1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Terran Jackal

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Psionicz, Feb 26, 2008.

Terran Jackal

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Psionicz, Feb 26, 2008.

1. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
    Having been around the forum awhile I am pretty sure he has made longer posts than that.

Remy I like most of your suggestions but would be mine regarding the Marauder and the Reaper. Instead of giving the Reaper a flamethrower give a small AOE version of the Marauder's attack, this would allow Reapers to be more directly helpful in comabt as well as giving them an attack that could truly shine when microed well in combination with the Reaper's D-8 charges against infantry.

I don't really want to get into the Thor/Ghost disscussion atm but personally I liked the original Thor the best with maybe a change of ability and I think the Ghost is good as is with maybe a few ability tweaks.

2. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    I almost completely agree with you.

I think your Reaper idea is good too. The Flamethrowing Reaper thing is just something that Jon and I wanted for the longest time, not for our personal preferences but for the sake of Balance and Function. I only suggested those ideas as ideas, nothing more, since someone asked. I really don't think there is only one or two ways to get something right.

Agree completely about the Thor and Ghost as well. I think people think I'm anti-Ghost, but I'm not. I just speculate that it's one big reason why Blizzard has been fumbling all over the place with Terran.

EDIT: Thanks for your sig LK. Reminded me to vote for us. And yes! we are number 1. Screw StarCraft2 China and the other weak sites below it.

3. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    quantity != quality
    Frankly I don't even understand how he can write so much

As for the marauder I think it will be a useful unit since marines are most effective when kiting and the ability to stun enemies makes it easier to kite.

Not sure about reapers. If one of the infantry needs cutting I say get rid of the. With the ghost being earlier I don't think we need 2 base infiltration units

Th ghost dos probably need more work. I think Blizzard made quite a mess for themselves by trying to make the ghost to usefull and mltipurpose and ended up with the ubercaster then subsequently having to cut this and that to make it more in line with the rest of the casters

4. CannonFodder

CannonFodder New Member

Somewhere near you
    @remy darn... i would like to read them

5. Ensomgrav

Ensomgrav New Member

One thing i've noticed is that every one seems to have a problem with is the Jackals rail gun.
    It should have a napalm gun, and much like traditional napalm it should stick the target for a set amount of time, and deal damage while stuck to the target. It sounds imbalanced and i know alot of you are revving up your dirty little flamer fingers,but hear this out before you shoot it down.

Lorewise, after some thinking i believe this works, heres why.
    The Firebat was a great tool against the mounting conflicts with protoss and zerg forces, but on his own he was slow, and the vulture scout bike was effective, but the grenades fired slowly and did poorly against large crowds of rapidly advancing enemies (imagine upgraded speed zerglings or charging zealots). Terran mechanics scratched their stubbly chins trying to innovate either unit for a while, when one welded the firebats flamethrower to a vulture, the newly christened jackal was an instant hit among the old vulture riders.

Why i think it would work in the gameplay mechanics, sure the Jackal has the speed and mobility of the vulture, and the AOE of the firebat, with new sticky flames, but its meant to be more of a harasser, and an early game anti infantry recon vehicle. The armors too light for a straight forward fight with out some serious support. Its better then the railgun equipped jackal by far.

6. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    That right there kinda proves my point about the Ghost. People are starting to confuse what it's supposed to be, I think Blizzard included. The Ghost is supposed to be Terran's level 2 caster(used to be Terran level 3 caster), but it's overstepping its boundaries. Not that we must have strict boundaries and anything else is unthinkable, but if it starts to effect the rest of the Terran lineup and turn it into a mess, it's a problem.

They're(Blizz) trying to get away with having a really really damn good Ghost and only have a pseudo level 1 caster in the form of the Marauder. OMG it's not a caster you say? Then what's it doing next to other combat units slowing them down for the ranged fire to slaughter? What else does it do besides supplement ranged attackers in such a way? Nada.

I'm telling ya, Marauder ain't it. I might look OK now, but Terran can have it better, especially on the bigger picture. Just fine tune the Ghost(I said fine tune, not nerf, if you assume one over the other, it ain't my fault), bring back the Medic and be very careful about what to do with her. It'll be a much better direction at this point. I can't honestly believe Blizzard knows what it's doing, it looks like they're messing around in the dark with Terran. Like they hope doing it mindlessly will have the perfect thing fall into their laps by surprise or something...

7. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    It destroys vehicles Great for bunker work

8. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    Are you talking about the Thor? And if it is the Thor, then you must be talking about the old, "cool" one...??

9. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Yes I am.

Now its some kind of bastard Goliath replacement that wont even fit in a dropship
    Blizzard has been trying too hard to find a niche for it. I think they had it right the first time with the all purpose assault mech.

Its title used to be "Ultimate Heavy Assault Mech" once upon a time now its a dying unit. Its kinda sad

10. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    Agreed. I never saw what all that overlap with the tank was.

11. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    Is the Thor's title "Little Troll Bastard" now?

12. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    Thor - Totally useless piece of crap we'll scrap from our game because we thought it was good but we screwed up terribly so we're going to delete all records of it mech

13. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    LOL, hope they don't really do that. Thor has a lot of fans. Well, the old one did anyway.

Anyway, the Jackal has to go, or take on some big changes. And the rest of the Terran mess needs to be cleaned up.

14. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    They way I see it (I know I say this every week) is that Blizzard is mostly just trying crazy out of this world ideas to see what we like and they still haven't decided what to do with anything yet

15. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    I think they're just bored. They should go back to their Blizzcon build.

16. CannonFodder

CannonFodder New Member

Somewhere near you
    I wish the Thor would go back to its assault mech status....
    while I making wishes that will never come true, i wish that i hand four hands and an inside source on BLIZZARD.

17. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Damned exam! I missed so much!
    This is going back a few pages, but I'd just like to briefly comment on the new Ghost. It's not a Tier 3 caster than can be sitting at Tier 1 because it doesn't have all its abilities then. Early on it only has small abilities like Snipe and Cloak, but as the player techs higher, they'll be able to unlock more abilities. Nuke was an example of one of the later abilities. Regardless of how often it's used and how difficult it is to set up, a successful Nuke instantaneously gets the Ghost to the utmost pinnacle of his damage dealing game.
    I'm sure that Blizzard won't allow for any unused spells or units to be in the release version of StarCraft2, and I very much doubt they'd axe the Nuke. If Blizzard tests tweaking and modifying some of the stats, like the costs, timers and damage, I'm sure it'll become much more useful.
    The main thing that annoys me about the Jackal is that it lead to the removal of the Banshee's area of effect attack. The Banshee was absolutely awesome, but they replaced its attack with the lame and extremely unoriginal Jackal. Cut the Jackal and replace the Banshee's attack, I say!

18. CannonFodder

CannonFodder New Member

Somewhere near you
    i agree the banshee was a cool stealth bomber unit that was unlike any other in the StarCraft universe. While i do like the jackal, i think that the banshee is a much better unit as a whole and is better in its old AoE attack format.

19. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    The old attack was great for dealing with infantry, unlike a lot of the other Terran area of effect attackers, and, as you said, when combined with Cloak, it became an ultimate stealth fighter taking its victims completely by surprise. Instead of it being 'OMG! Half my infantry just got absolutely annihilated by the Banshee's awesome area of effect attack!' it's more like 'Oh, a couple of my units have been killed by the Banshee's single target attack. Good thing it only has a lame, single target attack so that I have enough time to react'. Ok, that was a slight exaggeration, but my point remains valid.

20. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    StarCraft 1 has an ass load of useless crap in it even after 10 years, don't make me pull out that whole old ass Units That Sucked thing...

I don't know where you're getting that kind of miraculous faith from Hex, but I would say the opposite. Even if SC2 development looked absolutely perfect right now, I would still say that "I'm sure that Blizzard sure ass hell would still end up with unused spells and units in the release version of StarCraft2." And that's even if it looked perfect, Terran is a mess right now and Zerg is ehh~ You are dreaming up a fat one if you really believe that every SC2 unit and spell would be used in real multiplayer games.

As for the Banshee losing its AoE, the reasoning behind it is actually to strengthen/fix a weakness, as spreading your unit out made Bashee attacks useless. Though I hate the Jackal, I wouldn't blame that one on it. But... then again, if it makes you hate it more, then hell, blame it up.