1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Terran Jackal

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Psionicz, Feb 26, 2008.

Terran Jackal

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Psionicz, Feb 26, 2008.

1. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    Zergalicious im giving up too... Im having 3 discussens going with this guy, and its the same fucking shit in all discussens, I dont even think he played starcraft 1...

2. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

LOL specially @ facepalm.

i dont have a problem with DE.50 coz he is just arguing with physics etc which is presently and realistically is right.

but i will debate against who think hover engine for the jackal does not travel faster or not terran like or is not practical etc.

3. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Hovering eliminates a major aspect of friction from two surfaces rubbing together being the wheels and the ground. Hovering means less forces at work to slow the object down. That means it goes faster.

Thats my last word.

4. DE.50

DE.50 New Member

Washington
    Finally, somebody gets it. I am talking about know facts, not a theoretical future based on computer gaming, novels, and Hollywood. I mean I LIKE the jackal as a hovercraft since it makes sense that it is just a modified vulture.

Actually it depends on the amount of thrust parallel to the ground that means one can go faster than the other, but yes, theoretically a hovercraft can go faster.

5. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    DE.50 know im completly off the road... Are you against the hover or not?!?!

6. DE.50

DE.50 New Member

Washington
    I never said I was against it, in fact multiple times I said I was for it. You just assumed I was because I said hovering wasn't logically feasible. This has nothing to do with my opinion. As long as something that seems like it can be excepted is in SC2 I have no problem with it, it's the things that get into the impossible that I don't really like in games.

My first post on this topic was a response to zertual11, I just didn't feel like quoting him because it would take too long to trim down the article, my bad. Just try and skim through posts before you start berating me again, and I will put in the effort to use quotes.

7. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    As much as I like conversations with longs posts, this one is really getting out of hand. Even for my standards. I think we've basically come to a dead end with them. I've read your long post, and I'd be happy to reply to it if you think I'm just trying to palm it off, but these posts are getting really hard to follow, aren't getting to the point and are excluding a lot of other people from the conversation. Would you agree?
    I'll start by summarising my points. Don't quote the whole thing, just quote the point that you're referring to, and I'll do the same with your posts.
    1. Funding.The Terran don't really have money to burn. I'm not saying that they're poverty stricken, but they don't have any excess funds to pour into their operations.
    2. Excessive mechanics. Most other units do not have any excess mechanics. There isn't anything you can take out of them where they would still function just as well as they did before. Hovering is one of these excess mechanics.
    3. Advantages and disadvantages. There isn't anything to show that hover engines would be faster than normal engines (what's this hovering magnetic bullet train you were talking about?), and there is a lot to show that they'd be less stable, being the traction and friction.
    4. 'Wow' factor. As they are, Terran still use a lot of common mechanics that we use today. They're the underdogs. The fact that they're able to hold their own against the might of the Protoss and Zerg while still using modern day technology adds an amazing 'wow' factor to the Terran. If they were given all different types of futuristic technology, then there will still be an initial 'wow' factor relating to all the new things they've gotten, but once we're used to them, the 'wow' factor of seeing them compete against the Protoss and Zerg would turn into a 'So what if they can hold their own against the other teams? They're obviously able to.' factor, which would seriously detract from what the game could have been.

8. DE.50

DE.50 New Member

Washington
    Congrats on 1000 posts, sorry I am 1 late.

9. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

ok i'll make a summary as well.

you are basing it much on terran lore why hover is not good etc... but considering everything i said on my last two posts it is justifiable the terran can have hover vehicles for many reasons. the terran can easily create hover vehicles and it will not be a waste of resources since it perform better than the wheeled jackals. just a sample 1 bc = 500 or more hover jackals.. there is no financial issue here really... IF blizzard decided to go for the hover engines they can back it up and will not even talk about its cost or practicality like you do. its just that blizzard tried and thought that wheeled vehicles seems good and fitting too but it doesn't mean hover engines does not.

10. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    You broke the first rule right there and then. I said do not quote the whole thing, just the part that you're referring to. You posted the whole thing and didn't refer to anything, not to mention that mine was basically the previous post (with no disrespect to DE.50). Also, even though you gave reasons, you didn't specifically state what they were. Mine are funding, excessive mechanics, advantages and disadvantages and the 'wow' factor. When you're replying, please refer to the heading of each for your comebacks.
    It is justifiable that, by lore, the Terran would be able to have hover engines, but Blizzard would have to be the ones justifying that. Seeing as they gave it wheels, it looks as they won't. Using that logic, it is possible that, by lore, they can justify ballerina warriors, the point is they haven't, so there isn't much point in mentioning it.
    You say that they can create hover engines that wouldn't be a waste of resources, but the point is that it will cost more than normal engines. This is where the waste comes in. If hover engines cost x and normal engines cost y then the waste will be x-y. Again you say that it will perform better, but there isn't any reasoning behind it. Hover engines, might be able to be faster than normal engines, but the it works both ways. It's just like saying that normal engines might be able to be faster than hover engines. As you said earlier, we don't know what type of technological advancements they've made over the last few years, so maybe they've developed an amazingly fast normal engine.
    Where did you get one Battlecruiser is equal to over five hundred Jackals? According to this, seeing as Battlecruisers used to cost 400 minerals and 300 gas, the Jackals would cost under 0.8 minerals and 0.6 gas each. Comparing cheap units to expensive units is no way to justify things like hover engines. Marines are much cheaper than Battlecruisers, that doesn't mean that they don't have financial problems, nor does it mean that they can be upgraded with all sorts of cushy mechanics.
    There might not be a financial issue, but that doesn't mean that the Terran are going to spend money on stuff like hover engines. As I said in my first two points, they don't have tonnes of money to burn, so they won't be making units with excess mechanics.

11. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

i know what are you talking about terran not wasting money for this and that..etc. i understand what you are saying, but i dont think you got my point (tho that would be my fault since im not saying it clearly and with good sentence construction etc.) xp

that could be one reason why they choose wheel. But it doesn't mean hover engines are completely off limits for the terran. your lore the lore about it is made AFTER they got the wheels, meaning they could went for the hover engines instead and go for a diferent lore without even refering to its cost etc just like all other untis, the marauder, banshee, thor etc.

its just that blizzard choose it to have wheel...for many reason like maybe wheel could also look nice for the terran, meaning blizzard could also went for a hover unit instead just like the cobra was. its their preference and it doesn't mean its the ONLY thing that is right. OMG! vulture? cobra? flying buildings? your lore is just automatically place after and its timely perfect since the terran are practical etc.

i mean.... if they can construct hordes of battlecruisers in real life in which we really dont even bother knowing how many there are or how costly they are why not some simple hover engines? forget the funds lore coz a freaking viking is a transformer mech that is many times expensive than a simple hover engine. and we dont even care about the viking cost and practicality.

its just that blizzard choose wheels instead but not bcoz hover engines are not terran like or is expensive. its a preference, an experiment, a badass wow factor you call it, and other reasons why they decided tho put wheels. you can only choose one (hover or wheels)........both are acceptable lorewise obviously(this is where you dont agree)....but they went for the wheels.

12. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    I'm still not content with the statement that lore is afterwards, but I also guess that I was wrong when I said it comes before. Basically, I reckon that they come at the same time. If someone was designing a unit like the Colossus or Mothership, as they're producing it, you'd get an understanding of what the lore behind it is. The same goes for any other unit they design, as it's being drawn, you can get an idea of where it comes from and what it's all about. Obviously this is changed slightly when there are already pre-existing teams, but I still don't believe that lore comes afterwards.
    Flying buildings, Battlecruisers and stuff like that are a bit different. They're basically supposed to be really high in the atmosphere, further away from the planet, so gravity wouldn't be acting upon them as strongly. The change wouldn't be huge, but there would be a difference. Also, the battle conditions of these types of units and buildings are different to those of the Jackal. For example, Battlecruisers aren't really at risk of having a unit that's up to twice its size rush and hurl themselves right into the side of it. Vehicles should be suited to these types of situations, whereas Battlecruisers and Lifted Off buildings wouldn't have to be.
    The Vulture was a hover vehicle, but its been discontinued. The Terran obviously don't have a use for it now, which is why they've stopped producing it. The Jackal seems like much more of a front line fighter than the Vulture was, which could be why it's been adapted to more brutal battle situations. The Cobra doesn't really count seeing as the Terran never really actually had it.

13. 574RCR4F7

574RCR4F7 New Member

I just think hover is not for the terrans. It's just un-terran..
    Add some wheels... make it a motorcycle with autoguns or something...

14. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

vulture.

15. 574RCR4F7

574RCR4F7 New Member

exactly...
    Bring back the vulture with a gun turret!!!!

16. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    This is sc2 not 1.5.

17. 574RCR4F7

574RCR4F7 New Member

actually, sc1.9.
    Still closer to sc2.
    Siege tank is still in sc2, but with new design..

18. SOGEKING

SOGEKING New Member

The jackal reminds me the Pulsar corvette from Homeworld 2.

19. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    WTF?

20. Tankman131

Tankman131 Guest

i know this is a picture of C&C, but i think that the jackal highly resembles it and could be better if it follows the ideas of this

[img width=500 height=333]http://www.cnc-i.net/files/media/tiberium_wars/concept_art/nod-bike2.jpg[/img]

or maybe they could make this with a turret like the one on the bike above

[img width=325 height=263]http://kofler.dot.at/40k/units/Ultramarine_Land_Speeder_Tempest.jpg[/img]

P.S. i do not understand what you mean by railgun...
    do you mean like WWII rail gun
    [img width=500 height=281]http://www.missionmodels.com/files/images/t_17721.jpg[/img]
    or the magnetic railgun...
    [img width=500 height=303]http://www.powerlabs.org/images/rail_gun.jpg[/img]
    or do you mean something else?

P.P.S. srry for all the pics,but i couldnt think of da words to describe things