun when controlling it and not to mention, looks much cooler then the Medics (unless your a 13 year old boy that gets high on looking at the Medic model, then I have no comment for you).

Last edited: Sep 1, 2008
  6. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    Thanks for the report. Depositing in monthly report ;)

7. Gforce

Gforce New Member

very good reporting BOP, i throughly enjoyed reading it.

8. Panzer28

Panzer28 New Member

I would have to give the new terrans a 5 if the pole was still open. From what I have seen and read there seems to be many new interesting changes and improvements over the older Terrans. Which is definitely welcome to me. I disagree with the medivac dropship also. It is very refreshing to have a new heal unit that adds more tactics to your game play. With the Thor what ever they decide to make it into I'd be happy with it. As long as they don't cut it from the game!

9. aem1

aem1 New Member

Cali
    would have been cool if the thor could transform into air-to-air gunship....think about it.. vikngs and thors dropping in. just my idea hahaha

and another question: In SC1 when a bc needed to be repaired by an scv, all we would see is the scv repairing the bc, as if there was no space between them which was odd imo, so will the battlecruiser, medivac and other flying uniys actually land to the ground for repair/pick-up etc?

Last edited: Sep 10, 2008
  10. ShoGun

ShoGun Guest

Haha, I thought of something like that too once before aem1. I don't think it is extremely necessary to have special animations for scv repairing and drop-ins, the added animation might even delay the unit's reaction time.

11. SOGEKING

SOGEKING New Member

who said the THOR is built from the Factory ?!

It isn't true !! I believed this unit didn't need the factory. It is just built outside, like another structure. And the factory has no link with that unit.

12. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

it actually is true now

13. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    It switches back and forth. It was a factory unit when I wrote this an I think it still is a factory unit

14. lurkers_lurk

lurkers_lurk New Member

Red Bluff, CA
    yes, from all my sources, and a few sites that i dont use as sources do to some reason or other, they all say that the Thor is built from the Factory, you can hope they changed that in Blizzcon =P

15. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    I think it's great that the current Thor is built from the Factory. Having to pull an SCV off the minerals every time you need a soaked up Goliath would suck psiblade. It would be viable if the Thor was reinstated as the Terran badass though. I liked it when it was huge.

16. overmind

overmind Active Member

New Zealand
    i kinda liked it like way, but would only fit its former role.

"revenge of the SCVs" maps would be abundant :p

17. capthavic

capthavic New Member

I like the old Thor when it was a badass siege engine. I hope that they reduce its size if they decide to keep it as a factory unit. How funny would it be to see such a huge unit pop out of a tiny factory XD

18. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    If they reduce its size they'd have to redesign it as well. At the moment the model itself is designed to be big, and wouldn't fit in with all the other units if it was simply shrunk.

19. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
  20. Space Pirate Rojo

Space Pirate Rojo New Member

Canada, eh?
    I liked it better when it was sh*t bricks upon seeing it's towering size.