1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Terran is Getting Ridiculously Good

Discussion in 'Terran' started by DKutrovsky, Feb 9, 2008.

Terran is Getting Ridiculously Good

Discussion in 'Terran' started by DKutrovsky, Feb 9, 2008.

1. AcE_01

AcE_01 Active Member

Australia
    well look at it this way

would u want them to use their torpedoes on their shoulders....or do you want them to move their whole arms just to shoot air units?

i would choose torpedoes..it looks sexier..=]

2. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    If the Viking become their dedicated AA unit I think Terran would be quite vulnrable to air because the Viking doesn't seem like the fast agile response you'd need when getting attacked from the air, they need something which can respond quickly and engage the attacking air units effectivly. Having the Viking do this would mean you have less time to react to the problem since they gotta transform and if you choose to stay in air mode you would probably get outmanouvered then by the time you transform back to ground mode I'm pretty sure it will be a waste of time.

3. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    I never said it'll become their dedicated Anti-Air target, I just said that it is taking on more Anti-Air capabilities, meaning that it can defend well against air attacks when needed. It's similar to how Marines can also defend against air, but it doesn't mean that they're the Terran's dedicated Ground-to-Air units.
    Also, if you're attacked from the air, then the Vikings wouldn't need time to react because they can already attack air targets from both the ground and from the air.

4. Hunter

Hunter New Member

Hungary,Székesfehérvár
    Yes it is a waste of time, and a waste of firepower, since they vikings can't shoot while transforming, but they can be shoot by others.
    Back on the main subject: As I see, terrans are getting defensive upgrades. Minetower is for defence bunkers are for defence, sensor tower is for defence and scouting, planetary fortress is for defence, so is the siege tank - and they can also expand fast, or move the base with salvaging, but I think they won't have that hard attacking force.
    My opinion is that terran will play for resources. If they have enough, they can dominate, defend themselves with the equipment I mentioned, and use sealth units to weaken the enemy.

5. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    It's only a waste of time when transforming from Air Mode to Ground Mode in order to take on ground units, which it had to do before anyway. There isn't a reason to transform from the ground to air to attack air units because it can already attack them from the ground. This makes it more efficient, it doesn't make it waste time.

6. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    One thing I do like, where these Terran attributes are highly defensive, they can also be used offensivly too. And I am sure theres many more ways to use the Terran, we just gotta think outside the box.

7. Hunter

Hunter New Member

Hungary,Székesfehérvár
    I think this isn't sure now, we don't even know if there is a difference between the air to air and ground to air attack damage. Maybe they will make the ground to air attack weak cause of the balancing, so it could only be used as covering fire while the rest of the group transforms, or others come and help.

Btw I am sure that the air to air attack is tough, and has bonus against heavy armour, cause it's role is to take out capital ships.

8. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    True, if the Air-to-Air damage is more powerful than the Ground-to-Air damage, then there will be wasted time while changing forms, but the old viking wouldn't have had a choice anyway. However if both the Anti-Air attacks are the same, then having a Ground-to-Air attack makes it much more efficient.
    At the moment, it doesn't actually have a damage bonus against capital ships. However it is more effective against armored ships because it has a slower, but more powerful attack.

9. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    I think they just announced that to have our attention else where while they work on a AtA unit or even GtA unit.

Hmm maybe I should create a vote and topic on whether people want a dedicated AtA unit or a GtA unit?

10. Hunter

Hunter New Member

Hungary,Székesfehérvár
    @ItzaHexGor
    So you mean it also deals heavy damage against smaller ships.. Hm this means it can be effective against them with a bit of micromanagement. But still, the terrans miss a dedicated air to air fighter, against small, fast ships. (one like the predator was)

11. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    @ Zergalicious. People want both. Just having an Air-to-Air units or just having a Ground-to-Air unit won't suffice. Both the remaining Starport unit and the remaining Factory unit will need a good Anti-Air attack. Terran already have a tonne of ground support, they need more more than one dedicated anti-Air unit defending the skies.
    @Hunter. I posted this in another topic and it helped people understand how the armor system works, and why the Vikings are better against armored targets. I hope it helps you as well. Just ask if you don't follow or if I need to clarify something.

12. Hunter

Hunter New Member

Hungary,Székesfehérvár
    Oh I got it now. Nice description, thank you. But as long as the predator isn't in, we don't have any other chances to counter light air units far from the base. So you must fight with the viking.. In that case the differences between it's attack speed and damage in ground and air mode will decide which position is better for the unit.
    I said as long as, because I am quite sure that they will bring the predator back.

13. PancakeChef

PancakeChef New Member

United States
    We have very little info on sc2 and it's a different game from sc1. If I am stating the obvious then why do so many still complain and whine about these things.

The only thing we know so far is the units and what role they are suppose to play, along with some alpha footage of the game. In my opinion there is far too little information to state something like "Terran is getting ridiculous." Even if that is is opinion I am stating mine which is the statement has no weight due to the reasons I have provided and we are here to discuss aren't we?

14. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    No body is complaining its just his way fo saying it. And yes we are discussing =/ @pancakechef

As far as I'm concerned, the units which attack air so far are as followed:
    Marine
    Reaper (on a side not, don't you think it could be cool if the Reapers could attach their mines to units. Imagine the possibilities)
    Ghost
    Ground Viking
    Thor (normal attack can hit air)
    Air Viking
    Battlecruiser

Seems like they are missing a fast AtA unit.

15. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
  16. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    To me that just says it attaks ground units, I can see why you may think it would hint that it can't attack air but you can't be sure just by that alone.

17. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    OK, you have seen my proof, now show me any proof you got that says that Reapers can attack air.
    If you don't have any proof suggesting that it can, you should remove the Reaper from the list, as the proof I have is a lot more than nothing.

18. PancakeChef

PancakeChef New Member

United States
    Well considering what evidence you have posted the only possibility that it could attack air would be if they changed it in a later build or something which I doubt will happen.

The Reapers don't seem like they would be very effective against air either since they are more for hitting and running units from places they normally can't get to and air units can obviously out maneuver them quite easily since their attacks seem pretty close range from what we have seen so far.

19. Chax424

Chax424 New Member

A
    Check out this link to the Startcraft II Armory:
    http://www.sc2armory.com/game/terran/units/reaper/
    Its the unit overview of Reapers, and if you look at Attack & Defense you will see:
    Targets: Ground
    Reapers attacking air doesn't make sence. Good luck shooting down a chopper with a pistol, even a big ass one.

PancakeChef: If you browse around on that sight, you will see that all units who can attack air have that specified. I'm pretty sure Reapers are ground to ground.
    i understand were your comming from though.

So, for the record, that still leaves the Terran with: Marines, Ghosts, Vikings and Thor as GTA support. Which is more than reasonable.

20. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Ah it must be new info or a late edit cuz on that site is where I got the 'Reaprs attack air' from.

Also another thing I forgot is they said in the current build the Thor exclusivly attacks ground so thats even less. Now we have:

Marine
    Ghost
    Ground Viking
    Air Viking
    Battlecruiser